onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: LC1 Port Vale v Burton Albion

Fosse69

Much too soon to be in panic mode! Yes ,we've only scored 3 in 3...but we HAVE created chances...so it's not lack of creativity that's the problem, it's individuals' finishing (and, maybe, decision-making?) that needs sharpening. Get this right and the goals will follow. But a GD of only -1 against a team tipped for promotion; another that's spent money we can only dream of, and the third from a division higher - and, not long ago, in the Championship - is actually not bad!.   

Advert

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

Askey has signed a load of ex Macc players who aren’t better than the players who finished 20th last season!

We have played 3 games and not scored a goal from open play and played one up front with a 30 yard gap to the midfield! It’s dreadful.

Quality not quantity he said. Duped again. Anyone watching that last night and first half on Saturday (until he brought on Cullen to partner Pope) who didn’t know better, could be forgiven in thinking Aspin was back in charge.

This honeymoon period for him won’t last long unless he pulls his finger out and changes what most fans can see is wrong. A full season of a lone striker in what is a deep 4-5-1 all season will turn fans away. He needs a win in the next 6 days.

At start of the season, what result did you expect against Colchester who battered us twice last season and Northampton who are widely tipped to be a top 10 team?

where do you expect you realistically expect us to finish this year?

You genuinely can’t see the difference between Aspins style and Askeys? Genuinely? 

Im not having a go... I’m actually interested in your opinions, because for such a visceral emotive response to one loss against a top half league one team there must be some pretty interesting answers to the above.

Boyce, who scored Burton's first goal last night, was top scorer in the Scottish Prem two seasons ago and cost them half a million quid.  That's the sort of thing a well run club can do.  We haven't been anywhere near well run for years now.  That's why we will be playing catch up for a while.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Boyce, who scored Burton's first goal last night, was top scorer in the Scottish Prem two seasons ago and cost them half a million quid.  That's the sort of thing a well run club can do.  We haven't been anywhere near well run for years now.  That's why we will be playing catch up for a while.

You also need to be well run and then splash the cash like Burton have done. Let’s hope Carol doesn’t neglect the team funds. There’s no good being a fantastic community club and see her face in everything winning awards when the team is still <ovf censored>

Carol and Kevin are at the wheel. Sorry I forgot that you can’t be critical.

Im not convinced on Askey. Anyone with any footballing nouse can see we play a negative 4-5-1. The 1 is so isolated i feel sorry for whoever plays that role. We looked so much better on Saturday with Cullen off Pope. Last night, in my opinion, we went out of the cup with a whimper. A cup we could have done with having a run in. We laugh at them down the road but Askeys record is not good at all and I’m not seeing any of this high tempo, high press football we played in a 4 game period towards the end of last season to stay up. His recruitment in the summer has been dreadful, Amoo and Cullen aside.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

Carol and Kevin are at the wheel. Sorry I forgot that you can’t be critical.

Don't be daft.  That's the sort of comment that makes me lose the will to live on here at times.  They will make mistakes, they wouldn't be human if they didn't, but I suspect they are far more likely to learn from their mistakes and make progress than the buffoon we previously had in charge.

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

Anyone with any footballing nouse can see we play a negative 4-5-1.

How does that correlate with us having the 6th highest quality goal scoring opportunities created in the league over the two games? That doesn’t sound negative?

26 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

You also need to be well run and then splash the cash like Burton have done. Let’s hope Carol doesn’t neglect the team funds. There’s no good being a fantastic community club and see her face in everything winning awards when the team is still <ovf censored>

Define “neglect the team funds”

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Don't be daft.  That's the sort of comment that makes me lose the will to live on here at times.  They will make mistakes, they wouldn't be human if they didn't, but I suspect they are far more likely to learn from their mistakes and make progress than the buffoon we previously had in charge.

I’m not disputing that. I’m on about the fans. All over social media if you say anything critical you get jumped on.

Im extremely happy they have the club. 

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

How does that correlate with us having the 6th highest quality goal scoring opportunities created in the league over the two games? That doesn’t sound negative?

That stat means nothing. We haven’t missed sitters and no keepers had a blunder against us. The gap from the striker to the midfield is negative beyond belief. Most of those so called chances were probably made when Cullen came on to partner Pope on Saturday. Or Legge missing headers from corners. In open play we haven’t got 40 goals in us. 

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

That stat means nothing. We haven’t missed sitters and no keepers had a blunder against us. The gap from the striker to the midfield is negative beyond belief. Most of those so called chances were probably made when Cullen came on to partner Pope on Saturday. Or Legge missing headers from corners. In open play we haven’t got 40 goals in us. 

You’re arguing against yourself there I’m afraid.

Given we “haven’t missed sitters”, to achieve the 6th best xG (quality chances to score) means we have created a good volume of chances. That’s how the stat is calculated.

I’m not saying you are right or wrong... but since it’s introduction into the mainstream, xG has had a direct correlation to team performance and success. And your opinion isn’t matched by the stats for the first two games. 

We out  the cup and Carol and Kevin and Vale could have done with the money .

So all in all a bad night for the club but taking the opposition club is light years ahead of us it was expected 

On 13/08/2019 at 21:10, PVFC764 said:

The later owner was more devious about the way he went about things and had a master plan to make as much money out of the club as he could rather than fund the club so it progresses.  Just glad he has gone and a new era is starting.

All of this seems to be on the wrong thread

When I moved from the North Staffs area to live and work near to Burton-on-Trent in 1982, Burton Albion were in the Northern Premier League and managed by Neil Warnock. We had John McGrath as manager with John Rudge as Assistant. Some years later having worked with many Albion fans, I can’t believe how far ahead of us they now seem to be. They have a chairman who runs the club properly and a decent manager in Nigel Clough. I just hope that Carol, Kevin and John Askey have the same success for us as Ben Robinson has had at Burton Albion.

Archived