onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

2 unbeaten teams, 1 with 7 points, 1 with 3, thus a need to make more of our chances. Confidence is the key to scoring, we will need at least 2 or 3 goals as we know what to expect from FGR. So I would keep our recent scorer Bennett in the starting line-up, and hopefully grab the 3 points.

Advert

Similar to us they've only scored 1 goal in each league game but kept 2 clean sheets. Very fine margins. They've beaten Oldham and Grimsby, and drew with Walsall. Last season they liked to play out from the back, and had a it of a keeper sweeper thing going on. Be interesting to see if our high press can take advantage of this. Another close game, 1-1 draw maybe?

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

2 unbeaten teams, 1 with 7 points, 1 with 3, thus a need to make more of our chances. Confidence is the key to scoring, we will need at least 2 or 3 goals as we know what to expect from FGR. So I would keep our recent scorer Bennett in the starting line-up, and hopefully grab the 3 points.

The problem is Bennett does not work as hard of the ball as Pope, I like Bennett he as all the attributes of a c/f, just feel he needs to work harder off the ball, 

30 minutes ago, bycarspete said:

The problem is Bennett does not work as hard of the ball as Pope, I like Bennett he as all the attributes of a c/f, just feel he needs to work harder off the ball, 

Pope does work the defenders hard. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start the same team. Outside chance he might play Cullen behind Pope and Worrall on the right, as that looked interesting against Nothampton for a period. However Amoo and Montano left and right gives a defence a lot of pace to worry about, particularly on a pitch as big as Vale Park.

No need to discuss the line up really, as it will 99,9% be the same as Saturday.

Only new worry is, if Worrall has a broken nose, will he be able to play with that? I know he played on yesterday, but now I assume it has been put back in place and needs healing.

Either a facemask or sidelined I presume...

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

You know what Fosse? I yearn for the days we gave out 3 goal spankings. Maybe this weekend eh! 🙂

8 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Yes drop Monty and play Bennett on the left.

He deserves to keep his place after Saturday.

2 hours ago, windsorvale4ever said:

different game to Salford as forest green like to pass it more so it might suit us better hopefully giving amoo and Worrall more space, we really need a win even though we aren't losing a wins will make a big difference to the confidence in the team

Agree, while we aren’t losing, 1 point per game = 46 points, relegation form.we need some wins because without doubt we’ll lose some.

6 hours ago, JRC said:

Pope does work the defenders hard. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start the same team. Outside chance he might play Cullen behind Pope and Worrall on the right, as that looked interesting against Nothampton for a period. However Amoo and Montano left and right gives a defence a lot of pace to worry about, particularly on a pitch as big as Vale Park.

I also like that Amoo and Monty give us genuine pace down both flanks. It would also be a good option if we had genuine pace down the middle as well. I think Askey has acknowledged this, and I fully expect to see a pacy forward to come in before the window shuts. I just hope we can find a gem, someone who is prepared to drop down a league or two for some game time.

in regards to Tuesday,  I would be tempted to give Bennett a go and keep Pope fresh. Gives us a chance to see if he can be a threat in that focal point role. 

It will be a tough test against FGR, but a win would make us all feel a bit better. 

50 minutes ago, rsb said:

Conceding late goals first half, last minute second half could this be, because we over load the box by pulling everybody back to try and keep it out that the defenders don't know which player to pick up may be try less players in the box and stop giving silly free kicks away.

As we man mark it would be shocking if every player didn't know who they were marking before the game starts. Whatever you think about the system it isn't a case of the players wandering around trying to decide who they are going to pick up as and when a corner or free-kick is awarded.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

As we man mark it would be shocking if every player didn't know who they were marking before the game starts. Whatever you think about the system it isn't a case of the players wandering around trying to decide who they are going to pick up as and when a corner or free-kick is awarded.

Very true, they go through it in their prep for the game. Problem is you can’t legislate for Brown having a rush of blood like yesterday or Amoo switching off and losing his man like last week. 

Expecting a tough game. Forest Green are like Colchester but with better finishing.

We did well to give them a good game for 50 odd minutes the last time we played them but they had the luxury of a strong bench and their subs turned it in their favour.

Archived