onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

1 minute ago, bycars rob said:

Joyce was immense tonight, misplaced one ball all night. Great win should have been more and overcome a cheating bunch of gits, especially that youth who you could here scream from 80 yards away  

I think Joyce is one of those players who needs good players around him... he keeps it simple and keeps things ticking. 

He isn’t going to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and change the course of the match... but if things start to click his work becomes very important and he will keep things flowing.

Advert

57 minutes ago, vale on toower said:

Should be renamed forest Green Conmen.

They're a capable team but from management to players just continuous childish nonsense   

I think there is a fault line running across England. It encompasses Crawley, Stevenage, Swindon and Forest Green. The water bottle kings and all trained to fake injury. 

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

You’ll be eating those words after tonight’s showing 🤣🤣

Bennet played really well tonight. Although I still don’t think his hold up play is as good as Popes. But what Bennet gives us is a bit more mobility up there, I expect him to keep his place on that showing, he deserves it.

That first half was fantastic, we played some good stuff, created some really good chances and scored 2 excellent goals. They just couldn’t deal with our wing play, we ran them ragged with Amoo, Gibbons, Crookes and Monty. Joyce was excellent tonight as well, a lot of the good stuff we created started with him linking up play and keeping it simple.

They played so much pointless and ineffective football that it was unbelievable. However, credit to them second half because they realised where our threat was and had a man screening Joyce and made sure their wingers stayed tighter to Gibbons and Crookes. So it was disappointing we didn’t have another plan when that wasn’t working as well as the first half and we were penned in. But having said that we still created the better chances than them in that second half, both Worrall and Amoo should have done better with theirs. 

Credit to Gibbons too, we’ve seen players crack after a bad mistake and he carried on like nothing had happened. That showed some real character and he was unlucky not to score himself. It might sound odd to say after that howler but I think he was a contender for man of the match alongside many others like Crookes, Joyce, Worrall or Amoo for example. 

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think Joyce is one of those players who needs good players around him... he keeps it simple and keeps things ticking. 

He isn’t going to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and change the course of the match... but if things start to click his work becomes very important and he will keep things flowing.

At this level he is a good holding midfield player. At a higher level he would quickly disintegrate because he can't play at a quicker pace. At Premier League level these players will use two touches control pass. 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer but suddenly Cullen is looking like striker number 3 . A long and hard season when form will dip and he will get his chance as will Pope.

What a refreshing option instead of Turner or Elliott etc etc 

Should have bought Cullen to really pressurize them.

11 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

However, credit to them second half because they realised where our threat was and had a man screening Joyce and made sure their wingers stayed tighter to Gibbons and Crookes. 

I think we also got a bit nervous second half. Understandably. Agree with what you say about Gibbo, picking himself up. Another good performance from him, seems to be maturing. A shout out though for two unsung heroes.  Legge and Smith. They go about their business and you don't notice them much. Just what you want from your CB's. 

Great overall performance.

If there's one negative from tonight, apart from the suicidal backpass from Gibbo it was that for a big lad Bennett didn't seem to win much in the air. He can head the ball when unchallenged, as his goal proved, but otherwise I can't remember a single time he wasn't beaten to the ball in the air. Maybe a part of his game he needs to work on.

Against the better sides in the league you're not going to dominate the game for 90 minutes. Forest Green were always going to be good enough to come back into the game, and it was much more of an even contest in the second half. That should expected. But we soaked up what pressure they had well and really should have added to our lead on a couple of occasions. It was largely a faultless performance in the main, and had we won 4-1 I don't think FGR could have too any complaints.

17 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I think we also got a bit nervous second half. Understandably. Agree with what you say about Gibbo, picking himself up. Another good performance from him, seems to be maturing. A shout out though for two unsung heroes.  Legge and Smith. They go about their business and you don't notice them much. Just what you want from your CB's. 

I don't think they were nervous at all, FGR pushed more men forward and we dealt with it, how many shots did they have in the second half 

Very fortunate to be within touching distance in this one.

Lucky to just be 1 behind. Vale passing well and incisive

Being a bit battered here .....could still steal a point.

Second best today, though second half better

Fortune to lose by 1 goal though we did bring some decent saves.

However Vale were giving us a lesson on how to pass it and get into the box, so it was no surprise we went behind again. Not sure how we were lined up but Vale, playing 4-3-3 with width, found it relatively easy to get through our lines.

not there-and credit to those who were, but in simple terms-it seems that the better team-collectively and individually won .

no-one has really been tipping Port vale to do great-maybe mid table.
If thats the case-where does it put FGR ?

