onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

When Bennett had a decent game and scored a fine goal I knew that he would keep Popey out of the team. Personally though I think that he is quicker than Popey and has a good left foot shot on him. In every other department he is inferior to Tom. Tom is his superior in the air, holds the ball far better and lays the ball off better than anyone else at the Club.

Try them both together with Bennett on the left by all means but for heavens sake to leave our captain out of the side is sheer folly.

Advert

8 hours ago, dantheman said:

Not sure I understand your post? Whose single minded? Seem to be plenty of people saying the same.

And what argument is not being backed up? I posted a few weeks ago that we carry players especially in midfield. 

I think it’s a real area of weakness and a concern that it doesn’t seem to be being flagged up by askey. Joyce is not a defensive midfielder end of. Conlon has some ability but no stamina and oyleke may have ability but that’s no good in the treatment room. We are crying out for an Andy Porter/ granty type who can do the dirty work. 

Not saying that all three midfielders are no good at all just that collectively they all lack pace, height and tenacity. Not a good combination for me. 

You want an argument backing up? Look at what other posters are saying? Someone even wanted Kay back. I liked Kay as a professional but progress?  Has to be a young energetic Callum guy out there somewhere surely. 

There are people on here who just spout bile for the sake of it. If you challenge the attitude you get termed a "happy clapper" - regardless of whether you think everything is rosy, or not! There is no let up from the abuse (hence "single-minded"); nor is there any attempt to back up their argument with facts. I agree with some of what you've just written - so you're clearly not one I was referring to...nor do i object to people having a contrary point of view, if it's backed up with stats, facts, evidence or logic...not just an ill-considered rant! It can even be just an emotional viewpoint - passion for the Vale is good, whether it's positively or negatively expressed...but, when you point out their factual errors they do not back down and never, ever, concede they may be in the wrong. Not "have a different opinion"...just "wrong"! I would love Vale to find a 21-year old Andy Porter!!! 

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

There are people on here who just spout bile for the sake of it. If you challenge the attitude you get termed a "happy clapper" - regardless of whether you think everything is rosy, or not! There is no let up from the abuse (hence "single-minded"); nor is there any attempt to back up their argument with facts. I agree with some of what you've just written - so you're clearly not one I was referring to...nor do i object to people having a contrary point of view, if it's backed up with stats, facts, evidence or logic...not just an ill-considered rant! It can even be just an emotional viewpoint - passion for the Vale is good, whether it's positively or negatively expressed...but, when you point out their factual errors they do not back down and never, ever, concede they may be in the wrong. Not "have a different opinion"...just "wrong"! I would love Vale to find a 21-year old Andy Porter!!! 

Fair play misinterpreted your post. 

First away game yesterday and arriving late and missing the first two goals (Mistakenly took  the scenic route through Buxton etc to M1 then  M18.180

The difference from Tuesday was clear to see...the Vale set out to play a physical long ball hit and hope game...this fed right into the hands of Grimsby who have the players to capitalise. Playing along the floor seemed to be too difficult to do...My frustration was that Vale decided yet again, to play the long ball in the air to Bennett unlike the attacking football they played in the last two games...why change it

The point is the majority of teams in League two are all full of six foot plus 'kroggers' and will bully teams that take a similar game to them...Vale have not got a team full of six footers so if I was Askey I would abandon this notion of playing long ball Home and away in any game....it just won't work and will NOT get the club out of league Two

3 hours ago, old sage said:

When Bennett had a decent game and scored a fine goal I knew that he would keep Popey out of the team. Personally though I think that he is quicker than Popey and has a good left foot shot on him. In every other department he is inferior to Tom. Tom is his superior in the air, holds the ball far better and lays the ball off better than anyone else at the Club.

Try them both together with Bennett on the left by all means but for heavens sake to leave our captain out of the side is sheer folly.

Here we go again...oh woe is me I want Pope back in the team...poor touch when Pope tried to skew the ball in the area and ended up mistaking his touch completely...then had to fix his socks as they weren't tied properly...he had three quarters of the game to get that right.

Reverting back to Pope would be a good idea if Askey can constantly play two wingers who constantly cross into the box and it mat work a Bennett and Pope combination...but no way should Bennett be dropped he is way a bigger danger than Pope

12 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Here we go again...oh woe is me I want Pope back in the team...poor touch when Pope tried to skew the ball in the area and ended up mistaking his touch completely...then had to fix his socks as they weren't tied properly...he had three quarters of the game to get that right.

Reverting back to Pope would be a good idea if Askey can constantly play two wingers who constantly cross into the box and it mat work a Bennett and Pope combination...but no way should Bennett be dropped he is way a bigger danger than Pope

As things stand I’d have Pope as my first choice away from home, where we’re less able to play fluent football, more likely to get drawn into a game of hoofball and/or get overrun in midfield.

But whoever plays up front has to be helped by the midfield.

Our central midfield without Manny is neither athletic nor powerful.  I like Conlon and Joyce on their day but there’s no escaping the fact that they’re powderpuff.

That’s not to say that those two alone were culpable for Saturdays performance, the whole team and staff need to take a good look at themselves.

On 25/08/2019 at 13:20, TylerB said:

Really dissapointing. To lead 0-1 and then be right in the game at 2-3 it's almost criminal to lose the game by 3 goals. Grimsby were well worth the win but I thought they weren't anything above average. They have a big, ugly lump up front and they got balls into him and runners around him. That's all. And that was enough to put us to the sword on the day. Apart from Leon Legge I don't think we have anyone who's strong in the air. Pope can head the ball, but that's if the ball is put on his nugget. Crookes and Gibbons are like gnomes compared to a lot of opposition players when defending set-pieces and Smith isn't tall either. It's an issue.

With two home games coming up we'll have the chance to bounce right back though, and I expect us to. League Two sides are all capable of having an off day and getting turned over and yesterday was one of those days for us.

I don’t think it makes much difference that Gibbons and Crookes are small, you can get away with it in full back areas I think, (although I don’t think Crookes is that small actually). We certainly didn’t lose the game Saturday because of that. I think we lost it starting firstly up front where we played a forward who is not up for the battle it seems, where the ball didn’t stick or put their defenders under pressure. The 2 players either side of him didn’t press and allowed their defenders all the time in the world to get the ball down. The midfield 3 did not deal with the runners or screening the centre halves to stop that ball coming in to their centre forward or dealing with the second ball and knock downs. Those for me are the 2 areas where we lacked physicality and presence, centre mid and centre forward.  3 goals came from the simplest way with a runner not being tracked, one over Smith and 2 over Crookes. They are terrible goals to give away. Who was picking up Ogbu for the second? He’s ran off someone to become unmarked and for the corner someone else has switched off to the short and let the defender run off him to the corner taker. It’s all very simple basic stuff that can be rectified with some concentration. On top of that amoo and Lloyd offered little from an attacking point of view and with them 2 sitting off, a midfield 3 sitting deeper and we just invited pressure. 

not making any excuses for 5 terrible goals conceded but the way we play high press and chasing everything will 3 games in a week drain certain players and we won't see the best of them like amoo Worrall bennett a few others as well, Grimsby looked a yard quicker than us in the second half, doesn't he trust the signings hes made to come in and do a job for him ?

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:47, Iron Curtain said:

I always liked Callum a guy, I remember the game he went down injured ... Brown kept shouting at him from the sidelines to get back up when he went down clearly exhausted... finally he broke down.

a bit of better game management and he could have made a real difference.

On yesterday’s showing someone like him would be very useful indeed.

He is at Blackpool now isn't he? Another one that got away.

Archived