Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Fosse69

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

3 hours ago, old sage said:

When Bennett had a decent game and scored a fine goal I knew that he would keep Popey out of the team. Personally though I think that he is quicker than Popey and has a good left foot shot on him. In every other department he is inferior to Tom. Tom is his superior in the air, holds the ball far better and lays the ball off better than anyone else at the Club.

Try them both together with Bennett on the left by all means but for heavens sake to leave our captain out of the side is sheer folly.

Here we go again...oh woe is me I want Pope back in the team...poor touch when Pope tried to skew the ball in the area and ended up mistaking his touch completely...then had to fix his socks as they weren't tied properly...he had three quarters of the game to get that right.

Reverting back to Pope would be a good idea if Askey can constantly play two wingers who constantly cross into the box and it mat work a Bennett and Pope combination...but no way should Bennett be dropped he is way a bigger danger than Pope

Edited by whotobeakiller
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Here we go again...oh woe is me I want Pope back in the team...poor touch when Pope tried to skew the ball in the area and ended up mistaking his touch completely...then had to fix his socks as they weren't tied properly...he had three quarters of the game to get that right.

Reverting back to Pope would be a good idea if Askey can constantly play two wingers who constantly cross into the box and it mat work a Bennett and Pope combination...but no way should Bennett be dropped he is way a bigger danger than Pope

As things stand I’d have Pope as my first choice away from home, where we’re less able to play fluent football, more likely to get drawn into a game of hoofball and/or get overrun in midfield.

But whoever plays up front has to be helped by the midfield.

Our central midfield without Manny is neither athletic nor powerful.  I like Conlon and Joyce on their day but there’s no escaping the fact that they’re powderpuff.

That’s not to say that those two alone were culpable for Saturdays performance, the whole team and staff need to take a good look at themselves.

On 25/08/2019 at 13:20, TylerB said:

Really dissapointing. To lead 0-1 and then be right in the game at 2-3 it's almost criminal to lose the game by 3 goals. Grimsby were well worth the win but I thought they weren't anything above average. They have a big, ugly lump up front and they got balls into him and runners around him. That's all. And that was enough to put us to the sword on the day. Apart from Leon Legge I don't think we have anyone who's strong in the air. Pope can head the ball, but that's if the ball is put on his nugget. Crookes and Gibbons are like gnomes compared to a lot of opposition players when defending set-pieces and Smith isn't tall either. It's an issue.

With two home games coming up we'll have the chance to bounce right back though, and I expect us to. League Two sides are all capable of having an off day and getting turned over and yesterday was one of those days for us.

I don’t think it makes much difference that Gibbons and Crookes are small, you can get away with it in full back areas I think, (although I don’t think Crookes is that small actually). We certainly didn’t lose the game Saturday because of that. I think we lost it starting firstly up front where we played a forward who is not up for the battle it seems, where the ball didn’t stick or put their defenders under pressure. The 2 players either side of him didn’t press and allowed their defenders all the time in the world to get the ball down. The midfield 3 did not deal with the runners or screening the centre halves to stop that ball coming in to their centre forward or dealing with the second ball and knock downs. Those for me are the 2 areas where we lacked physicality and presence, centre mid and centre forward.  3 goals came from the simplest way with a runner not being tracked, one over Smith and 2 over Crookes. They are terrible goals to give away. Who was picking up Ogbu for the second? He’s ran off someone to become unmarked and for the corner someone else has switched off to the short and let the defender run off him to the corner taker. It’s all very simple basic stuff that can be rectified with some concentration. On top of that amoo and Lloyd offered little from an attacking point of view and with them 2 sitting off, a midfield 3 sitting deeper and we just invited pressure. 

• Like 1

not making any excuses for 5 terrible goals conceded but the way we play high press and chasing everything will 3 games in a week drain certain players and we won't see the best of them like amoo Worrall bennett a few others as well, Grimsby looked a yard quicker than us in the second half, doesn't he trust the signings hes made to come in and do a job for him ?

Edited by t.punchard
added extra

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:47, Iron Curtain said:

I always liked Callum a guy, I remember the game he went down injured ... Brown kept shouting at him from the sidelines to get back up when he went down clearly exhausted... finally he broke down.

a bit of better game management and he could have made a real difference.

On yesterday’s showing someone like him would be very useful indeed.

He is at Blackpool now isn't he? Another one that got away.

Edited by Rampant Zebra

Just now, Walka003 said:
3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:
Is that the same Callum Guy who now plays for South Shields I wonder? 

No, it's the one who played on Saturday for Blackpool

Yes, no point in singing "there's only one Callum Guy" obviously... 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
15 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:
Yes, no point in singing "there's only one Callum Guy" obviously... emoji846.png

They've got Alnwick as well the lucky buggers!

I’d take Brown any day.

I’d take Brown any day.
It's a close call as to who I'd rather have but age works in Jak's favour.

Still, Brown's easily one of the best keepers in this league and I'm very happy he's ours!