Fosse69

Match Thread: LC1 Port Vale v Burton Albion

I know in general 90% of crowds in this Cup are awful. But after the takeover and feel good factor we lost 3700 home fans in a few days, also strangely the crowd was lower than last year against Lincoln when the previous incumbent owned us.

Dreadful crowd last night and it was played out in a friendly type atmosphere. All in all those who stayed in for Emmerdale made the right call 

• Like 1

Just shows the fine margins of football emotions.

In a parallel universe we are one better defensive decision, and one better referee decision away from having a 100% league record and being out of the cup we never win in anyway.

We HAVE to stop having a short term view. The road to repair is going to be long and hard.

The performances against Colchester and Northampton showed improvements. Proven by the Colchester manager saying so (never mind the fact we didn’t get spanked) and the far improved xG vs Northampton.

Can we please reserve judgement until Christmas time... then we will have more data and more understanding of how the season looks like it will pan out.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

i agree what you are saying IC. But data or XG means diddly squat.

By all accounts Lard had 24 goal attempts last night and scored one. Data doesn't put the ball in the onion bag. I think Mid September we will have an idea. There is a lot of psychological stuff. Our start has been okay, that said we have 3 difficult games and could be staring at 5 without a win by the time we play Cambridge. Reversely get some points on the board things will be rosier. I don't think it is negativity but an accumulation of the dirge we have had. Ultimately we need a win on the board and soon.

• Like 2

The difference between us and a club who are a league above, who also bear in mind have been in and out of the championship in recent years, with some good players in their team was there for all to see at times last night. They kept the ball well and moved us around and got in between our midfield and back 4 a bit too often. Askey changed it a bit to stop that and we had some good spells of pressure, but unlike them we don’t have a team stuffed with players decent on the ball with good movement to maintain momentum. I think Amoo showed why he hasn’t played higher, totally clueless when he had to do the other side of the game and he left Gibbo exposed more than once. Monty was a bit better in that regard, but not much. I’m amazed we didn’t target their full backs and encourage  the 2 wingers to get at them more. Positives for me Brown as usual, Gibbons and Worrall. But I think Worrall is wasted playing deeper, and we lose that link up play with Gibbons. We definitely miss Manny. Overall we showed in spells we can get at teams and certain players shone like the 3 I mentioned above, but not necessarily as a unit, which Burton did. As someone mentioned earlier we are in a lower league reaping what we have sowed in terms of off the field problems and decline and constant change on the pitch. It’s no wonder they are ahead of us. 

Crookes needs to be careful IMO, the loan window isn’t far off closing and I wonder if we need to get a dedicated left back in if his performances continue. I don’t think he is doing enough and offering enough to the team. I think Amoo can do more than he’s showing as well. If Manny can’t stay fit (it looks that way) we need to address that with someone else, if there is someone out there that we can get.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

i agree what you are saying IC. But data or XG means diddly squat.

By all accounts Lard had 24 goal attempts last night and scored one. Data doesn't put the ball in the onion bag. I think Mid September we will have an idea. There is a lot of psychological stuff. Our start has been okay, that said we have 3 difficult games and could be staring at 5 without a win by the time we play Cambridge. Reversely get some points on the board things will be rosier. I don't think it is negativity but an accumulation of the dirge we have had. Ultimately we need a win on the board and soon.

I get your point on the old data vs reality argument... it’s a fascinating topic.

Im someone that believes that the data does make a difference... but over a long enough period.

People lose money in a growing stock market... their view is too short.

Over a game, an xG stat can easily not correlate with the goals scored. But over a season, a higher xG will lead to more goals and more points.

That said there are always freak results because we play on a pitch not a spreadsheet.

Last night underlined how desperate we are for a strong centre midfielder - without the often injured Manny we are dominated far too easily.  Joyce is anonymous when Manny doesn’t play, and Worrall achieves little in that role despite his work rate.

Positives Brown, Gibbo, Smith, thought Monty was decent, and Bennett made a difference when he came on.

Negatives - Crookes and midfield were poor, Cullen and Amoo struggled to get into the game.  Another game passes without a goal from open play, and this is a trend that may soon become worrying.

• Like 1

It’s a bit worrying when a defender has had more shots on goal than some of the attacking players in the side. 

Edited by PV1973

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I get your point on the old data vs reality argument... it’s a fascinating topic.

Im someone that believes that the data does make a difference... but over a long enough period.

People lose money in a growing stock market... their view is too short.

Over a game, an xG stat can easily not correlate with the goals scored. But over a season, a higher xG will lead to more goals and more points.

