onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Strikers win games

Bob Newtonian

Looking at the subs bench from that awful game v Macc at the back end of last season and comparing it to the bench v Cambridge, we look much improved with better options to make positive changes from game to game or if necessary part way through a game... Pope, Cullen, Archer are all pretty decent forwards from the bench and have different qualities and strengths 

Given we also have Amoo, Bennett, Montano who can grab us a goal it’s pretty clear Askey has saved a large portion of his budget for strikers, making up the rest of his squad with lower budget midfield players who can get round the pitch and close the opposition down even if they don’t quite have the all round game everyone would like them to have. Similarly it’s what he s done with the full backs low budget but capable. 

As strikers win games it’s probably the best way to go given our financial constraints and low starting base.... steady and sure progression hopefully. 

E00A4B60-4C27-4D9F-B28C-13BCE4AC9C43.png

7595F9A0-1883-427E-8B0B-DDA8BE52B63E.png

Advert

Maybe so, but defenders win titles...

In all seriousness though, it's probably due to the fact we just couldn't score last season (lowest in the league, 39 goals). Our defensive record wasn't actually that bad, so he's obviously tried a lot harder to recruit in that department. Early days of course, but I don't really see the issue with relatively cheap options making up the rest of the squad if we can keep our best 11-15 players fit, & so far they appear to be enough to get points on the board. Manny should be seen as a bonus player rather than a regular starter too, as he'll probably only play about 25-30 games this season I reckon, & it's quite pleasing that we've managed to get 7/12 (& our first 2 wins) without him.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Maybe so, but defenders win titles...

In all seriousness though, it's probably due to the fact we just couldn't score last season (lowest in the league, 39 goals). Our defensive record wasn't actually that bad, so he's obviously tried a lot harder to recruit in that department. Early days of course, but I don't really see the issue with relatively cheap options making up the rest of the squad if we can keep our best 11-15 players fit, & so far they appear to be enough to get points on the board. Manny should be seen as a bonus player rather than a regular starter too, as he'll probably only play about 25-30 games this season I reckon, & it's quite pleasing that we've managed to get 7/12 (& our first 2 wins) without him.

So are we a better team without him? (when fit i still see him as number one pick) I'm guessing he'll be close to fit on Saturday. If he picks him one of Worrall, Conlon (left side so unlikely), Joyce, Worrall or Montano drops out. If he doesn't pick him who to drop from the bench? Evans and Kennedy are defensive cover, Taylor did well and the other 3 are forwards.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

We've played six league games and scored in all of them.  The most consecutive league games in which we scored at any time last year was three. 

That's a great stat!

Hopefully we can put some consecutive clean sheets together too! Don't think we managed back to back clean sheets last season did we?

7 hours ago, JRC said:

So are we a better team without him? (when fit i still see him as number one pick) I'm guessing he'll be close to fit on Saturday. If he picks him one of Worrall, Conlon (left side so unlikely), Joyce, Worrall or Montano drops out. If he doesn't pick him who to drop from the bench? Evans and Kennedy are defensive cover, Taylor did well and the other 3 are forwards.

Wouldn't say we're ever better without him no, he's easily one of the best players we have. I just mean that we look far more capable on the field despite his injury this season, whereas we tended to struggle before.

I personally like the variety we now have. Amoo, Montano, Worrall are pacy and can also produce match winning flashes of quality. I suspect Browne will be the same when fit. The competition provided by Bennett gives us an alternative "big man" to Pope and (I suspect) will spur Tom on to regain his place. Cullen looks to be one of those clever players who can equally score or create if he can stay fit. 

Last season it was very much one dimensional with Pope the only one looking like a consistent scorer. This season you could make cases for Amoo, Bennett and Pope to all potentially be in double figures by May which is a much better situation than last season.

I was also glad to see Smith score - since that 2016-17 season when Streete and Smith scored a hatful between them, we've also been missing half a dozen goals from the big lads at the back for a couple of seasons now.

I personally like the variety we now have. Amoo, Montano, Worrall are pacy and can also produce match winning flashes of quality. I suspect Browne will be the same when fit. The competition provided by Bennett gives us an alternative "big man" to Pope and (I suspect) will spur Tom on to regain his place. Cullen looks to be one of those clever players who can equally score or create if he can stay fit. 
Last season it was very much one dimensional with Pope the only one looking like a consistent scorer. This season you could make cases for Amoo, Bennett and Pope to all potentially be in double figures by May which is a much better situation than last season.
I was also glad to see Smith score - since that 2016-17 season when Streete and Smith scored a hatful between them, we've also been missing half a dozen goals from the big lads at the back for a couple of seasons now.

Have to agree Rob I think we have competition for places all over the pitch and we simply didn’t have that last season , my only worry is that the likes of archer and Cullen are they going to get much game time with the system Askey uses ? When manny comes back I would keep Worrall in the middle and drop Conlon as I feel he doesn’t offer much . Interestingly Conlon is missing tonight so it will be an opportunity for someone to come in and do well , like I said the squad is far stronger this season

we cant just rely on the strikers we need other players to score as well players like Worrall conlon joyce need to take a pot shot from now and then, our set pieces need working on players like legge ad bennett should get chances from them. gibbo makes some great runs and it would be good if he had a go at goal now and then.

1 hour ago, t.punchard said:

we cant just rely on the strikers we need other players to score as well players like Worrall conlon joyce need to take a pot shot from now and then, our set pieces need working on players like legge ad bennett should get chances from them. gibbo makes some great runs and it would be good if he had a go at goal now and then.

Totally agree on goals. The midfielders have to chip in, Worralls chance at Newport is probably one of the best chances we’ve created all season.  I’m pretty sure that Gibbos had a shot in most of the games we’ve played, he’s  forced a couple of decent saves and hit the bar if memory serves me correctly. 

Archived