onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

12 minutes ago, Valist said:

What a difference a few days makes! I see that a few are suggesting that Bennett should have played wide left. I just don't see him as a player that can play that position. Yes he's left footed but he's a 6ft 4 target man and I don't think he would do the tracking back required or have the running with the ball skill either. For me we should gave gone Worrall right, Amoo left and Cullen in the hole behind Bennett with Conlon and Joyce sitting in midfield. Far more balanced...and keeps Lloyd no where near the starting XI!

I was flicking through their programme last night and the guy that played right back is a converted midfielder and yet all game we did nothing to pressure him or test him. When we went 4-4-2 then we should IMO have put Amoo out there to have a go at him. 

Advert

19 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I was flicking through their programme last night and the guy that played right back is a converted midfielder and yet all game we did nothing to pressure him or test him. When we went 4-4-2 then we should IMO have put Amoo out there to have a go at him. 

He started out as a defender. Notts County played him a lot in midfield, right wing and fullback. Despite his size he was, allegedly, the fastest player county had. I thought we might go for him as he's ex Macc Town. My nephew, who is a County fan, reckoned he was temperamental and his distribution lets him down.

13 minutes ago, JRC said:

He started out as a defender. Notts County played him a lot in midfield, right wing and fullback. Despite his size he was, allegedly, the fastest player county had. I thought we might go for him as he's ex Macc Town. My nephew, who is a County fan, reckoned he was temperamental and his distribution lets him down.

Had the easiest game of his life yesterday. However was he the one who put that tackle in on Conlon in the first minute? He should have gone for that. 

51 minutes ago, Valist said:

What a difference a few days makes! I see that a few are suggesting that Bennett should have played wide left. I just don't see him as a player that can play that position. Yes he's left footed but he's a 6ft 4 target man and I don't think he would do the tracking back required or have the running with the ball skill either. For me we should gave gone Worrall right, Amoo left and Cullen in the hole behind Bennett with Conlon and Joyce sitting in midfield. Far more balanced...and keeps Lloyd no where near the starting XI!

Bennett played wide left in the pre season friendlies and did lots of tracking back.  Whilst I would rather not see him playing there week in week out he would’ve been the best option in that position once Pope came on.

The manager has trusted the same side, bar one enforced change, that played so well against FGR.  We’ve been found lacking.  Hopefully he’s learned that we need more size and physicality in the squad. 

I  was a bit concerned when Conlon was smashed at the kick off.  We don’t have anyone in our team who’ll do that to an opposing player and set the tone that we’re up for a battle. I don’t see anybody with real appetite for fight.

It’s early days yet so no panic but lessons need to be learned.

Big wake up call.

Forgetting the fact that we are now stable and a 'happy' club and I'm extremely grateful for that.

We are desperately short to even consider threatening this league. We need someone to boss the midfield, Loft/ Cummins/ Brammer for example. I think midfield is the issue but saying that we shipped 5 and I never expected that.

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Nobody gets shot at for telling the truth - they get shot at for being simple and single-minded morons who cannot back up an argument properly, and are unwilling to admit when they are wrong - which is most of the time!

Not sure I understand your post? Whose single minded? Seem to be plenty of people saying the same.

And what argument is not being backed up? I posted a few weeks ago that we carry players especially in midfield. 

I think it’s a real area of weakness and a concern that it doesn’t seem to be being flagged up by askey. Joyce is not a defensive midfielder end of. Conlon has some ability but no stamina and oyleke may have ability but that’s no good in the treatment room. We are crying out for an Andy Porter/ granty type who can do the dirty work. 

Not saying that all three midfielders are no good at all just that collectively they all lack pace, height and tenacity. Not a good combination for me. 

You want an argument backing up? Look at what other posters are saying? Someone even wanted Kay back. I liked Kay as a professional but progress?  Has to be a young energetic Callum guy out there somewhere surely. 

10 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Not sure I understand your post? Whose single minded? Seem to be plenty of people saying the same.

And what argument is not being backed up? I posted a few weeks ago that we carry players especially in midfield. 

I think it’s a real area of weakness and a concern that it doesn’t seem to be being flagged up by askey. Joyce is not a defensive midfielder end of. Conlon has some ability but no stamina and oyleke may have ability but that’s no good in the treatment room. We are crying out for an Andy Porter/ granty type who can do the dirty work. 

Not saying that all three midfielders are no good at all just that collectively they all lack pace, height and tenacity. Not a good combination for me. 

You want an argument backing up? Look at what other posters are saying? Someone even wanted Kay back. I liked Kay as a professional but progress?  Has to be a young energetic Callum guy out there somewhere surely. 

