onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town

Fosse69

Poor first half where we faded after an encouraging first ten minutes or so.  Too much booting it to Pope who was winning very little agains the giant Ebanks-Landell.  Second half was much better and Jordan Archer looked very impressive in his short time on the pitch showing great pace and scoring the winning goal.

Nobody had a mare which is encouraging from half a reserve team.

Advert

I certainly didn't see Pope go off in disgust tonight. He could have no complaints having been dominated again by the central defender. What did stand out was how much better we looked with Archer's pace up front. A very promising start. Kennedy fitted in very well with Smith, and Taylor looked very comfortable in midfield. Early days but things look positive.

22 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Poor first half where we faded after an encouraging first ten minutes or so.  Too much booting it to Pope who was winning very little agains the giant Ebanks-Landell.  Second half was much better and Jordan Archer looked very impressive in his short time on the pitch showing great pace and scoring the winning goal.

Nobody had a mare which is encouraging from half a reserve team.

Great to see Archer went toe to toe with Ebanks-Landell too when he came on... wasn’t bullied, held the ball up well on occasion... add that to his 6ft 3 frame and the fact that he is rapid... could be a cracking find! Especially if he has an eye for goal.

Askey has said right from the beginning that he likes big mobile strikers... looks like he may have found one!

I thought tonight proved that we have a far better squad than last season,and far more options coming off the bench,one of Askeys problems will be keeping some of the squad happy,when you consider Pope....Bennett.....Cullen.......Archer 3 of those are markably better than last season someone is going to be disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great to see Archer went toe to toe with Ebanks-Landell too when he came on... wasn’t bullied, held the ball up well on occasion... add that to his 6ft 3 frame and the fact that he is rapid... could be a cracking find! Especially if he has an eye for goal.

Askey has said right from the beginning that he likes big mobile strikers... looks like he may have found one!

Said exactly the same thing about Archer young, mobile and a turn of pace.

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Where does Pope stand now...he went off in disgust at being subbed. Is he now behind two strikers?

No surprise he was subbed but to be fair it worked as everything was being punted up in the air and getting no where. He needs to get back to his 2012 form of scoring with ball to feet...sadly I think that era has passed

I think the way Askey wants to play limits Pope’s opportunities. Good to throw on if we are chasing / seeing out a game though. 

This lad Archer could be a find. Be interesting to see how he does in a league game.

Anyway, good result, onwards and forwards. UTV.  

When Archer came on the pace of the whole team seemed to go up a couple of notches. It was like someone had found the gear lever and changed to a more appropriate gear. Once we attached with speed they didnt seem to understand what had happened and it took them up until they were 2-1 down to realise that they also had to attack with speed. On the showings tonight there were a few good individual performances and some could go into the first team, but unfortunately Tom is not one of them. The other sad thing about tonight was Monty's crossing - absolute tripe, whereas his other play was quite good - He get the ball out wide, goes on a mazey run and then puts a cross in that is 10 feet above the strikers and floates out of play.  The best bit for me was when Askey paired Cullen with Archer - They could be an exciting pair both are pacey and both seemed to be looking to see which of them was in the better position rather than being greedy bustards .  Not a bad showing for a first pairing and must give Askey food for thought about chucking one or both into the first team. Quite happy with tonight. 

First 15 we looked lively then for the rest of the half they got on top by dominating the midfield. Second half the midfield 3 upped their game and we had a slight advantage. Archer looked a find when he came on. Cullen slotted in well playing a similar role to Worrall in a more advanced midfield position. Over the 90 minutes as a whole sure this gives Askey food for thought.

What a much improved second half it was. It looked like we defended a bit higher up the pitch and pressed them a bit better too. But we certainly got our rewards for it and they were nowhere as effective as they were in the first half. Monty, Amoo and the 3 deeper midfields got in to the game a bit more and certainly Lloyd and Evans put in better performances in the second half. Maybe Evans could play that role in the midfield in the future?  Amoo looked more interested second half as well.

Archers introduction made a massive difference, not just because he scored but also because of his pace, it’s frightening how quick he looks. Same with a Amoo as well, he chased his own pass at one point and gave a defender a good 6-10 yard start and beat him to it. Cullen also added a threat when he came on as well.

Yet again worrall showed what a difference he can make on the wing rather than being stuck in centre midfield too. His partnership with a Gibbons looks really good and talk about desire.... Gibbons played a pass to a worrall and was the only player who made up half the pitch or more to get on the end of a return from worrall and we got what we deserved as he crossed for the second goal. That’s the kind of effort I want to see in the shirt, around us he was our MOTM. I think pretty much everyone had a good second half though, Kennedy improved and did well defensively and looks good on the ball too (despite him taking some risks at times). Taylor I felt struggled to get in to the game and didn’t quite make the same contribution as Lloyd and Evans in that second half. I think it’s pleasing to see the options we have off the bench now. 

7 hours ago, pensioner said:

When Archer came on the pace of the whole team seemed to go up a couple of notches. It was like someone had found the gear lever and changed to a more appropriate gear. Once we attached with speed they didnt seem to understand what had happened and it took them up until they were 2-1 down to realise that they also had to attack with speed. On the showings tonight there were a few good individual performances and some could go into the first team, but unfortunately Tom is not one of them. The other sad thing about tonight was Monty's crossing - absolute tripe, whereas his other play was quite good - He get the ball out wide, goes on a mazey run and then puts a cross in that is 10 feet above the strikers and floates out of play.  The best bit for me was when Askey paired Cullen with Archer - They could be an exciting pair both are pacey and both seemed to be looking to see which of them was in the better position rather than being greedy bustards .  Not a bad showing for a first pairing and must give Askey food for thought about chucking one or both into the first team. Quite happy with tonight. 

Would be nice to start with Archer and Cullen up front against Newport especially as they could be playing against Howkins and Innis.

But I suppose it will be back to 1 up front playing hoofball.

47 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Would be nice to start with Archer and Cullen up front against Newport especially as they could be playing against Howkins and Innis.

But I suppose it will be back to 1 up front playing hoofball.

We haven't played Hoofball at all Ernie. Cambridge wasn't great but the other 2 homes were good performances. I've only been to Salford so far but will be at Newport on Saturday, so can't comment on Colchester or Grimsby. Salford was a decent performance with plenty of chances created.

We do not play Hoofball with the one up front, we play fast attacking football. Yes there will be off days but don't have an agenda that isn't there. 

Archived