onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Advert

First half last night was as good a performance in terms of going for the throat that I've seen since Adam's was in charge.

If Vale went into the break 5-1 up I don't think FGR could have had too many complaints, the Vale dominated, especially in that opening 40 minutes.  Lots of criticism of FGR's equaliser and rightlfully so, however massive credit to James Gibbons, he grew his way back into the game. Superb performance from the young man, could have wilted after the mistake but didn't.

Adam Crookes was equally as good down the left, great night for both of our full backs, in a great team performance.

FGR changed to match us second half, a massive compliment to how we were playing, and credit to them, they were much better second half.

I came away from the game feeling great, really really positive stuff!

13 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Excellent first half and finish to the second half.We played some really good stuff on the deck.De Bruyne would have been happy with the cross for Arnold’s goal.Looked more than 4000 there.UTV.

Yes we were all saying the same. Just like the Northampton game there appeared to be many more fans there than stated.

Are Vale counting everyone in the attendance?  Do under 12's get counted as they are "freebies"?  Is Billy Bell's arithmetic being used? lol.

8 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Should have bought Cullen to really pressurize them.

Is that all you have to say about that Vale performance, amazing. Seems you struggle to give praise when thoroughly deserved. Had we not got this win your fingers would have been itching to get on your keyboard. Some Vale fan. 

Play like that every game we maybe need to review our ambitions for the season, and we've shown glimpses of it in previous games in the first half at Colchester and certainly later on Saturday...

We are creating 5 or 6 really good chances a game, the key now is to go from taking 1 or 2 of them to converting 2-3 a game... do that and we can be excited.

Need a couple more bodies for depth, maybe some loans but plenty of positives and look miles from anything last season.

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

The seeds of Askey's reign have been sown and I, alongside many others failed to see initially what he was trying to do. The squad appear to have signed in to his way of thinking and are now slowly galvanising into a unit that must be feared in this Division

This is great to hear, it’s a steady improvement process that’s required and whilst not fashionable and as exciting as many people wanted, Askeys strategy seems to be delivering that improvement needed. 

There will be ups and downs, but as long as we are on an upward trajectory that’s what matters!

1 hour ago, aspin for england said:

Is that all you have to say about that Vale performance, amazing. Seems you struggle to give praise when thoroughly deserved. Had we not got this win your fingers would have been itching to get on your keyboard. Some Vale fan. 

Yes thought we played well and born again Worrall has solved our midfield problem when Manny is not playing.

Just not getting carried away as we could soon be back to where we started.

Keep the players fit as the squad is not deep.

I said Bennett deserved to keep his place and he did well.

Bennett and Cullen are the two players who can increase our goals tally.

1 hour ago, aspin for england said:

The decision to block that fool was the best I have ever made! Just do it... it’s liberating! 

I'm told by some friends that he still replies to my posts which is hilarious!

Now all we need is the ability not to see his vendetta driven bile even when people quote him!

2 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

I saw Legge put his arm around Gibbo after that howler and he gave him a very encouraging pep talk which clearly did the trick of lifting Gibbo from a depressing moment. Some young players would have crumbled after the goal and shrunk into a shell but Legge helped Gibbo to overcome one lapse of concentration and I thought then that some other players may have castigated Gibbo causing him to have a bad game thereafter. Not Legge. He became the father figure and good on him!

That’s a great point. That put me in mind of last season when Clark dropped a couple of <ovf censored> for goals, I think Northampton at home and Cambridge away and he was given pelters by players on the pitch, Browny and Pope to name 2. Last night Gibbons got none of that. A sign of his standing amongst the players maybe. 

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

That’s a great point. That put me in mind of last season when Clark dropped a couple of <ovf censored> for goals, I think Northampton at home and Cambridge away and he was given pelters by players on the pitch, Browny and Pope to name 2. Last night Gibbons got none of that. A sign of his standing amongst the players maybe. 

Part of the team mentality being built by Askey? But also needs someone to put it into practise on the pitch in the heat of the game.

Great result fantastic performance all the players on the pitch last night gave there all for the shirt. At the final whistle a few crawled off the pitch you could not have asked for more comitment ! So good to see after a number of years watching some half hearted efforts. Well done lads keep this up and we may have something to shout about.

53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Brown gave him a right rocket.

FGR's style of play played into our hands and how we made them pay in the first half.

2nd half they obviously had to change their tactics,at one point they had a forward line of two wide men and and two strikers and I thought we managed the game very well,in fact it was the Vale who had the better chances,all their needless passing and over complicating the game got them no where.

We created more chances last night than in 10 home games last season, so the signs are there that Askey is getting a tune out of the squad.

Archived