Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

• Tomo locked and unlocked this topic

Advert

10 hours ago, SFBT said:

Maybe. He was sub tonight.

Howkins played the whole game.

Going from 4-1 at half time to 4-5 at full time won't do their confidence much good. 🤓

Knowing Vale's luck it'll probably go the other way and give them a wake up call for Saturday.

14 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think last night has thrown up a few question marks. I’m sure he’ll start with bennett on Saturday, but should Evans come in to the midfield, drop Monty and put Worrall on the right with amoo on the left?

I think he will keep faith with Bennett for this game, but Archer will be knocking on the door very quickly. From listening to Askey’s interviews, he seems exactly the type of Striker he was looking for. Powerful (6.3 and apparently decent in the air) and has pace to burn to get behind defenders.

I also get the feeling he rates Jake Taylor highly, and will be looking to get him in the starting 11. 

The team I think he will pick on Saturday:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Crookes

Taylor    Joyce   Conlon

Worrall   Bennett  Amoo

Or he could stick with Monty and drop Worrall back into midfield again. 

Thoughts? 

Its a tricky one as Amoo has played his best stuff as a right winger... and accommodating Worrall out wide means shifting him to the left.

Could we see a Scenario where Bennett plays out left with Archer through the middle towards the end of the game? I far prefer Bennett through the middle but he was used out wide in Pre Season.

Isnt it nice to have a squad where this is the problem rather than the fact that we have no options!!

You can start to see what Askey is building and certain players have certain roles...

Cullen for example, IF we do need to move to a 442 in a certain game then Cullen works well there, or can fit at the number 10 in the 4231 formation. Pope, despite looking less likely to start will be vital in games where we need to calm things down and make it stick up top. Archer adds LOTS of options and is certainly the style of forward that Askey kept describing as his preference.

The joys of having a squad picked by just the manager purely for the benefit of the team!

I also think that Askey has a clear long term plan.

I totally agree that we are a quality midfielder short... But he stated that getting goals in the team was his big issue and from having just Pope and Miller last year we suddenly have a plethora of attacking options and equally impressing wing stock.

My guess is that this is his year to test the forwards and see which options work best in which combinations and scenarios. Askey obviously feels confident that the midfield can cope, especially as its slow and steady improvement that is required. No one is pressuring him to get promoted this year. And its noce to think that, all things being equal, Askey will be here for a few transfer windows where he can mould and shape.

Once the striker experiment has reached it conclusion this year, could we see a reduction in the numbers there and the extra salary being used on that missing midfield jigsaw piece next year?

The Shrews game showed that the backup players have the ability to add something to the team... the joys of a squad and a long term plan!

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team as last week but with that said, Cullen, Taylor, Kennedy and Archer all gave Askey something to think about on Tuesday.

Even Callum Evans had a good game and looked to be that bit of strength and toughness you need in the middle. 

Would take a draw here as Newport are a decent side. 

42 minutes ago, davehartshill said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team as last week but with that said, Cullen, Taylor, Kennedy and Archer all gave Askey something to think about on Tuesday.

Even Callum Evans had a good game and looked to be that bit of strength and toughness you need in the middle. 

Would take a draw here as Newport are a decent side. 

After them going 16 games unbeaten a draw would be a fantastic result... We just need people on here to keep calm and not fly off the handle if we dont get the result we want away at a very very very good side.

5 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I think he will keep faith with Bennett for this game, but Archer will be knocking on the door very quickly. From listening to Askey’s interviews, he seems exactly the type of Striker he was looking for. Powerful (6.3 and apparently decent in the air) and has pace to burn to get behind defenders.

I also get the feeling he rates Jake Taylor highly, and will be looking to get him in the starting 11. 

The team I think he will pick on Saturday:

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Crookes

Taylor    Joyce   Conlon

Worrall   Bennett  Amoo

Or he could stick with Monty and drop Worrall back into midfield again. 

Thoughts? 

Based on Tuesday night you'd say Taylor was behind Evans and Lloyd, who both had good second halves. Taylor did look good off the bench on Saturday. If it was at home I'd stick with the team from Saturday. I could see an argument for Evans away at Newport instead of Montano as I think he'd be the best of the 3 if we were under the cosh.  The advantage of keeping Montano is you're giving defenders essentially 4 attacking players to worry about and he is a little quicker than Worrall so will help keep both fullback honest. Worrall clearly has to play in one of his two positions. I think he'll probably carry on with the team from the last league game, unless he feels strangling Newport in midfield is the best way to get a result.

37 minutes ago, Smugsy said:

I really don't think the West Ham game will have any bearing on Saturday. Newport made nine changes in the starting line up from their last league game.

Only bearing will be their striker who has started all games so far & apparently went off with a hamstring injury according to their fans. Hopefully that's the case, I can see he went off after 20 minutes anyway. Also some are saying Inniss may have played his last game, the sending off was for an alleged bite so they may not want to keep him.

Archived