I always liked Callum a guy, I remember the game he went down injured ... Brown kept shouting at him from the sidelines to get back up when he went down clearly exhausted... finally he broke down.

a bit of better game management and he could have made a real difference.

On yesterday’s showing someone like him would be very useful indeed.

Went the game but waited to try and give a measured post. The first half was a nothing half from both teams and halftime 1-1 was a fair score. Just one point I sat in the Grimsby stand as I went with a Grimsby mate  and the Conlon tackle happened right in front of us. A good hard but fair tackle for a 50/50 ball by both players. In the first half we showed few signs of our previous good form. Whilst we were combative there seemed little fluency, nothing happening down the wings and were resorting to huff ball which Bennett could not cope with.

The second half Grimsby came out fired up with passion and a plan. The Vale may as well have come out with bucket and spades. Last season my mate said the Vale were the worst side he saw at Grimsby. I told him this season he would see the difference. He thinks he has already seen the worst team that will come to Grimsby this season. Hope its just a blip, hate to think after a win against Forest Green that our players think they just have to turn up to win. Grimsby are a mid table team ( my mates words) and they will humiliate you if you dont give 100%.  

Can someone tell me what Tom conlon offers the team please ? it was a strong tackle but not a bad tackle against him tbh but I fail to see what he offers the team apart from an odd goal that normally is a worldy .

Him and Joyce and Lloyd were simply passengers yesterday. Worrall I thought was injured ( taken off ) but apparently not according to Askey

But the scariest thing yesterday was Nathan smith incredible lack of pace .also crooks just jogging back watching smith getting outpaced at ease

Frightening defending with completely nothing in midfield yesterday

31 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Went the game but waited to try and give a measured post. The first half was a nothing half from both teams and halftime 1-1 was a fair score. Just one point I sat in the Grimsby stand as I went with a Grimsby mate  and the Conlon tackle happened right in front of us. A good hard but fair tackle for a 50/50 ball by both players. In the first half we showed few signs of our previous good form. Whilst we were combative there seemed little fluency, nothing happening down the wings and were resorting to huff ball which Bennett could not cope with.

The second half Grimsby came out fired up with passion and a plan. The Vale may as well have come out with bucket and spades. Last season my mate said the Vale were the worst side he saw at Grimsby. I told him this season he would see the difference. He thinks he has already seen the worst team that will come to Grimsby this season. Hope its just a blip, hate to think after a win against Forest Green that our players think they just have to turn up to win. Grimsby are a mid table team ( my mates words) and they will humiliate you if you dont give 100%.  

We lost yesterday in the 13 minutes after half-time it took Askey to react to Grimsby's changes. Once we were 2 goals behind we were chasing it. We need to get one of the midfield players on the toes of someone like Hanson. If you make it difficult for him the quality of the second ball falls. Porter was as good as anyone at it and he wasn't tall or strong in the air.

Really dissapointing. To lead 0-1 and then be right in the game at 2-3 it's almost criminal to lose the game by 3 goals. Grimsby were well worth the win but I thought they weren't anything above average. They have a big, ugly lump up front and they got balls into him and runners around him. That's all. And that was enough to put us to the sword on the day. Apart from Leon Legge I don't think we have anyone who's strong in the air. Pope can head the ball, but that's if the ball is put on his nugget. Crookes and Gibbons are like gnomes compared to a lot of opposition players when defending set-pieces and Smith isn't tall either. It's an issue.

With two home games coming up we'll have the chance to bounce right back though, and I expect us to. League Two sides are all capable of having an off day and getting turned over and yesterday was one of those days for us.

Abysmal that all 5 goals were avoidable and after watching them was like watching a horror show.

If Port Vale are to move forwards as a football club the players have to show more courage than that and put there bodies on the line .

I remember a comment Micky Adams made once or was it Grewy anyway the same comment I’d imply to those who wore the shirts yesterday .

A bad day for those travelling supporters who expected see a lot more than what they did see.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Really dissapointing. To lead 0-1 and then be right in the game at 2-3 it's almost criminal to lose the game by 3 goals. Grimsby were well worth the win but I thought they weren't anything above average. They have a big, ugly lump up front and they got balls into him and runners around him. That's all. And that was enough to put us to the sword on the day. Apart from Leon Legge I don't think we have anyone who's strong in the air. Pope can head the ball, but that's if the ball is put on his nugget. Crookes and Gibbons are like gnomes compared to a lot of opposition players when defending set-pieces and Smith isn't tall either. It's an issue.

With two home games coming up we'll have the chance to bounce right back though, and I expect us to. League Two sides are all capable of having an off day and getting turned over and yesterday was one of those days for us.

Agree with that last bit, league Two sides and players are liable to have off days, if they could turn it on every week they wouldn’t be league Two players. Just that all 11 of ours had an off day at the same time.

Archived