To be fair PV were a much better team than last season and had a system which they stuck too and could have been out of sight after 35 mins.

For me;

Positives

Wozza & Brown- their usual high standards

Joyce and Conlon- fantastic, absolutely bossed the middle

Crookes, Legge & Smith- absolutely bossed their attackers. Crookes in particular never forced their winger down the touch line when he was trying to cut in.

Gibbons- tremendous cross for the first but more impressively, got caught in two minds and dropped a clanger but refused to let his head drop. An excellent performance from a very promising young player.

Amoo- a constant menace.

Bennett-  a real handful.

Negatives 

Passing- we give the ball away very cheaply, very often.

Finishing- we keep missing sitters with alarming regularity 

Other business

First off it wasn’t “brave” of Askey to drop Pope, it was sensible. It’s a long season and we have viable options; sticking with the same team every week is a Michael “the worst manager of all time” Brown move

i know everyone keeps banging on about a “new era”  (what can I say, marketing campaigns grate on me a bit after a while) but last night proved the shift. The crowd was roaring for the team and considering there was only two thirds as many in VP than there was vs Northampton, the atmosphere was still mega. I’m genuinely looking forward to next Saturday now, which isn’t a feeling I’ve had for a couple of years.

Some decisions to make for Saturday.  Is Browne fit? Does Worrall go wide and Cullen in the advanced midfield role? Does Lloyd come in? Does Bennett play wide left and Pope or Cullen in the centre?

They were a good side, if Arsenalesque in there ability to keep the ball without creating many chances. Would be surprised if they don't make the top 7.

Big winners:

Bennett - looked like a handful

Montano and Amoo - kept their defence stretched

Worrall - ideally want one of him on the wing and one in midfield

Crookes - despite constant criticism on here looked good defensively and going forward.

Great to get our first win of the season and thoroughly deserved.
First half was a really enjoyable game of football to watch. They were composed and comfortable on the ball but offered little threat and we attacked with pace and width and could have been out of sight by half-time had we taken our chances.
Second half we sat deeper and looked to hit them on the counter and did so to good effect with Worrall and Amoo having great chances to ease the nerves.
I thought Bennett had a great first start - always looked a threat and isn't afraid to have a pop from outside the area.
Worralls energy is unbelievable and was still zipping around in injury time as much as he was in the first half - fantastic. If only he could add goals to his game we would have a great player on our hands.
Special mention for Gibbons - great cross for first goal and did not let his error effect him. Always looks to overlap or back up the winger in front of him and plays on the front foot.
What was most pleasing for me was the overall team performance. I would say that every single player was at least a 7 out of 10 with a number of players even higher. That team consistency will be key to us remaining difficult to beat and turning draws into wins.
Grimsby (away) followed by Cambrige (home) so let's hope for at least 4 points from those 2 games to keep this unbeaten start to the season going.
Well done Vale.

Sublime football in the first half. Controlled defending hitting them on the break in the second. FGR came to play football which helped make this game a fascinating spectacle. Worrall is just a Duracell bunny with skill as well. That little flick by him in the second half to set the winger on his way worth the entry fee alone. Great performance. 

Fantastic first half footballing display. Entertainment being reinstalled at Vale Park.

Just a shout out to Leon Legge. He was immense, again alongside Smith they are forming a formidable partnership, allowing the midfield to get on with their jobs and assisting the forwards rather than camping in a back line with a massive gap in the centre of the field.

I saw Legge put his arm around Gibbo after that howler and he gave him a very encouraging pep talk which clearly did the trick of lifting Gibbo from a depressing moment. Some young players would have crumbled after the goal and shrunk into a shell but Legge helped Gibbo to overcome one lapse of concentration and I thought then that some other players may have castigated Gibbo causing him to have a bad game thereafter. Not Legge. He became the father figure and good on him!

The seeds of Askey's reign have been sown and I, alongside many others failed to see initially what he was trying to do. The squad appear to have signed in to his way of thinking and are now slowly galvanising into a unit that must be feared in this Division.

Offensively we are a big threat from all across the front line. The midfield is gelling and the back four and Brown are proving to be solid and dependable. 

Happy days again. Hope Carol and Kevin are now relaxing a little and taking a massive pride in what they want Vale to be.

Archived