onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

9 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Stupidest post of the day award goes to the bloke that can’t see the difference between these performances and those of last season.

Stupidest post of the day would probably and should probably go to you. For shouting someone down for daring having a different opinion. 

Im comfortable enough to stand my ground and say I pay my money the same as anyone else. So IN MY OPINION I need to see more before I am convinced that we have improved. 

I find us really boring to watch. If I’m honest it’s hard work. And I’m not alone in saying that. We can’t take a throw in for god sake. That’s where my concern comes from. Simple parts of the game and we make them look difficult. 

Just to note Askey promised us high press, high tempo, attacking football and wanted pace with the ball on the floor. I haven’t seen any evidence of any yet. Only one of Askeys signings makes the starting line up yet the stand out performers for me so far are legge, smith and gibbons. 

Try to have a good day though Iron Curtain, I know how frustrating it can be when people don’t conform to your rule Mein Fuhrer.

We are definitely a work in progress but with the same frailties. It reminded me of Grimsby away a couple of seasons ago. Superior performance in the 2nd half, missed chances to kill it and there was almost an inevitably wasn't there .

The Bennett miss was the moment to send us all into raptures. Possibly had too much time instead of just going on instinct. 

Wave after wave of attacks after the boring 1st half so I'm confused by some of the negativity. There is just something missing from our last third play but overall we are a lot better. 

Interesting though that these promotion contenders we have played Colchester and Northampton are both in dreadful form with one point each. Missed opportunities for us , we ought to be on 7 points but that's football. 

24 minutes ago, beasty77 said:

All these chances we're creating, yet no win in 9 for Vale now though.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=salford+vportvale&&view=detail&mid=F3A502A2BA7810794476F3A502A2BA7810794476&&FORM=VRDGAR

found these high lights,

game we should have won , getting there-  much better than previous years against a  money bags team throwing money at it where we are the complete opposite..Neal I would imagine has to be their best player , rooney got subbed we sussed out their play in triangles down the sides the ball through the gap between full back n ctr half or switching to the opposite side..crookes got done first half a few times but we reacted and sussed it out. 

defence excellent ( apart from last minute), midfield gave everything as did pope and the lads coming on..only negative was missed chances but nice to be creating and of course the late goal overall enjoyable performance

Blimey there is a lot of despondency here isn't there?
I am as disappointed as anyone, but more about the nature of letting two points slip away than the performance. If I was being critical and going back to Askeys arrival when as for 3, 4 games the lads pressed everywhere, and his subsequent claim we would continue to do so this season, well only seen two games and that hasn't happened in either. Similarly to last season, is it because with Pope in the team, and on the assumption pressing has to start from the front, we haven't quite got the ingredients to do so?
My other slight  concern is that our whole style of play does it again leave us a bit, in fact, almost reliant on the skipper for goals. I thought Cullen, style wise, was going to replace Miller, and be that annoying,pressing poacher that we so badly need to support Pope, but unless he's injured or perhaps not quite fit it looks like he's going to spend more time watching than playing.
Man of the match, jointly Gibbons and Legge 

Decent enough point away. We need to follow up with a solid home win now.

Positives:

Unbeaten after three games.

Playing more attractive football than last season.

Four different scorers already.

Wingers on the pitch putting in more crosses and creating more chances.

Good away form.

Negatives:

A point per game is bottom six form and a relegation fight. 

We hardly ever win games of football.

Poor home form.

Obviously it's still very early days in the new era and patience is needed BUT we are creating plenty of chances now so we need to be more clinical in and around the penalty area and get into the habit of winning.

We should have scored three goals each game which is enough to win most games and make any poor refereeing decisions insignificant. The reason that poor decisions always seem to cost us is because we hardly ever score more than one goal in a game. Cullen and Bennet won't score while they're sitting on the bench. 

Can't wait for the game on Tuesday. A win will make the start look decent. Many on here have spoken about the ten game barometer. I would be targeting 15 points by that stage. We have a settled side from last season with only one first choice change at the the moment (Amoo) so we should be looking to capitalise on teams like Northampton who've made lots of changes and are clearly not settled at the moment with their dodgy zonal marking. 

With players like Brown, Legge, Joyce and Pope as the spine of the team and the likes of Worrall, Montano, Cullen and Amoo in the team we should be in the top half of this league. I think tenth is a realistic expectation for this team this season. 

Disappointed that we cannot turn our chances into goals. We are certainly pressing more and look dangerous when attacking so I'm hopeful the tide will turn soon and we will give someone a real hiding.

Yesterday we had chances to gain the 3 points. I think many fans would have taken a point anyway.

What is most worrying for me is that we still carry too many players every match that offer next to nothing in quality or nous. We do not appear to be working well as a team, whereas Salford all looked up for it.

