onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

The game was hardly a classic but we were the better side and deserved the points. Could have been a couple up in the first 10 minutes. I was delighted that Amoo created the goal because they were kicking him all game and had two men on him all the time. Well done lads. 

Advert

Boring game.

They created nothing and had zero efforts on target all game. 

We started brightly and we could have been a few up by half time. On the whole felt we played okay and deserved the win. 

Want to see Askey changing things earlier when the game goes a bit stale. We have so many options on the bench and I’d like to see him use them a bit more to freshen things up at 60-65 mins. 

8 hours ago, George said:

I’m more excited about today’s game than any match in the last 32 years. 

The reason being my son is mascot. He’s 5. Following in my footsteps as I was mascot when I was 5 on 18th April 1987. A 3-2 home win against Mansfield. 

Hope he brings us some luck. 

That Mansfield game was amazing.....think we were 2-0 down with about 10 minutes left and came back to win 3-2.

Glad your son continued the winning tradition!

dull turgid affair. but amoo was threatening throughout. almost let them in with a free header at the end but i think justifiably won think we edged it for large parts of the game. but one question still needs answering. why 3 forwards on the bench if youre only playing 1 up top at home askey? why are we playing 1 up top all the time at home ITS BORING ZZZZZZZZZZ.

Just now, JRC said:

Much needed 3 points looking at the next 3 games ... Newport, Plymouth, Exeter. The gods didn't smile on us when they made the fixture list. I'd take 3 points from the next 3 if offered it today.

Totally agree... 3 very very difficult fixtures. 

Lets all keep calm and recognise this is a long term view please OVF’ers.

Unfortunately I suspect there will be a few who don’t post this evening but will be waiting.... salivating... fingers hovered over the keyboard at the thought of these next 3 games! 😂😂

13 minutes ago, davehartshill said:

Want to see Askey changing things earlier when the game goes a bit stale. We have so many options on the bench and I’d like to see him use them a bit more to freshen things up at 60-65 mins. 

Danger of that is making things worse, like vs Grimsby. We were sort of doing okay and we won so ultimately he got it right today.

5 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

dull turgid affair. but amoo was threatening throughout. almost let them in with a free header at the end but i think justifiably won think we edged it for large parts of the game. but one question still needs answering. why 3 forwards on the bench if youre only playing 1 up top at home askey? why are we playing 1 up top all the time at home ITS BORING ZZZZZZZZZZ.

Askey said on the Radio, the minute we went 442 against Grimsby we shipped 2 goals.

I will take boring wins all day long... take a look at the oatcake and Stoke fans will tell you they would kill for Pulis and his boring wins right now! 

I also don’t think our other performances so far have been boring at all. The xG stats have us as the 4th best chance creators (based on quality) in the league so far. 

As Popey said on the radio you can see against FGR that the 3 up front really is a 3 when the 2 wide men get around the pivot up front.

Granted today was dull (except for the first 10 mins) but it’s a long steady progress. Askey is improving this team, we are better than we were last year, he will hopefully continue to improve the team.

7 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Danger of that is making things worse, like vs Grimsby. We were sort of doing okay and we won so ultimately he got it right today.

Football is a game of ifs, buts and maybes.  If we'd gone 442 Amoo may have been a bit deeper when he picked up the ball to start the rum and they'd have got the cover across to stop the ball into the box. 

Clearly you weren’t at Grimsby we went 2 up front.

8 minutes ago, JRC said:

Football is a game of ifs, buts and maybes.  If we'd gone 442 Amoo may have been a bit deeper when he picked up the ball to start the rum and they'd have got the cover across to stop the ball into the box. 

True. We didn't play great today, but we did generally boss the midfield. They were playing 4-4-2 and kind of making the case against 4-4-2. There was no point at any point for us to switch to 4-4-2. Just play better the way we were playing. Deserved win. 

13 minutes ago, toyahw said:

True. We didn't play great today, but we did generally boss the midfield. They were playing 4-4-2 and kind of making the case against 4-4-2. There was no point at any point for us to switch to 4-4-2. Just play better the way we were playing. Deserved win. 

Agree with this summary. At times we don5 help ourselves. Wide men receiving the ball on the wings often turning back towards our goal or playing back to the full backs,  Amoo and Monty supposed to have pace so let’s use it up the wings now and then. Also, without pointing a finger, how many times do we plant a corner straight in the keepers hands. Keepers will always be favourite to gather a ball chipped in to the centre of the six yard box. 

A scrappy game in which I felt a bit like I did watching us last season thinking we would make a substitution after they had just taken the lead. But this is this season and we showed plenty of resilience to battle it out and claim three well deserved points. Looking at the video of the penalty incident, definitely looked like a penalty but why do players go down so theatrically making the ref’s decision a lot easier.

Grimsby apart we have been the better team in most games imo which is a good sign,we certainly wont struggle.I don't get Crookes bashing I think he has been targeted in games yet has been decent apart from the odd one,i thought Taylor did well when he came on and COULD be the answer for when Manny is out.

I thought Montano was ok for a short while but then had a shocker,i wonder if Archer is capable of playing on the left of a 3..I also think Pope is going to struggle to start games under Askey now

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Solid 3 points that. We were better throughout but wasteful again. Didn’t think the offered much at all but targeted crookes who certainly isn’t convincing at left back. Nice to have a clean sheet though good 3 points and onto the next one. 

How opinions differ,i thought he was decent and didn't do much wrong but that's what football is all about

Archived