onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stoke Relegation Thread

George

Advert

They clearly have serious problems with a highly paid squad that are way off performance expectations and really could go down. I'm not a Stoke hater, and it was common to watch Vale and Stoke back in 70s / 80s when you had to go to games to see top teams. It is two decades since I watched Stoke now and I have to say the incidents at Vale Park in the last Derby have destroyed my equinimity towards them. That was big time out of order by a large number of their fans. Especially jumping on the innocent woman's car in Burslem.
So I don't care anymore.

- Genuine relegation candidate team

- Disenchanted fanbase (there's about 300 of them in Boro tonight; genuinely reckon we take not much less to a game of similar distance on a Friday night, without the free coach travel)

- No academy players contributing

- Dire financial straits, to the point where they are entirely reliant on Bet365's altruism

- No clear leadership

- Another manager out of his depth, who is better off masterminding 1-0 wins over Andorra once every 3 months

- Average wage, per player, of £26,000 a week

- Soulless, 3/4 empty ground in the middle of a soulless industrial estate, miles from a town centre or any form of a pub

- Fans giving up 18 months out of the Premier League

- 10 years in the Prem and nothing to show for it bar an away trip to some Moldovan Province for the Intertoto 4th qualifying round and crying at Wembley when Yaya slammed home

- Clinging to the last vestiges of Tony Pulis football, the literal peak of their football club

- Spiralling out of control and no fans having the energy to complain

- Famous for going 12 rounds with the Hamil Road End urinals and sinks, and narrowly loosing on points in a hard fought clash

- Selling out our away end, bringing flares, assaulting sinks, only to cry into their pies when one of the worst teams in our history spank their golden generation which they'd spent millions providing a training centre for

Its a horrific time to be a Stoke fan (those who are still left; the gloryhunters quickly fled the scene), and I'm genuinely really, really enjoying it. Every loss, every child who tells their Dad "I don't want to go to Stoke this week" yield a celebratory fist pump from me.

Did I miss anything?

A reminder, Stoke owe Bet365 141 MILLION POUND STERLING.

They are incurring losses of 33.7 MILLION POUNDS per season despite gargantuan parachuate payments which run out after next season.

Their income is down 45% IN THE SPACE OF ONE SEASON.

They spent 67 MILLION POUNDS ON CHAMPIONSHIP FARMERS IN ONE SEASON.

They had THE MOST EXPENSIVE CHAMPIONSHIP SQUAD EVER (50 million more than the next).

Stoke aren't just bad in the present; they've got dire, dire financial issues running long into the future. If the Coates' ever decide that Stoke City FC is simply too much of a liability on their account books, the Lardies are in for a difficult time.

Dreadful running of a club; chuck money at problems until they magic themselves away.

Never mind doing a Sunderland, looks to me that doing a Bolton is a distinct possibility. But don't forget, they've always got superfan, Phil Rawlins out in Texas who's always wanted in, though I suspect that the mega millions of debt will keep him way out West. 

Oh, one other point. The Lardies were proclaiming that their relegation from the Premiership would cost the City millions. Last time I looked, all the established businesses around seem to be there,  but what is noticeable is that the business enthusiasm in  the North of the City is quickly gaining buoyancy,  thanks in no small part to the efforts of the Shnahans and a contribution by an affiliated football club that goes by the name of PORT VALE  They appear to be injecting life and energy into a forgotten land that has no mire benefit from Lards spending ten years in the Premiership than Chelsea being there. 

Good observation. I spouted on about benefits of PL but....

Oh, one other point. The Lardies were proclaiming that their relegation from the Premiership would cost the City millions. Last time I looked, all the established businesses around seem to be there,  but what is noticeable is that the business enthusiasm in  the North of the City is quickly gaining buoyancy,  thanks in no small part to the efforts of the Shnahans and a contribution by an affiliated football club that goes by the name of PORT VALE  They appear to be injecting life and energy into a forgotten land that has no mire benefit from Lards spending ten years in the Premiership than Chelsea being there. 

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

A reminder, Stoke owe Bet365 141 MILLION POUND STERLING.

They are incurring losses of 33.7 MILLION POUNDS per season despite gargantuan parachuate payments which run out after next season.

Their income is down 45% IN THE SPACE OF ONE SEASON.

They spent 67 MILLION POUNDS ON CHAMPIONSHIP FARMERS IN ONE SEASON.

They had THE MOST EXPENSIVE CHAMPIONSHIP SQUAD EVER (50 million more than the next).

