Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Fosse69

Match Thread: LC1 Port Vale v Burton Albion

Lack of creativity will be our downfall, goals win games. Can’t rely on winning 1-0 every game. Hope things change, but let’s be honest we have the same side as last season barring one player. 

• Like 2

I thought we were well beaten by a team that looked years ahead of us technically. We got into their faces a bit and made a fight of it but ultimately we look a long way behind the curve these days against a mid table league one side. 

• Like 3

It is indeed great to have our Club back but we need to improve our scoring record or we're in for another long season.

The midfield isn't strong enough, particularly, without Oyeleke.

• Like 2

Another game with no goal from open play which is extremely worrying. It seems it really is the same group of players with a couple of additions. Thought crookes was awful tonight, still not convinced he is a good enough left back. We are desperate for someone else in midfield, I said we needed a midfielder even with manny fit, now it is critical. Same 11 essentially so no surprise really. 

• Like 2

Outpassed us and far more movement.

Looked streets ahead of us. Sadly another year with no glamour tie.

Very early days but I'm not even convinced Cullen is an upgrade on Miller 

Lots of conundrums and work to do for Askey.

Positives Brown, Worrall Gibbons 

Negatives midfield and Crookes

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Another game with no goal from open play which is extremely worrying. It seems it really is the same group of players with a couple of additions. Thought crookes was awful tonight, still not convinced he is a good enough left back. We are desperate for someone else in midfield, I said we needed a midfielder even with manny fit, now it is critical. Same 11 essentially so no surprise really. 

The Crux of the matter is basically we have one new starter Amoo

We needed 4 new starters minimum

• Like 1

I thought it was a decent football game, though quite technical. Started with both sides 433 and they were just technically better and went one up. We changed the midfield and moved Worrall infield and went 4231 and shaded it up until the goal. They then went 3 at the back and moved a defender into midfield on Worrall and scored again. We then bought Bennett on and went 442 and probably shaded the last 15 minutes. You could see some championship quality in a couple of their players. We certainly weren't played off the park and we did create chances against a decent team from a higher league. 

• Like 2

Agree with a lot that's been already said. The midfield is woefully lacking in creativity without the oft injured Manny and the new signings are having little impact on the team apart perhaps from the in and out Amoo. There's no doubt een progress off the field but there's very little on it so far this season.

Without Manny we aren`t great ,like last season but generally we are slightly better in my view. I was fairly impressed by Bennett , Monty and Smith, who seems stronger,

Not  a disaster tonight unlike last season when we were taken apart by Lincoln reserves,

Started ok. Conceded a crap goal out of nowhere really and then spent the next 15 minutes really panicking. Got the pen, well finished by Cullen, had a dominant 15-20 spell where we were well on top and then conceded another crap, poor goal which ripped the sting out of the tail.

I'm getting concerned about the back four as the 4 we've conceded in 3 were all very avoidable. 

433 doesn't work when Montano and Amoo aren't being played in/through enough. 

When Pope and Bennett came on it reverted to hopeless hoofball, and not the good MA kind where there was always a winger waiting to receive the square ball from Pope once he'd trapped it - tonight they were isolated.

They feigned injury about 6 times, simply embarrassing and unsurprisingly poorly handled by the officials. The referee, while nowhere near David Rock's league, was poor. I'm not sure if even half of our set pieces actually played out as he blew during most of them for fantasy Vale shirt plus. 

Why the frig were Stewards in the Paddock using hand held metal detectors and physically frisking people attending a nothing first round cup tie against tiny Burton? Are we entering Vale Park or secure airside at an Airport? They didn't do it to me as I stared the steward down as I approached but plenty of others were getting groped without being 1) informed before starting or 2) the steward seeking permission to physically frisk first.

I heard one of them saying the one using the metal detector was doing so "because he wants to play with his new toy". Is this some weirdo acting of his own volition or is this sanctioned by Phil Mayer? I'll be writing to Carol to ask. Football fans get shafted and deprived of liberties enough already without overzealous physical frisking by a sad act in a high vis vest just to enter the frigging ground for a nothing game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Without Manny we aren`t great ,like last season but generally we are slightly better in my view. I was fairly impressed by Bennett , Monty and Smith, who seems stronger,

Not  a disaster tonight unlike last season when we were taken apart by Lincoln reserves,

I was quite impressed with Bennett, looked a better footballer than I expected.

