Fosse69

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Bad day at the office and so much unlike Vale,especially away from home.

It does show though that hoof ball can be successful at times,as long as you have willing runners off the ball?

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

It was bad but nowhere near double figures bad.

Not sure I agree Conrad. Their lad who scored the second shot just over the bar just before he scored. Hessenthaler has a free header in the box.  There was also 2 other chances on the edge of the area where thankfully their players passed instead of shooting. 

All came from us being shoved off or out paced in the middle.

we stand off to much and give to much space but I’m starting to think that we do that because we know we have no legs to get back if we get beat to the ball

I see some posters finally have their chance to post after a few quiet weeks.

We will hopefully finish around 15th this year, that involves winning some and certainly losing a few.

Terrible day in the office, needs improving... if some people could try and sound less pleased it would be good! 

• Thanks 3

We will hopefully finish around 15th this year, that involves winning some and certainly losing a few.
Terrible day in the office, needs improving... if some people could try and sound less pleased it would be good! 
You've become as boring as Ernie. Let people have there say instead of condescending jibes.
  • Like 3

Lloyd just isn't quick enough to play wide in a front 3. I resigned myself to his signing on the basis he played a lot of his more recent football further back and more centrally. He's just not quick enough to keep the fullback honest. You'd hope he's behind Browne, Worrall, Amoo and Montano for the wide roles. I'm sure Bennett out there and Pope or Cullen through the middle would have been stronger and helped us compete with a big side.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Who is sounding pleased? We lost 5-2 to bloody Grimsby!!! As far as I can see it’s the same posters....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheSage said:

Why is it that almost every team we play at this level is a team of giants? Grimsby have Hanson, yes, but a number of other tall lads too. I suppose we've had enough practice against lads like this in the past few weeks, what with Colchester's Nouble and Smith at the Cobblers. It's hard to defend corners and free kicks against these tall teams. Northampton and Salford scored from dead balls so we have to me on our mettle. It isn't easy.

Be interesting to see who replaces Monty. Maybe he will stick Bennett out wide and play Pope. That's a decent call, JRC. Or does he play Lloyd? A few options. Pope's height might be handy.

Newport county now have Howkins and Ryan Innis talking of giants.

40 minutes ago, vale@rocks said:

Midfield needs strengthening and not just because of Manny it needs to be a priority and done  as soon as possible.

Yep. Totally agree. No depth.

This and central defence replacements are the achilles heel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Keep saying it and keep getting shot down. But it’s pretty clear we signed some absalute <ovf censored>. Two injuries and we look completely thread bare. That midfield today was as bad as when it was tongue Kay and bloody Pugh in there. Defensive horror show of set plays. Really bad performance in every aspect that. And yes. Lloyd looks out of his depth (by a long way) 

With Lloyd in the team we are playing with 10 men.

Should have started with Bennett and Pope or Cullen.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

You've become as boring as Ernie. Let people have there say instead of condescending jibes.

Agree

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Agree

• Like 1

I thought the right choice today was to bring in Pope or if fully fit maybe Cullen. Bennett could move to the left with Pope. I could accept a Lloyd type player if the aim is to be defensive and counter, but 433 isn't a formation that does that. However, maybe the real problem here is a recurring one at Port Vale. Can't play 2 games a week, and the legs have gone second half.

11 minutes ago, Warren said:

I thought the right choice today was to bring in Pope or if fully fit maybe Cullen. Bennett could move to the left with Pope. I could accept a Lloyd type player if the aim is to be defensive and counter, but 433 isn't a formation that does that. However, maybe the real problem here is a recurring one at Port Vale. Can't play 2 games a week, and the legs have gone second half.

On today’s showing Campbell Gordon is worth a go in future .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

On today’s showing Campbell Gordon is worth a go in future .

May well have pushed himself in front of Lloyd. Hopefully Browne, Montano and Oyeleke will be in contention for the next game.

With hindsight we played too many first choice players against Burton. Back to back midweek games aren't ideal.

They bullied us today, starting with that nasty foul on Conlon in the first couple of minutes that went unpunished.  They were team if big buggers like Hanson and they battered us physically.  They had five shots on target and they all went in but Brown had no chance with any of them because we defended poorly throughout the team.  They had clearly watched us on Tuesday and decided they wouldn't let us play football like Forest Green did.  Bad day at the office.  Move on.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, JRC said:

May well have pushed himself in front of Lloyd. Hopefully Browne, Montano and Oyeleke will be in contention for the next game.

With hindsight we played too many first choice players against Burton. Back to back midweek games aren't ideal.

Agree, I wasn’t one of the Lloyd knockers but he did nothing today, Campbell Gordon didn’t do his chan any harm.

It's perennial strugglers Grimsby, not Barcelona. The fact that Arthur isn't that bothered about midfield additions is scary. Listening to fans who I've spoken to who went is scarier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walka003 said:

The reality is we have the same manager with the same players (bar one) as the team that finished 20th last year...

ummmm...Bennett plus Amoo = 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!