onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: LC1 Port Vale v Burton Albion

Fosse69

Advert

I don't make many to be fair, so I'll take that!
I just genuinely don't get why people are up in arms so far. We've looked mostly solid enough without being close to spectacular. I know we're yet to win, but we'll be a win one, draw one, lose one sort of team this season. That will be enough for some sort of mid-table finish which is what a relastic target should be this season.
Agreed, both colchester and Northampton are strong sides fancied for the playoffs, and Burton look like a decent league 1 outfit. Next two games Salford and forest green are also very tough games. The fixture list hasn't been kind, it was always going to be a tough start. People can throw statistics at me all day long, I can see though we look stronger than recent years. Yes were not going to rip any trees up, and we are still 3/4 players short, but it does look better. Keep the faith Valiants, it's just the start of the journey.

50 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

If anyone looks at Vales history in the league cup it’s appalling. In fact we may as well not bother. Even when we were good we bad in this competition. 

Indeed.  We have had four managers since we last won a League Cup game!

This season we have replaced Miller for Cullen, Hannant for Amoo and Quigley for Bennett.

It is slightly concerning that we seem to be so reliant on a fully fit Manny and that doesn't seem to happen very often unfortunately, I hoped that mid field would have been strengthened with someone who could come into the team from the off and give us something extra to what we have. 

It's early days and the fixtures have given us a tough start, but I still think we are in a better place than last season overall. 

So far we have:

Been winning and drawn against an expected promotion challenger who absolutely battered us twice last year

Outplayed an expected top 10 team and only lost due to a shockingly incorrect reffing decision.

Lost in a cup competition to last seasons semi finalists, a team containing players with championship players, who are expected to be top half of the league above.

And guess what... our next league opposition are 2nd favourites to win the league. So I’m not expecting a win there either!

A finish of around 15th was what the majority on here expected and said they would call progress. 

The above results reflect that, and yet people are losing their minds. Think long term people!

Put it another way... we are 15th in the league now! And for those that say it’s too early to judge the league table... I would say they have made my argument for me! 

If we are lower than 15th and look like struggling come Christmas then I agree we may have concerns... until then it’s just negative energy that’s not helping anyone! 

3 games in and there's as much to be optimistic about as negative about. We're still players short, still won't score enough goal to finish where we would all like to finish. But there is and will be progress. Our best business in the summer was arguably keeping hold of Brown and Oyeleke, and we managed to do both. On our budgest we wouldn't have found two better players had we had to replace the two of them, so people should keep that in mind.

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

<ovf censored> me. Some of you need to have a word with yourselves. 

So far we've played three teams better than us on paper this season, teams that are more fancied to do well than us, and competed in all of those games.

We see obviously not going to be a side full of goals but if we become a team that's hard to beat then in Pope, Cullen, Bennett and Amoo we will have more than enough to have a steady season. Lose at home by a goal against a team from a higher leave and some of you see ready to jump off Sneyd bridge. Get a grip. 

Why is that acceptable this season but wasn’t under aspin last season? 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

The season has barely become so I'm not really sure what you're asking?

I also have much more faith in Askey than I did Aspin, despite both having poor records. Though I'd have more faith still in Jim Gannon than Neil Aspin, so it's not saying an awful lot.

If we beat Salford on Saturday everyone will be walking around trying to hide erections and the Burton loss will be long forgotten about.

Just now, TylerB said:

The season has barely become so I'm not really sure what you're asking?

I also have much more faith in Askey than I did Aspin, despite both having poor records. Though I'd have more faith still in Jim Gannon than Neil Aspin, so it's not saying an awful lot.

If we beat Salford on Saturday everyone will be walking around trying to hide erections and the Burton loss will be long forgotten about.

So do I. I was happy with the askey appointment and think he’s a decent manager.

You are saying we’ve done well for being hard to beat but last season it wasn’t acceptable (granted off a much larger time period). 

I think we will beat Salford personally. Crawley smashes them and they have signed very average players. Fancy us to at least get a point. 

23 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Aspins style and coaching methods (well Nogans as Aspin didn’t coach) were i hear nowhere near what Askey is trying to do. I know for a fact that under Aspin we did very little of what we are doing now with patterns of play and how we will set up and be more positive. I can see the difference, it may not be raining goals but I think we look to have a gameplan and we have players trying to be positive. But as Zebra says above it’s going to take some time to turn things around. 

Askey has signed a load of ex Macc players who aren’t better than the players who finished 20th last season!

We have played 3 games and not scored a goal from open play and played one up front with a 30 yard gap to the midfield! It’s dreadful.

Quality not quantity he said. Duped again. Anyone watching that last night and first half on Saturday (until he brought on Cullen to partner Pope) who didn’t know better, could be forgiven in thinking Aspin was back in charge.

This honeymoon period for him won’t last long unless he pulls his finger out and changes what most fans can see is wrong. A full season of a lone striker in what is a deep 4-5-1 all season will turn fans away. He needs a win in the next 6 days.

22 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Askey is trying to score goals and play attacking football... whether you agree with the xG measurement or not, it currently shows we are the 6th best team at creating scoring opportunities based on the two league games.

Aspin didn't.

Under Askey the lack of goals so far is because of ability (which is very hard to judge after TWO LEAGUE GAMES) . Under Aspin it was because of style and tactics (which he would have played all season long)

Do you agree there is a big difference?

Way off the mark there I think. There’s too much importance put on having 2 strikers on the pitch I think. If you can’t see what the 2 either side of Pope are doing then honestly what were you watching? Add to that you’ve got 2 fullbacks pushing on too. It’s nothing like what Aspin was doing IMO. 

Archived