onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

I don’t know about anyone else but come half time I just didn’t see that coming with us ending the game having shipped 5 goals. First half was really scrappy, and we took the lead as normal and let in a soft goal with the wall jumping with I think the ball going through them. Our best attacking work was going down our right, we got behind them on a few occasions whilst they hardly threatened, they were looking for the second ball off Hanson, who was getting frustrated and their other 2 forwards in Green and Ogbu were being well shackled. At the other end Bennet just wasn’t putting himself about enough for me and was hardly winning anything. But despite us not really playing free flowing football I just didn’t think we were in danger. 

Come the second half and I think they changed formation. Ogbu came off Gibbons to move inside and they basically kept a player on the left to just man mark / fill the space and stop / limit us playing down that right hand side. On the other side we offered little going forward and they got a load of joy playing in behind Crookes, too much in fact and that lead to goals. Bennet continued to win nothing, would it be unfair to say he looked like someone not up for the physical battle? In fact one challenge that he looked favourite for saw the defender win the ball and head it over Smith to allow Green to run on goal and score! Terrible defending and a lack of desire up front IMO from Bennett. We had no threat down the left, as already mentioned Lloyd has no pace and that meant their full back knew he was never in danger of being beaten. In fact when we went 4-4-2 I don’t understand why worrall played on the left. Even more baffling was him going off to be replaced by Campbell-Gordon, who had no chance of doing anything as he had no service, I don’t go along with the opinion that he looked good in that cameo as he hardly got the ball. When we got one back I really believed we could get an equaliser, but we shot ourselves in foot with the players outside the box not being switched on to runners going off them for a short corner, then to top it off for Crookes we got done over the top again for a 5th.

I think our midfielders and forwards didn’t show enough today, the ball was coming straight back to us too easily. On the subject of midfielders, that early tackle on Conlon was disgusting, arguably a red IMO. But that’s not why we lost, there were some players who I don’t think applied themselves enough today. This game also showed some areas we need to strengthen. An overall performance to forget, move on to the next one. 

Advert

I don’t know about anyone else but come half time I just didn’t see that coming with us ending the game having shipped 5 goals. First half was really scrappy, and we took the lead as normal and let in a soft goal with the wall jumping with I think the ball going through them. Our best attacking work was going down our right, we got behind them on a few occasions whilst they hardly threatened, they were looking for the second ball off Hanson, who was getting frustrated and their other 2 forwards in Green and Ogbu were being well shackled. At the other end Bennet just wasn’t putting himself about enough for me and was hardly winning anything. But despite us not really playing free flowing football I just didn’t think we were in danger. 
Come the second half and I think they changed formation. Ogbu came off Gibbons to move inside and they basically kept a player on the left to just man mark / fill the space and stop / limit us playing down that right hand side. On the other side we offered little going forward and they got a load of joy playing in behind Crookes, too much in fact and that lead to goals. Bennet continued to win nothing, would it be unfair to say he looked like someone not up for the physical battle? In fact one challenge that he looked favourite for saw the defender win the ball and head it over Smith to allow Green to run on goal and score! Terrible defending and a lack of desire up front IMO from Bennett. We had no threat down the left, as already mentioned Lloyd has no pace and that meant their full back knew he was never in danger of being beaten. In fact when we went 4-4-2 I don’t understand why worrall played on the left. Even more baffling was him going off to be replaced by Campbell-Gordon, who had no chance of doing anything as he had no service, I don’t go along with the opinion that he looked good in that cameo as he hardly got the ball. When we got one back I really believed we could get an equaliser, but we shot ourselves in foot with the players outside the box not being switched on to runners going off them for a short corner, then to top it off for Crookes we got done over the top again for a 5th.
I think our midfielders and forwards didn’t show enough today, the ball was coming straight back to us too easily. On the subject of midfielders, that early tackle on Conlon was disgusting, arguably a red IMO. But that’s not why we lost, there were some players who I don’t think applied themselves enough today. This game also showed some areas we need to strengthen. An overall performance to forget, move on to the next one. 
Great summary

14 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Not sure if it's intended but your post seems to imply that their manager did a job on us tactically after half time while we had no answer.