Stoke aren't just bad in the present; they've got dire, dire financial issues running long into the future. If the Coates' ever decide that Stoke City FC is simply too much of a liability on their account books, the Lardies are in for a difficult time.

Dreadful running of a club; chuck money at problems until they magic themselves away.

There is an interesting thread on the oatcake (think I have managed to paste correct link) where by stoke are 22 in the top 25 for the biggest net spend since 2010 his includes all euro and worldwide teams) --Liverpool are 12th .. As a football fan makes interesting reading as Bournemouth n Leicester are in there too. Surely apart from the top teams who naturally produce their wealth (man city and Chelsea a side) this can't carry on and be good for football.

https://www.givemesport.com/1531453-the-25-clubs-with-the-biggest-transfer-net-spent-this-decade?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website-link&utm_campaign=organic-social

Just a thought - As stoke fans bemoan the lack of football knowledge off field ,,,would I be right in saying a certain John Rudge who helped us achieve our last footballing high was also employed at stoke when they began/started and maintained their prem stay and footballing high.

Interestingly if so, he left them at a peak the same as us then a decline followed, more interestingly he is back on board at vale as we are on an upward curve....maybe me, as obviously there are lots of other outside influences but certainly more than  a co-incidence if I have my facts right.

54 minutes ago, elav trop 1876 said:

There is an interesting thread on the oatcake (think I have managed to paste correct link) where by stoke are 22 in the top 25 for the biggest net spend since 2010 his includes all euro and worldwide teams) --Liverpool are 12th .. As a football fan makes interesting reading as Bournemouth n Leicester are in there too. Surely apart from the top teams who naturally produce their wealth (man city and Chelsea a side) this can't carry on and be good for football.

https://www.givemesport.com/1531453-the-25-clubs-with-the-biggest-transfer-net-spent-this-decade?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website-link&utm_campaign=organic-social

Just a thought - As stoke fans bemoan the lack of football knowledge off field ,,,would I be right in saying a certain John Rudge who helped us achieve our last footballing high was also employed at stoke when they began/started and maintained their prem stay and footballing high.

Interestingly if so, he left them at a peak the same as us then a decline followed, more interestingly he is back on board at vale as we are on an upward curve....maybe me, as obviously there are lots of other outside influences but certainly more than  a co-incidence if I have my facts right.

Said this to my Lardie mate last night.

Stoke don't have any 'football' people providing long-term vision for the club; they have CEOs, accountants, businessmen, and anlaysts making key footballing decisions with no in-depth understanding of the game, hence the litany of poor transfers, woeful managerial appointments, and inability to rectify it.

Every successful club in the land has a 'football operations' bloke in the boardroom; titles differ from Director of Football to Head of Recruitment to Chief Football Operator. They basically provide vision 5-10 years down the line, ensuring the signings fit the identity of the club, the club doesn't got attracted to whims/kneejerks, that managers suit the club and not the other way around, avoiding mass turnover and style shifts every 6 months. This ensures that a manager, who these days have a lifespan of 3-5 years at best, don't completely change clubs to suit them; the club has stronger foundations, and managers work within them to their own style.

Rudgey left Stoke at the end of the 2012-13 season, which signalled the arrival of Mark Hughes, and some short-term success, which papered over the cracks of them consistently spending big money on poor characters (Wimmer, Imbulla, Berahino).

I have absolutely no idea as to what Rudgey's involvement at Stoke as DoF was, but there seems to be a clear shift in poor decision making a couple of years after his departure, leaving no footballing brain at the top operating level. This can also be attributed to the increased authority of Scholes, and formerly Cartwright, as well as Coates Jr, but its definitely an interesting correlation in that Rudge departed and within 2-3 years (often the 'cycle' of a football team, and when the squad needs an injection of new players/ideas) the entire club has fallen apart at the seams, and they now face League 1 football and dire, dire financial issues.

The main problem as I see it at Stoke (and football in general) is that there are too many people behind the scenes making a luxurious living off the football gravy train whilst having little knowledge about what they are actually doing.

Whether you like Pulis or not, I find it difficult to see how he we would allow a player to be signed without his permission. Point in case Berahino. Yet this is now the norm in our national game.

Money is awash in the higher echelons of our national game and this attracts endless “hangers on” who, when the going gets tough, hide behind the ”it’s the managers job to coach these players” cop out to cover up their own failings..  

We need to get back to the old days where managers are responsible for player signings. 

At the higher levels, I don’t see this happening any time soon.

Archived