Another shropshire valiant

Norman Smurthwaite bids for Bury FC

Would be good news for us if he decided to waive his payments from Carol and Kevin so that he was free to but Bury. Not such good news for Bury though judging by his previous performances as a football club owner....

Edited by Rampant Zebra
  • Like 1

Is he waiting for Bury to cease to be a Football League club so he doesn't have the conflict of interest with Vale? 

• Confused 2

Under normal circumstances any sane thinking person wouldn’t touch Fat Face with a barge pole. But these are not “normal circumstances” that currently surround Gigg Lane.

If Smurfthwaite was to buy Bury, wouldn’t that then mean that he would take on their debts ? I don’t see him agreeing to that ! 

Also, why won’t Dale just sell ? Unless this is brinkmanship to the n’th degree. 

Good luck to Shakers everywhere. 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Just shows how ******* shocking the 'Fit & Proper' test still is! How on EARTH has he already received EFL approval & completed due diligence? Did they not see the stuff he pulled whilst here?

Can't stand the guy, never want to see him anywhere near another football club again, never mind the league.

I think it was Smurthwaite himself who said he couldn't get involved in an EFL club because of his ongoing financial interest in Vale. Now since when do we believe a word he says. Probably a swipe at the Shanahans and setting his stall out daring the EFL to bring it up.

What is it with him and asset stripping lower league football teams? Maybe their sales department has a lot of "attractive" ladies? 

If he does ever succeed, I'm sure he'd be guaranteed a "warm" welcome to VP. I'd get on a plane myself and come over to give him the "welcome" back he deserves.

The brother-in-law is a Shakers fan, we go Vale-Bury games together. He used to feel for me. Now I feel for him.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Just shows how ******* shocking the 'Fit & Proper' test still is! How on EARTH has he already received EFL approval & completed due diligence? Did they not see the stuff he pulled whilst here?

Can't stand the guy, never want to see him anywhere near another football club again, never mind the league.

Obviously not much of a test. Smurf`s claim of substantial interest in the Vale as quoted in the press I find hard to believe. Substantial used to be 10%, whether that is still so I do not know. But of more concern to Bury would be his operation of a FC.

Interesting that if they do get kicked out of the league, there will be only 3 relegation places from league 1 and therefore 1 less for promotion from league 2. Makes a promotion for us this season that bit harder.

Not knowing that much about the behind the scenes goings on at Bury, but I keep thinking how so so lucky we were to have our supporters club and all the other "Groups" working silently behind the scenes to oust Smurthwaite. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Hov said:

Interesting that if they do get kicked out of the league, there will be only 3 relegation places from league 1 and therefore 1 less for promotion from league 2. Makes a promotion for us this season that bit harder.

Makes no difference Bury would in effect  be the 4th team relegated,  leaving only 20 clubs in FL1, thus vacancies for 4  FL2 teams at the end of the season.

I am with Fosse if Bury get kicked out then the number of overall promotions all round will increase or  the number of relegations will decrease.  The number of promotions will definitely not decrease, trust me its Maths 🙂

As only 3 teams would effectively come down with 4 going up still, would that leave an additional spot to come up from non-league to fill up L2 next season?

I've been trying to work out why Smurfwaite would want to get involved in football again if his time at Vale is to be believed ie threats of violence, physical assaults, health effects etc etc. I can only think that he has some form of a Messiah complex where he wants to be seen as a Saviour to the club. 

I really wouldn't know what to think if I was a Bury fan but Steve Dale is actually doing what Smurfwaite threatened to do so, and I can't believe I'm typing this, Smurfwaite is actually a better option at the moment. 

• Haha 1

Our previous owner has realised that football is a cash rich business.  I suspect that his reason for wanting continued involvement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1