Thinking about it after posting, I've also just realised we haven't scored from open play yet, and that after a quick check, under Askey we've P19 W4, in other words 21%.

Lose >2 out of the next 5 and it's going to get very concerning.

• Like 2

Some over reactions on social media tonight, we lost against a half decent league one outfit and had a go so was never likely to be easy. They have better quality and the fact Burton are a league above is down to longer term issues ie years of neglect rather than this set up.

Am concerned we seem negative though and not playing maybe as we did during the spell of those four wins. I think we need a couple of decent loanees before the window closes personally to add depth in there, a midfielder in the Manny mould and a centre back... possibly a left back too.

Surely the budget will stretch to that if we can get a decent deal with clubs?

Not worried just yet, great effort at Col U, decent performance against Cobblers who are not a bad side and beaten narrowly by a side a league above...

See where we are in a few games. Win on Saturday and we will have had a decent start to the season.

• Like 1

Lets hope its not 46 games = 46 goals. 

We seem slightly better than last season, but still dont see us scoring enough goals to be comfortable this season.

The one up top does not work. He can carry on all he likes it wont get us goals with the players we have in our team.

Id sooner stick two up top and be more direct and win the knock downs and cause some trouble in the other box.

• Like 1

Started ok. Conceded a crap goal out of nowhere really and then spent the next 15 minutes really panicking. Got the pen, well finished by Cullen, had a dominant 15-20 spell where we were well on top and then conceded another crap, poor goal which ripped the sting out of the tail.

They scored 9 minutes after our equaliser Doha , so not sure about your 15-20 minutes of well on top ? 

I know in general 90% of crowds in this Cup are awful. But after the takeover and feel good factor we lost 3700 home fans in a few days, also strangely the crowd was lower than last year against Lincoln when the previous incumbent owned us.

Dreadful crowd last night and it was played out in a friendly type atmosphere. All in all those who stayed in for Emmerdale made the right call 

• Like 1

Just shows the fine margins of football emotions.

In a parallel universe we are one better defensive decision, and one better referee decision away from having a 100% league record and being out of the cup we never win in anyway.

We HAVE to stop having a short term view. The road to repair is going to be long and hard.

The performances against Colchester and Northampton showed improvements. Proven by the Colchester manager saying so (never mind the fact we didn’t get spanked) and the far improved xG vs Northampton.

Can we please reserve judgement until Christmas time... then we will have more data and more understanding of how the season looks like it will pan out.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

i agree what you are saying IC. But data or XG means diddly squat.

By all accounts Lard had 24 goal attempts last night and scored one. Data doesn't put the ball in the onion bag. I think Mid September we will have an idea. There is a lot of psychological stuff. Our start has been okay, that said we have 3 difficult games and could be staring at 5 without a win by the time we play Cambridge. Reversely get some points on the board things will be rosier. I don't think it is negativity but an accumulation of the dirge we have had. Ultimately we need a win on the board and soon.

• Like 2

The difference between us and a club who are a league above, who also bear in mind have been in and out of the championship in recent years, with some good players in their team was there for all to see at times last night. They kept the ball well and moved us around and got in between our midfield and back 4 a bit too often. Askey changed it a bit to stop that and we had some good spells of pressure, but unlike them we don’t have a team stuffed with players decent on the ball with good movement to maintain momentum. I think Amoo showed why he hasn’t played higher, totally clueless when he had to do the other side of the game and he left Gibbo exposed more than once. Monty was a bit better in that regard, but not much. I’m amazed we didn’t target their full backs and encourage  the 2 wingers to get at them more. Positives for me Brown as usual, Gibbons and Worrall. But I think Worrall is wasted playing deeper, and we lose that link up play with Gibbons. We definitely miss Manny. Overall we showed in spells we can get at teams and certain players shone like the 3 I mentioned above, but not necessarily as a unit, which Burton did. As someone mentioned earlier we are in a lower league reaping what we have sowed in terms of off the field problems and decline and constant change on the pitch. It’s no wonder they are ahead of us. 

Crookes needs to be careful IMO, the loan window isn’t far off closing and I wonder if we need to get a dedicated left back in if his performances continue. I don’t think he is doing enough and offering enough to the team. I think Amoo can do more than he’s showing as well. If Manny can’t stay fit (it looks that way) we need to address that with someone else, if there is someone out there that we can get.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1