Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

8 hours ago, robf said:

Monty looked concussed to me. Does football have the same rules as cricket. Either way, if he is concussed I would rather Vale took no chances and didn't risk his health by playing him.

For one reason or another he never seems to be able to put a run of games together. I think he has the potential to be one of the better wide players in League Two, but whether he finally starts fulfillng all or at least most of that potential remains to be seen...

Isn't Browne back soon? If nothing else he's quick from what bit I've seen of him and I think it will be a good and healthy battle between him and Monty for a place on the wing.

2 minutes ago, robf said:

Monty looked concussed to me. Does football have the same rules as cricket. Either way, if he is concussed I would rather Vale took no chances and didn't risk his health by playing him.

Yep, the challenge that forced him to go off was a proper clattering. Bit of a melee but I think I saw it involve two defenders desperately going in on him to block the shot. Down for an awfully long time. 

Got to give credit to John Askey and his coaching staff (and the players) but with just the addition of a couple of players the team is unrecognizable from the past three seasons.

When was the last time Vale had a player like Amoo who gets you out of your seat when he's starts to run at players. Can't wait for Satdee.

Great result for and performance by Vale.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

When was the last time Vale had a player like Amoo who gets you out of your seat when he's starts to run at players. Can't wait for Satdee.

Some were saying that about Ben whitfield not so long ago.

10 hours ago, Yukon said:

For me;

Positives

Wozza & Brown- their usual high standards

Joyce and Conlon- fantastic, absolutely bossed the middle

Crookes, Legge & Smith- absolutely bossed their attackers. Crookes in particular never forced their winger down the touch line when he was trying to cut in.

Gibbons- tremendous cross for the first but more impressively, got caught in two minds and dropped a clanger but refused to let his head drop. An excellent performance from a very promising young player.

Amoo- a constant menace.

Bennett-  a real handful.

Negatives 

Passing- we give the ball away very cheaply, very often.

Finishing- we keep missing sitters with alarming regularity 

Other business

First off it wasn’t “brave” of Askey to drop Pope, it was sensible. It’s a long season and we have viable options; sticking with the same team every week is a Michael “the worst manager of all time” Brown move

i know everyone keeps banging on about a “new era”  (what can I say, marketing campaigns grate on me a bit after a while) but last night proved the shift. The crowd was roaring for the team and considering there was only two thirds as many in VP than there was vs Northampton, the atmosphere was still mega. I’m genuinely looking forward to next Saturday now, which isn’t a feeling I’ve had for a couple of years.

Of course it was brave. He dropped/rested a club legend and our sole provider of goals for the last 2 seasons. Imagine the anti Askey sentiment on here had we lost the game and Bennett had a stinker. 

Pope did absolutely nothing wrong at Salford and certainly isn't in need of a rest just yet. Four games in you pick your strongest side. Surprisingly Pope wasn't picked.

It was brave and now shows that at least we don't rely on one bloke to save us. I'll repeat what another poster said, to play like that without Oyeleke and Pope was unthinkable.

Askey has a nice headache now when it comes to team selection. Pope will react brilliantly as he did when scoring winners against Cobblers and Crewe from the bench last season thus getting his place back 

• Like 2

Montano looked to me to have bust his nose. I hope he is back for Saturday. Although he drifts in and out of games, I think he certainly helps Crookes out defensively (mostly through his pace rather than being a great defender) and they looked to be striking up a decent understanding over the past couple of games. 

Very enjoyable last night. It feels like we've had more chances in the last 2 matches than we had in the entire first half of the season last year. All credit to Askey and the coaching staff for getting a tune out of broadly the same group of players that we had last season. 

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The decision to block that fool was the best I have ever made! Just do it... it’s liberating! 

I'm told by some friends that he still replies to my posts which is hilarious!

Now all we need is the ability not to see his vendetta driven bile even when people quote him!

If the red nose fits wear it.

Just because you,be blocked me doesn’t mean I can’t respond to your silly comments.

5 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Second half FGR were committing more men forward which left holes at the back; had Amoo and (I think) Monty been more clinical we could have had a hatful.

Concerned about Monty's injury though and added to that of Manny it potentially leaves us short for Saturday. Hope either or both are fit as we don't have much in reserve.

Actually may do us a favour because Askey may be forced to play Bennett and Pope up front.

9 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Actually may do us a favour because Askey may be forced to play Bennett and Pope up front.

Don't change a winning team keep Lloyd on if Monty cant make it.

Great win and first ever over forest Green in the league. 1st half we played some superb football but the best thing is we can still improve as a team. Bennett amoo Worrall monty were great upfront plus gibbo his only bad touch of the night it could have shot off in any direction but landed straight at their players feet but gibbo had a great game his cross for Bennetts goals was class and should have had a goal himself. The whole team performance was great. Just hope we don't keep picking up injuries

Fantastic to beat Forest Green and the manner of it by the highlights very satisfying.

Joyce looked like he had another very good game i thought in the one game I’ve been how good he played v Northampton so well done Luke .

Crookes was involved in a lot of good play I noticed also so well done And keep up the good work .

Amoo is scoring and looks a threat at all times and lovely hear that Popey is not been flogged to death playing every game .

Bennett well 2 in 2 fab that and so unselfish in the chance he laid on for Amoos gilt edged chance .

Seems like we creating more and that’s down to teamspiritandwhat Kev and Carol are creating within the club at a guess .

So fair play to Askey and the coaching staff 

UTV 

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

If the red nose fits wear it.

Just because you,be blocked me doesn’t mean I can’t respond to your silly comments.

I should have blocked you but I,m not so childish.

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Why would you say that Monty getting injured would do us a favour ??  Still not happy are you . Truly unbelievable.

Edited by aspin for england
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

I should have blocked you but I,m not so childish.

Who else isn’t surprised that Ernie doesn’t understand what “blocked” means and is still trying to have an argument 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Excellent idea.  Replace the pacy / tricky Monty with the totally immobile Popey.  Who needs a vibrant energetic front 3? 

Everyone knows we will get nowhere with this 4-3-3 crap and that Arthur’s signings will never score.   We all know that 4-4-2 is the only way to play, that’s why all the big clubs do it.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom Ernie, highlighting exactly how much you know about the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can't see it as he appears to be put for a bit, but I'm really hoping to see Browne in the team if monty is out for a while. Looked a livewire in pre season.

If it is only a broken nose I wouldn't be surprised if Monty plays.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

That’s why he only got A 5 when all the other players got 7 or 8 or 9.

Good idea if you want to weaken the team.

13 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

That’s why he only got A 5 when all the other players got 7 or 8 or 9.

Good idea if you want to weaken the team.

Good going 5 in 17 mins, some of the others played for 97 mins to get their marks.