Then there are loads of other questions. Given that we might have expected a physical battle, why on earth didn't we play Pope up front and Bennet wide? Why didn't we play 4-4-2 from the off given our shortage of midfield cover? How come more or less the same defence as last season, so solid away from home, concedes five? These are just some of the questions buzzing round my head after our worst defeat for a long time. Can't think of the last time we let in five, someone mentioned 2003-04 but it certainly seems a long time ago.

Just hoping this is a one off!

9 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Not sure if it's intended but your post seems to imply that their manager did a job on us tactically after half time while we had no answer.

Then there are loads of other questions. Given that we might have expected a physical battle, why on earth didn't we play Pope up front and Bennet wide? Why didn't we play 4-4-2 from the off given our shortage of midfield cover? How come more or less the same defence as last season, so solid away from home, concedes five? These are just some of the questions buzzing round my head after our worst defeat for a long time. Can't think of the last time we let in five, someone mentioned 2003-04 but it certainly seems a long time ago.

Just hoping this is a one off!

Absolutely I’m saying that we had no answer to the changes they made and our management seemingly didn’t react to those changes quickly enough either. Teams will cotton on to the threat that the link up play between Gibbons, whoever plays right wing and whoever plays right midfield will present. They tried to stop it first half and failed somewhat, but second half those small changes worked for them.  Their 2 forwards got a lot closer to Hanson instead of being wide all the time and they got some joy from it. They also played on a Crookes by going over him and again they got joy from that too. I heard Askey say some players didn’t show up today, I agree with that, but equally I don’t think his decisions and a lack of tactical changes helped us either. I still think our left is a problem area and we’re lacking someone different in midfield that can boss it. 

Yep agree with the absence of an Anthony Kay type midfield player. Once we went down 2-1 we were chasing the game, it became open and in Ogbu and Green they had the players to exploit the space, our midfield was non existent and at times they were running beyond our midfield at the center of Vale's defense and at/beyond the full backs. I was surprised they took Green off.

Askey will have learned something about his squad today, lets hope he sorts it in the transfer/loan window.

They seemed a  mirror image of the Vale team but with a better midfield.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

They bullied us today, starting with that nasty foul on Conlon in the first couple of minutes that went unpunished.  They were team if big buggers like Hanson and they battered us physically.  They had five shots on target and they all went in but Brown had no chance with any of them because we defended poorly throughout the team.  They had clearly watched us on Tuesday and decided they wouldn't let us play football like Forest Green did.  Bad day at the office.  Move on.

‘Bad day at the office’ 

understatement of the year. It was bloody horrific. 

We’re in league 2 and the opposition were too physical not a good sign. 

We've got a small team (height-wise) in comparison with many others in L2 with players like Gibbo, Woz, Joyce, Conlon, Cullen, Lloyd. That's clearly affecting our ability to defend set pieces so far this season.

I'm pleased JA has kept an attacking 433 formation. I'd rather win one, lose one while having a go at teams rather than go all defensive away from home and still lose. 

We can all see that injuries will potentially give us big problems this season as especially in midfield, our fringe players look weak. 

Win the home games and anything we pick up away becomes a bonus. Hopefully the atmosphere and result from the FGR game will be replicated often over the coming months and years.

We are badly in need of an Andy Porter or Michael Brown type midfielder, a physical presence in the centre of the park to boss games for us. 

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Nobody gets shot at for telling the truth - they get shot at for being simple and single-minded morons who cannot back up an argument properly, and are unwilling to admit when they are wrong - which is most of the time!

Here we go again. You don’t agree with someone so they’re a moron. Ridiculous post. 

What a difference a few days makes! I see that a few are suggesting that Bennett should have played wide left. I just don't see him as a player that can play that position. Yes he's left footed but he's a 6ft 4 target man and I don't think he would do the tracking back required or have the running with the ball skill either. For me we should gave gone Worrall right, Amoo left and Cullen in the hole behind Bennett with Conlon and Joyce sitting in midfield. Far more balanced...and keeps Lloyd no where near the starting XI!

Archived