onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

12 hours ago, bycarspete said:

The problem is Bennett does not work as hard of the ball as Pope, I like Bennett he as all the attributes of a c/f, just feel he needs to work harder off the ball, 

I’m a bit surprised by this comment. Did you go to any of the friendlies? In all the games I’ve seen Bennett play he’s done far more running than Pope.  Your comparison is flawed as in most of his appearances he’s played wide left and has had to do a lot of tracking back, something which wouldn’t be expected of a target man.

Anyhow, Bennett and Pope are different types of players.  Bennett isn’t a direct replacement for Tom.  From what I’ve seen Tom, as we’d expect, is better in the air, Bennett is quicker and more mobile.

I guess it’ll depend on how Askey views the opposition as to which of the strikers he plays against FGR.

The main problem in dropping Tom, apart from his goal threat, is that he gives us that added aeriall power when defending set pieces.  We’re a small team and I don’t see Bennett, although tall, being particularly strong in the air.

Advert

For me Tom Pope is not only a goal threat and good in the air but his ability to lead the line, link up play, ability to hold the ball and lay it off are second to none in this league, not to mention his defensive work at set pieces. He also provides a combative, physical presence which contributes to Vale being able to compete physically in this league.

In a way I think Askey has quite a nice headache up front.  Does he play the talismanic Pope, who's ability in the air is probably second to none in this division, or go with Bennett, fresh from his goal on Saturday, and could and should have scored again in the latter stages of the contest. Does he play them both as a pair, or bring in the smaller more mobile Cullen, who in fairness, didn't get much change out of Burton.  Nothing wrong with the back 4, who are playing well at the moment, however Crookes is still a slight concern at left back.  He is capable and dependable, but I have a fear that a wide player with a bit of guile and pace would rinse him.  He's young and still learning so for now should continue in the team.  Still think we look a little lightweight in midfield, however, we are digging in and not getting beaten, so its a platform to build on. FGR will be the toughest test we've had so far though in my opinion.  Team I'd go with is....

Brown

Gibbons / Legge / Smith / Crookes

Joyce / Conlon

Amoo / Worrall / Montano

Bennett

I think Popes hold up play and ability to bring others in to the game is really underrated. Bennett is nowhere near the level of Pope in that regard IMO. However you’d imagine both him and Pope up front in the later stages would cause some problems for teams. Personally I think we’ll go with the same starting 11 as Saturday because I don’t think we did that badly at all. 

Think this will be a tougher game than Northampton and Salford. Point would be good but 4 from 4 dosent look great. 

I’m surprised to see so many wanting to leave pope out. Bennett looked ok for what 10 minutes? But did miss a sitter. Cullen again has looked ok in parts but neither enough to start over pope. Personally think pope has had a good start and looks as fit as he has done, I’d like us to play with pope and either Bennett or Cullen tomorrow. 

For me, we seem to have the same problem as we've had for a while now - and that is a midfield (particularly without Oyeleke) that is not powerful enough to allow us to play with 2 strikers.

You'll get more out of Pope if he isn't isolated and has someone alongside but that necessarily weakens midfield. I'm sorry but I really can't see Conlon and Joyce patrolling central midfield and winning lots of headers, tackles and 50:50s. 

That was the conundrum Aspin had last year. And why he often used Kay. And why the gap between Pope and the rest is so wide.

I don't know what the solution is with our current squad of players. But it's certainly helpful to have the likes of Cullen, Bennett and Browne (soon) on the bench once the game opens up and players tire after 70 minutes. It's better than we had last year.

Somethings got to give with this 15 chances 1 goal a game malarkey. Hopefully we give FGR a hiding to kick start us. They've had a very good start, a draw would be a good result

Askey needs to be drilling them today to concentrate when we go a goal up.

Archived