onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

As good a first half as I have seen for many a game. Even better was that the whole team performed well and we picked up a deserved 3 points. As previously said FGR are a decent side in this division so a good Benchmark. On the way to the match Phil Sproson commented that they had lost 2 key forwards from last season and it showed. Tidy passing game but little threat upfront, credit to our team for minimising any threat there was. My worry coming into this season was would we have a striker to come off the bench and pose a threat. More than happy if it turns out that player is Tom Pope.

Advert

What was that goalkeeper doing? He's asking for someone to ping one over his head from the half-way line. I'm absolutely delighted we have "old school" and reliable Scott Brown as that FGR guy would drive me crazy every week. He's a goalie not a ball-playing centre-half!

24 minutes ago, blackdog said:

FGR's style of play played into our hands and how we made them pay in the first half.

2nd half they obviously had to change their tactics,at one point they had a forward line of two wide men and and two strikers and I thought we managed the game very well,in fact it was the Vale who had the better chances,all their needless passing and over complicating the game got them no where.

We created more chances last night than in 10 home games last season, so the signs are there that Askey is getting a tune out of the squad.

Second half FGR were committing more men forward which left holes at the back; had Amoo and (I think) Monty been more clinical we could have had a hatful.

Concerned about Monty's injury though and added to that of Manny it potentially leaves us short for Saturday. Hope either or both are fit as we don't have much in reserve.

Askey has clearly got the players fitter and more organised. I also think the new owners have obviously lifted the place and it now seems a place where players want to actually be instead of just turning in to pick up their wage. We're a big club for League Two with one of the better stadiums in the league so there's no reason at all we shouldn't be a club that's on the up and finally got out of this God forsaken league within the next couple of years.

Another big thing for me is that  can actually listen to John talk after games, win, lose or draw, without cringing. Neil Aspin was so depressing as a bloke and I can't imagine the players were at all motivated to play for him no matter how good he was as a player for the club in his day. Don't get me wrong, Askey is no Klopp, but he talks sense, doesn't come up with the same two or three sentences every week and rambling on about just giving your best effort, and overall just gives off a much better vibe.

8 hours ago, robf said:

Monty looked concussed to me. Does football have the same rules as cricket. Either way, if he is concussed I would rather Vale took no chances and didn't risk his health by playing him.

For one reason or another he never seems to be able to put a run of games together. I think he has the potential to be one of the better wide players in League Two, but whether he finally starts fulfillng all or at least most of that potential remains to be seen...

Isn't Browne back soon? If nothing else he's quick from what bit I've seen of him and I think it will be a good and healthy battle between him and Monty for a place on the wing.

2 minutes ago, robf said:

Monty looked concussed to me. Does football have the same rules as cricket. Either way, if he is concussed I would rather Vale took no chances and didn't risk his health by playing him.

Yep, the challenge that forced him to go off was a proper clattering. Bit of a melee but I think I saw it involve two defenders desperately going in on him to block the shot. Down for an awfully long time. 

Got to give credit to John Askey and his coaching staff (and the players) but with just the addition of a couple of players the team is unrecognizable from the past three seasons.

When was the last time Vale had a player like Amoo who gets you out of your seat when he's starts to run at players. Can't wait for Satdee.

Great result for and performance by Vale.

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

When was the last time Vale had a player like Amoo who gets you out of your seat when he's starts to run at players. Can't wait for Satdee.

Some were saying that about Ben whitfield not so long ago.

10 hours ago, Yukon said:

For me;

Positives

Wozza & Brown- their usual high standards

Joyce and Conlon- fantastic, absolutely bossed the middle

Crookes, Legge & Smith- absolutely bossed their attackers. Crookes in particular never forced their winger down the touch line when he was trying to cut in.

Gibbons- tremendous cross for the first but more impressively, got caught in two minds and dropped a clanger but refused to let his head drop. An excellent performance from a very promising young player.

Amoo- a constant menace.

Bennett-  a real handful.

Negatives 

Passing- we give the ball away very cheaply, very often.

Finishing- we keep missing sitters with alarming regularity 

Other business

First off it wasn’t “brave” of Askey to drop Pope, it was sensible. It’s a long season and we have viable options; sticking with the same team every week is a Michael “the worst manager of all time” Brown move

i know everyone keeps banging on about a “new era”  (what can I say, marketing campaigns grate on me a bit after a while) but last night proved the shift. The crowd was roaring for the team and considering there was only two thirds as many in VP than there was vs Northampton, the atmosphere was still mega. I’m genuinely looking forward to next Saturday now, which isn’t a feeling I’ve had for a couple of years.

Of course it was brave. He dropped/rested a club legend and our sole provider of goals for the last 2 seasons. Imagine the anti Askey sentiment on here had we lost the game and Bennett had a stinker. 

Pope did absolutely nothing wrong at Salford and certainly isn't in need of a rest just yet. Four games in you pick your strongest side. Surprisingly Pope wasn't picked.

It was brave and now shows that at least we don't rely on one bloke to save us. I'll repeat what another poster said, to play like that without Oyeleke and Pope was unthinkable.

Askey has a nice headache now when it comes to team selection. Pope will react brilliantly as he did when scoring winners against Cobblers and Crewe from the bench last season thus getting his place back 

Montano looked to me to have bust his nose. I hope he is back for Saturday. Although he drifts in and out of games, I think he certainly helps Crookes out defensively (mostly through his pace rather than being a great defender) and they looked to be striking up a decent understanding over the past couple of games. 

Very enjoyable last night. It feels like we've had more chances in the last 2 matches than we had in the entire first half of the season last year. All credit to Askey and the coaching staff for getting a tune out of broadly the same group of players that we had last season. 

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The decision to block that fool was the best I have ever made! Just do it... it’s liberating! 

I'm told by some friends that he still replies to my posts which is hilarious!

Now all we need is the ability not to see his vendetta driven bile even when people quote him!

If the red nose fits wear it.

Just because you,be blocked me doesn’t mean I can’t respond to your silly comments.

5 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Second half FGR were committing more men forward which left holes at the back; had Amoo and (I think) Monty been more clinical we could have had a hatful.

Concerned about Monty's injury though and added to that of Manny it potentially leaves us short for Saturday. Hope either or both are fit as we don't have much in reserve.

Actually may do us a favour because Askey may be forced to play Bennett and Pope up front.

Archived