onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tough start?

robf

So, four games into one of the worst set of fixtures we've had in a while and we're unbeaten, perhaps unlucky not to have two wins instead of one, we have new signings (whose quality was criticized by a lot) scoring goals and taking the focus off Pope, we have three young defenders doing really well and an attractive, attacking style of play.

I know it's a marathon not a sprint and there's a long season ahead but considering the praise that (rightly) goes to the owners for the changes they haev made in such a short space of time, I think a similar thing is due to John Askey.

Advert

Couldn’t agree more Rob... we need steady and sustainable improvement. Results and performances so far are reflecting that as well as giving us more exciting football to watch!

The much maligned signings are providing a platform of culture, team ethics and professionalism that, so far are paying dividends.

Long May it continue, and more importantly, when we hit bumps in the road (which we will) May the fan base keep their eyes on the long term!

18 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

I will echo that sentiment Rob, many Vale fans are quick to moan but slow to praise and we are looking much better this season than the last two, so credit must go to JA . We even managed to win without Manny, an all too rare event. Keep up the good work lads. 

Yeah and I think it can be "swings and roundabouts". We have a smaller, more close-knit squad but that can mean if we are unlucky with injuries we could have real problems (say if we lost two centre-halves to injury/suspension) but that's luck which a manager can't really plan for.

For me, what has impressed is the mentality of the players - even the youngsters seem well-drilled, link up with each other well and track back. The likes of Worrall and Smith seem reinvigorated after some tough times while all the summer worries about Crookes not being a "full-back" seem premature so far this season. I also like the "settled" element of the squad. It's noticeable after bringing in droves of loan players, we've settled for our own players so far this season.

7 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Couldn’t agree more Rob... we need steady and sustainable improvement. Results and performances so far are reflecting that as well as giving us more exciting football to watch!

The much maligned signings are providing a platform of culture, team ethics and professionalism that, so far are paying dividends.

Long May it continue, and more importantly, when we hit bumps in the road (which we will) May the fan base keep their eyes on the long term!

I was looking the other day at our recent managerial record. It's truly awful, knee-jerk stuff since Adams left...

Page (18 months), Robeiro (6 months), Brown (9 months), Aspin (15 months).

I've said time and time again that clubs thrive when the manager is selected, trusted and GIVEN TIME to create and develop his squad. Look at Dyche at Burnley, the Crowleys at Lincoln or closer at home Pulis (Stoke), Gradi (Crewe) and of course Rudge.

So, for me, if Askey is moving us in the right direction it was entirely right for the Shanahans to give him a three year deal and now stick with him. I don't think it's realistic to expect anything this season (if it does then it's a bonus) but if Askey continues to show promise we fans need to show patience and give him time. Not every signing will work, not every match tactic will come off, there will be disappointments along the way - but if he can continue the man management, the development of the young players and an attractive, attacking style of play then surely he deserves more than the few months the previous managers got...

A good start against what will be some of our more difficult opponents this season.

The problem is, we've been here before, especially in the Ribeiro era. A good start, then after we've been watched a few times and opponents know how we play they work to nullify any attacking threat and we end up losing a few, then go downhill from there.

The difference this season is we have a manager who's been round the block a few times and we have a squad of players that are more than capable of adapting. If they do then we shouldn't have a problem.

8 hours ago, Heatwave said:

A good start against what will be some of our more difficult opponents this season.

The problem is, we've been here before, especially in the Ribeiro era. A good start, then after we've been watched a few times and opponents know how we play they work to nullify any attacking threat and we end up losing a few, then go downhill from there.

The difference this season is we have a manager who's been round the block a few times and we have a squad of players that are more than capable of adapting. If they do then we shouldn't have a problem.

Teams will probably start to double up on Amoo, who is arguably our biggest threat. But that's when your other wide player comes into it. If an opposition is concerned with both of your wingers/qide players then they're likely to be on the back foot somewhat, at least for periods of a game. All you have to have is pace in this league and full-backs largely can't handle it, and in Montano, Browne and Amoo we have three players who will have the beating of a full-back 8 or 9 times out of 10. We just need to get the ball out to them as often as possible, and I think the likes of Conlon, Joyce and Oyeleke (when fit) can do that.

Heard a few people saying that it wasn't a hard start because the 3 teams we played previously have started poorly (or at very best, average).

For me that's absolute rubbish, all 3 of those sides will most likely get themselves back on track and be challenging at the top end of the division. We backed our start up with a good win against a side that had started well, so all in all it's a positive push. I'd love to see us unbeaten at the end of August. 4 points from the next two would be great and put us in a nice position. You can see there's more to come from the players if they finish the chances they should.

I was saying to someone the other day that the issue we've had in recent years is not creating enough chances to score goals, and that it is harder to start creating good chances than to actually finish them off. We are creating chances now, and at some point we'll start putting a good proportion of them away.

1 hour ago, stupers said:

Heard a few people saying that it wasn't a hard start because the 3 teams we played previously have started poorly (or at very best, average).

For me that's absolute rubbish, all 3 of those sides will most likely get themselves back on track and be challenging at the top end of the division. We backed our start up with a good win against a side that had started well, so all in all it's a positive push. I'd love to see us unbeaten at the end of August. 4 points from the next two would be great and put us in a nice position. You can see there's more to come from the players if they finish the chances they should.

I was saying to someone the other day that the issue we've had in recent years is not creating enough chances to score goals, and that it is harder to start creating good chances than to actually finish them off. We are creating chances now, and at some point we'll start putting a good proportion of them away.

Low crosses in the box find heads and feet, the more the better. 

Archived