Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fully deserved! We missed a couple of sitters and FGR are clearly a decent enough side, but 2-1 doesn't flatter us at all. I think we would have all taken two home wins and two away losses from the first 4 difficult fixtures, so to get six points and actually still be unbeaten in the league is a more than decent start and there's a lot to be encouraged about. Bennett is more mobile than Pope and suits the way that Askey wants us to play more. That's not to say Pope won't score more goals for us so isn't a slight on him at all. Amoo will go on to be our player of the season I believe, as long as he stays clear of injury. Brilliant signing.

Under Aspin we'd have not won this game without Oyeleke and Pope in the starting 11 in a million years. Great stuff!

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Not just a great result, but a slap in the face for those who say only 1 new signing good enough to get a place in the first team! Both goals scored by new boys??? Indeed!

Wow 2 then.... 

Anway nothing to do with the game so....

great performance and just what we needed makes it a very good start. Everyone was solid tonight monty worries me at times and thought he could’ve come off earlier. Excellent 3 points against the strongest side we’ve played yet. 

Edit. Special mention for Bennett from me. Wasn’t impressed at all when I’ve seen him previously however looked a very decent league 2 forward tonight just what you want in a forward and looks to have moved ahead of Cullen (who I thought would be one of our key players). Hopefully keeps it up. 

Edited by valiant_593

Watched on me phone in a hotel room in Toulouse...I'm coming back here cos that is the best I've seen us play for a while! Workrate and desire fantastic and could really have been 4 or 5 tbh! Bon soir from a Happy Clapper.

Edited by ClntonBoulton

Great performance Vale! Cracking win against another team we have struggled against in the past!

But it’s been coming ... our performances this season have shown the steady improvement Askey is initiating.

6 points from 4, unbeaten, yet to be behind in 360 mins of football, one terrible terrible ref decision from being one point off top of the league.

Should keep a few on here quiet.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

Anyone who comes on here and still can't see that we are tons better than last season wants committing to an asylum.  Just my opinion!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Anyone who comes on here and still can't see that we are tons better than last season wants committing to an asylum.  Just my opinion!!

It’s my opinion that some deserve to be in an asylum based on their option on previous performances never mind tonight!

What a performance by Vale from the first half, Bennett and Amoo were amazing and great business we’ve done to get them in, really hopeful for this season and the first time we’ve beat Forest Green very happy fan tonight UTV😃

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great performance Vale! Cracking win against another team we have struggled against in the past!

But it’s been coming ... our performances this season have shown the steady improvement Askey is initiating.

6 points from 4, unbeaten, yet to be behind in 360 mins of football, one terrible terrible ref decision from being one point off top of the league.

Should keep a few on here quiet.

Only Crewe have won 3 games, no team we have played lost tonight, time for a smile at last.

Best performance of the season so far, should have scored lots more.

Bennett could have had a hat trick, Amoo should have had at least 2, Monty should have scored, also Worrall and Gibbo.

the only bad thing about the game was Gibbos blunder for their goal, but he’s still relatively inexperienced, Hope he learns from it.

Edited by Conrad

22 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

It’s my opinion that some deserve to be in an asylum based on their option on previous performances never mind tonight!

Forgot you can’t have an opinion on here unless it’s identical to yours.... people who have disagreed with you have given valid reasons just as you have and others who have agreed with you. 

• Like 1

Best footballing performance I’ve seen for a long time! Deserved win. Pope is going to have to put in some performance to shift Bennett from playing up top, excellent display. Worrall - what a performance never stopped running, if we had another 3 of him in the midfield!!!!

• Like 4

Very good performance. Defended well. Attacked well. High level of fitness. Coped well with adverse decisions and play acting opponents. Could have won by more. Brave decision to give Bennett the nod and he played well.

Great performance first half, easily the best we’ve played for quite some time. Sat back a bit too much second half for my liking, inviting unnecessary pressure.

Special mention must go to Brownie for two great saves, one in each half.

• Like 1

I think Popes hold up play and ability to bring others in to the game is really underrated. Bennett is nowhere near the level of Pope in that regard IMO. 

You’ll be eating those words after tonight’s showing 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Forgot you can’t have an opinion on here unless it’s identical to yours.... people who have disagreed with you have given valid reasons just as you have and others who have agreed with you. 

Lighten up kid... Despite all the things that the vale have done wrong according to you, the Vale have won, are unbeaten in 4 and are yet to go behind in 360 mins of football!

To me, it’s demonstrating the improvement Askey is building into our game, the improved culture in the squad and testament to his recruitment of players he trust to implement his game plan.

To you... it must be a miracle given how badly things are being managed!

Just enjoy it!

UTV