onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

The reality is we have the same manager with the same players(bar one) as the team that finished 20th last year. We have the same points as we did this time last year and have conceded more goals.

When your back up midfielder/winger is Ryan Lloyd, then how much more can we do after one of the first 11 is injured.

Today was hopefully a wake up call for askey, we need quality additions in midfield and defence.

Askey keeps saying he is looking at players to bring in and the time is not right yet.  Think today's game proves the time could be very right now with players picking up injuries.  Bring in a bit of quality maybe that know their jobs in midfield and can run it.

10 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Don't think Asley and Co will put up with today's performance and the players need to have a good luok at themselves and their performances today.

The shunters loose as well. 

We are a team that is developing, but today has shown they need to develop quicker.  As you say, a couple of these and the pressure will be put on the staff to change results.

Will there be a Manny style midfielder being lined up maybe now.

I hope so. This is all coming from midfield: no Manny, no Montano and then, when Worrall goes off, we concede two more. I said in pre-season that the midfield was going to be key because, self-evidently, that's where games are won and lost. Instead, we've under-recruited. Lloyd and Burgess simply aren't good enough. So you're right - and if we don't get more quality, we'll pay the price with performances like this one. 

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

It was bad but nowhere near double figures bad.

Not sure I agree Conrad. Their lad who scored the second shot just over the bar just before he scored. Hessenthaler has a free header in the box.  There was also 2 other chances on the edge of the area where thankfully their players passed instead of shooting. 

All came from us being shoved off or out paced in the middle.

we stand off to much and give to much space but I’m starting to think that we do that because we know we have no legs to get back if we get beat to the ball

I see some posters finally have their chance to post after a few quiet weeks.

We will hopefully finish around 15th this year, that involves winning some and certainly losing a few.

Terrible day in the office, needs improving... if some people could try and sound less pleased it would be good! 

We will hopefully finish around 15th this year, that involves winning some and certainly losing a few.
Terrible day in the office, needs improving... if some people could try and sound less pleased it would be good! 
You've become as boring as Ernie. Let people have there say instead of condescending jibes.

Lloyd just isn't quick enough to play wide in a front 3. I resigned myself to his signing on the basis he played a lot of his more recent football further back and more centrally. He's just not quick enough to keep the fullback honest. You'd hope he's behind Browne, Worrall, Amoo and Montano for the wide roles. I'm sure Bennett out there and Pope or Cullen through the middle would have been stronger and helped us compete with a big side.

16 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Who is sounding pleased? We lost 5-2 to bloody Grimsby!!! As far as I can see it’s the same posters....

9 hours ago, TheSage said:

Why is it that almost every team we play at this level is a team of giants? Grimsby have Hanson, yes, but a number of other tall lads too. I suppose we've had enough practice against lads like this in the past few weeks, what with Colchester's Nouble and Smith at the Cobblers. It's hard to defend corners and free kicks against these tall teams. Northampton and Salford scored from dead balls so we have to me on our mettle. It isn't easy.

Be interesting to see who replaces Monty. Maybe he will stick Bennett out wide and play Pope. That's a decent call, JRC. Or does he play Lloyd? A few options. Pope's height might be handy.

Newport county now have Howkins and Ryan Innis talking of giants.

40 minutes ago, vale@rocks said:

Midfield needs strengthening and not just because of Manny it needs to be a priority and done  as soon as possible.

Yep. Totally agree. No depth.

This and central defence replacements are the achilles heel.

Archived