Our coaching in respect of throw ins is absolutely abysmal. We never gain any advantage from throw in and no one wants to create a space for the thrower to throw to. time after time we lose the ball and allow the opponents momentum.

IMO Leon Legge was immense yesterday. Smith was solid alongside him. Amoo started excellent but faded. Worrall ran his nuts off again but come on he ought to be wide, NOT in the middle of the midfield.

Chris Neal was superb for them and thwarted us several times.

Tremendous support from the travelling Valiants even though we were penned in, in an inadequate  stand with facilities that were totally shambolick.

On we go and we are unbeaten and looking far more resilient but having said that we still show signs of frailties that need addressing if we are to climb the league.

16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

To me it’s so frustrating. If we had actually signed another 2/3 first team players who would improve us we would be a very decent side. Not sure the sides like Northampton and Salford will be any where than the top. 

salford and Northampton spend on players would be far excess to ours and we have more than matched these teams but agree 2-3 more first teamers signed would certainly have us in the top half maybe pushing top 6, think we are light once we get past the first 13/14 players which when suspensions and injuries could take its toll on results.

1 minute ago, elav trop 1876 said:

salford and Northampton spend on players would be far excess to ours and we have more than matched these teams but agree 2-3 more first teamers signed would certainly have us in the top half maybe pushing top 6, think we are light once we get past the first 13/14 players which when suspensions and injuries could take its toll on results.

Oh yeah definitely on paper they should be top 2/3 but they both looked very average. I fancied us to win yesterday after Salford getting battered by Crawley and Then losing 3-0 at home to Leeds. I agree we are very light after the starting 11 + Cullen and Bennett. 

I didn’t think Salford were any great shakes and I don’t really think threatened us that much with good chances, yet their style of play / formation meant they got the ball back a bit too easily at times. They played with wing backs and their 3 centre halves seemed to get a lot of time on the ball to be throwing long diagonals at us and down our left they caused us problems in the first half. But i did think there were long spells in the match where we looked comfortable and we dealt with them well and second half I felt they were hardly a threat.

Because of their formation I think we needed to have an extra body up top just to stop them having so much of the ball. But having said that we were creating chances in the second half that should have won us the game. Bennet definitely should have scored 2 and I’d have put my house on Pope with the back post header as well. 

I have to say that their big forward was lucky to stay on the pitch, he threw 2 elbows in to Legges face in the second half that looked blatant and in front of the ref too.

Their goal is a poor one to concede. Monty played a big part in it, not just in conceding the free kick but he also decided to press their keeper when he had the ball in his hands, which is pointless at any time let alone the last couple of minutes. So he simply bowled the ball out to the full back that Monty should have been with, who then ran the length of the pitch to win the free kick when Monty had to chase him down. Brown has been immense for us, but that mistake to come out for the free kick was a rush of blood and a howler. But he’s been so good for us that he probably gets a pass for that mistake. I thought Legge, Smith, Gibbons and Worrall were excellent for us yet again. Joyce did well and covered a lot of ground in an overloaded midfield.  Bennetts cameo was good and should have been better with a second goal. Monty despite his part in the goal had a decent game I felt, maybe even more effective than Amoo at times, but I still feel that Worrall should be nailed on in that right wing spot once Manny is fit or we get in a replacement for him whilst injured. 

Off the pitch.... The facilities are inadequate for a large following. Not enough refreshment bars and toilets outside. One small block of toilets was open but not plumbed in yet apparently. Grim. People were being told no smoking outside and there was no designated smoking are, that was causing some aggro for the stewards. Only one entrance in and out of the end which was a choke point.  I’m not sure that stand held as many as the tickets they sold either, because once everyone who got there late couldn’t find a space they stood in the clearly marked area for no standing at the front on the barrier behind the goal, thus blocking the view of those people and families who had got there early with kids on the first barrier on the first terrace step. I saw quite a few heated arguments going on around me because of that, indeed the people doing the complaining were getting  abuse from the lads who had come late and had clearly had a few beers. Stewards weren’t interested either. Salford have come a long way quickly and aren’t ready off the pitch for that step up to this league yet. In fact the whole thing has a temporary feel about it. 

For those that didn’t go and listened on the radio, what was the feeling on the there in terms of the team performance and individuals, was it Sproson at the match?

15 hours ago, Emile said:

It'll come. Maybe not this season but it'll come. A more creative midfielder should be brought in as well as a left back. Squad is pretty balanced then 

The budget will get better with each season,we are improving,if it wasn't for a dodgy corner kick v Northampton and Browns mistake yesterday it COULD of been a fantastic start.We can allow Brown a mistake considering how many points he wins us.

We are starting to play how Askey wants to play and creating a lot of chances,putting them away is the problem,someone will get a good walloping soon imo,we have had a tough start and to remain unbeaten is at least something.

Archived