That said there are always freak results because we play on a pitch not a spreadsheet.

Long term results have to be the best option to take an overall view of the position,IC.We could have won our first 2 league games and be sitting top of the league then we would have the Going Up thread.Generally,football fans want things yesterday.I think we should have a look after 20 games.😉

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Thinking about it after posting, I've also just realised we haven't scored from open play yet, and that after a quick check, under Askey we've P19 W4, in other words 21%.

Lose >2 out of the next 5 and it's going to get very concerning.

Don’t worry he has got a 3 yr contract.

11 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

Great that we have our club back but I don't see anything different on the pitch from the last couple of seasons. Early days though....

Agree.

Bit concerned having made 11 signings that only Amoo (and Crookes) are in the starting 11?

We play patches of decent possession football, good on the eye football.

Sady there appears no end result, however, saying that we should have beaten Northampton.

I think Askey may be looking to introduce change and introducing new players gradually. Remember the first 4 games of his tenure - defeats, then suddenly away at Notts County there was a massive change in system and dynamics!

He surely has focussed on strikers and attack minded players, lets see.

On first impressions it looks difficult to create goal threat, Oyeleke seems to have fitness issues at league level for some reason?

Positive response required at Salford.

Club is in a much better place now the fat controller has gone, it may take some time to turn the club around after he and a string of catastrophic decisions on the field have reduced us to near extinction.

I trust the Shanahans and John Askey to take us on to much better things.

Keep the faith.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

They scored 9 minutes after our equaliser Doha , so not sure about your 15-20 minutes of well on top ? 

Fair enough, seemed a lot longer than that. 9 minutes of running the show before getting caught out defensively yet again. 

Not sure who’s man it was that ran in to put in the rebound but someone wasn’t doing their job there in following him in. I think it was a midfielder who let him run off them. 

20 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Not sure who’s man it was that ran in to put in the rebound but someone wasn’t doing their job there in following him in. I think it was a midfielder who let him run off them. 

i was unsure myself. One thing i do know is that Brown went barmy. 

10 hours ago, Doha said:

Why the frig were Stewards in the Paddock using hand held metal detectors and physically frisking people attending a nothing first round cup tie against tiny Burton? Are we entering Vale Park or secure airside at an Airport? They didn't do it to me as I stared the steward down as I approached but plenty of others were getting groped without being 1) informed before starting or 2) the steward seeking permission to physically frisk first.

I heard one of them saying the one using the metal detector was doing so "because he wants to play with his new toy". Is this some weirdo acting of his own volition or is this sanctioned by Phil Mayer? I'll be writing to Carol to ask. Football fans get shafted and deprived of liberties enough already without overzealous physical frisking by a sad act in a high vis vest just to enter the frigging ground for a nothing game.

I recognised a very surly looking female security guard from the Crewe game last season. After her conduct that day I got told she wouldn’t be working any more Vale games, but there she was last night. 

Thought it was an ok performance against a higher level team. General concern was lack of firepower. Cullen took his peno well but felt he offered little else, certainly not a player who will fight back for the ball like Popey. Cullen had a chance 4yds out seemed easier to head it but he struck the ball instead. Great clearance it would be a travesty to call it a shot on goal. So Mr Cullen the balls in your court  if you aren't going to be another in the long line of recent Vale strikers who dont strike.(Tom Pope excluded)

Cullen scored from a nice cross in the first half when he glanced a header over the keeper - disallowed because the liner reckoned the ball had gone out before it was crossed.  Anyone at that end of the Paddock like to confirm that?

<ovf censored> me. Some of you need to have a word with yourselves. 

So far we've played three teams better than us on paper this season, teams that are more fancied to do well than us, and competed in all of those games.

We see obviously not going to be a side full of goals but if we become a team that's hard to beat then in Pope, Cullen, Bennett and Amoo we will have more than enough to have a steady season. Lose at home by a goal against a team from a higher leave and some of you see ready to jump off Sneyd bridge. Get a grip. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TylerB said:

So far we've played three teams better than us on paper this season, teams that are more fancied to do well than us, and competed in all of those games.

We see obviously not going to be a side full of goals but if we become a team that's hard to beat then in Pope, Cullen, Bennett and Amoo we will have more than enough to have a steady season. Lose at home by a goal against a team from a higher leave and some of you see ready to jump off Sneyd bridge. Get a grip. 

Not suicidal TylerB. We look a better side than last year and not expecting to be in another relegation battle. Just know we need to score more goals than last season. Really hope Cullen is the answer as we are too reliant on Popey.

39 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Far too sensible a post!

People won’t like that!