onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: LC1 Port Vale v Burton Albion

Fosse69

17 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Without Manny we aren`t great ,like last season but generally we are slightly better in my view. I was fairly impressed by Bennett , Monty and Smith, who seems stronger,

Not  a disaster tonight unlike last season when we were taken apart by Lincoln reserves,

I was quite impressed with Bennett, looked a better footballer than I expected.

Advert

Thinking about it after posting, I've also just realised we haven't scored from open play yet, and that after a quick check, under Askey we've P19 W4, in other words 21%.

Lose >2 out of the next 5 and it's going to get very concerning.

Some over reactions on social media tonight, we lost against a half decent league one outfit and had a go so was never likely to be easy. They have better quality and the fact Burton are a league above is down to longer term issues ie years of neglect rather than this set up.

Am concerned we seem negative though and not playing maybe as we did during the spell of those four wins. I think we need a couple of decent loanees before the window closes personally to add depth in there, a midfielder in the Manny mould and a centre back... possibly a left back too.

Surely the budget will stretch to that if we can get a decent deal with clubs?

Not worried just yet, great effort at Col U, decent performance against Cobblers who are not a bad side and beaten narrowly by a side a league above...

See where we are in a few games. Win on Saturday and we will have had a decent start to the season.

Lets hope its not 46 games = 46 goals. 

We seem slightly better than last season, but still dont see us scoring enough goals to be comfortable this season.

The one up top does not work. He can carry on all he likes it wont get us goals with the players we have in our team.

Id sooner stick two up top and be more direct and win the knock downs and cause some trouble in the other box.

Started ok. Conceded a crap goal out of nowhere really and then spent the next 15 minutes really panicking. Got the pen, well finished by Cullen, had a dominant 15-20 spell where we were well on top and then conceded another crap, poor goal which ripped the sting out of the tail.

They scored 9 minutes after our equaliser Doha , so not sure about your 15-20 minutes of well on top ? 

I know in general 90% of crowds in this Cup are awful. But after the takeover and feel good factor we lost 3700 home fans in a few days, also strangely the crowd was lower than last year against Lincoln when the previous incumbent owned us.

Dreadful crowd last night and it was played out in a friendly type atmosphere. All in all those who stayed in for Emmerdale made the right call 

Just shows the fine margins of football emotions.

In a parallel universe we are one better defensive decision, and one better referee decision away from having a 100% league record and being out of the cup we never win in anyway.

We HAVE to stop having a short term view. The road to repair is going to be long and hard.

The performances against Colchester and Northampton showed improvements. Proven by the Colchester manager saying so (never mind the fact we didn’t get spanked) and the far improved xG vs Northampton.

Can we please reserve judgement until Christmas time... then we will have more data and more understanding of how the season looks like it will pan out.

i agree what you are saying IC. But data or XG means diddly squat.

By all accounts Lard had 24 goal attempts last night and scored one. Data doesn't put the ball in the onion bag. I think Mid September we will have an idea. There is a lot of psychological stuff. Our start has been okay, that said we have 3 difficult games and could be staring at 5 without a win by the time we play Cambridge. Reversely get some points on the board things will be rosier. I don't think it is negativity but an accumulation of the dirge we have had. Ultimately we need a win on the board and soon.

The difference between us and a club who are a league above, who also bear in mind have been in and out of the championship in recent years, with some good players in their team was there for all to see at times last night. They kept the ball well and moved us around and got in between our midfield and back 4 a bit too often. Askey changed it a bit to stop that and we had some good spells of pressure, but unlike them we don’t have a team stuffed with players decent on the ball with good movement to maintain momentum. I think Amoo showed why he hasn’t played higher, totally clueless when he had to do the other side of the game and he left Gibbo exposed more than once. Monty was a bit better in that regard, but not much. I’m amazed we didn’t target their full backs and encourage  the 2 wingers to get at them more. Positives for me Brown as usual, Gibbons and Worrall. But I think Worrall is wasted playing deeper, and we lose that link up play with Gibbons. We definitely miss Manny. Overall we showed in spells we can get at teams and certain players shone like the 3 I mentioned above, but not necessarily as a unit, which Burton did. As someone mentioned earlier we are in a lower league reaping what we have sowed in terms of off the field problems and decline and constant change on the pitch. It’s no wonder they are ahead of us. 

Crookes needs to be careful IMO, the loan window isn’t far off closing and I wonder if we need to get a dedicated left back in if his performances continue. I don’t think he is doing enough and offering enough to the team. I think Amoo can do more than he’s showing as well. If Manny can’t stay fit (it looks that way) we need to address that with someone else, if there is someone out there that we can get.

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

i agree what you are saying IC. But data or XG means diddly squat.

By all accounts Lard had 24 goal attempts last night and scored one. Data doesn't put the ball in the onion bag. I think Mid September we will have an idea. There is a lot of psychological stuff. Our start has been okay, that said we have 3 difficult games and could be staring at 5 without a win by the time we play Cambridge. Reversely get some points on the board things will be rosier. I don't think it is negativity but an accumulation of the dirge we have had. Ultimately we need a win on the board and soon.

I get your point on the old data vs reality argument... it’s a fascinating topic.

Im someone that believes that the data does make a difference... but over a long enough period.

People lose money in a growing stock market... their view is too short.

Over a game, an xG stat can easily not correlate with the goals scored. But over a season, a higher xG will lead to more goals and more points.

That said there are always freak results because we play on a pitch not a spreadsheet.

Last night underlined how desperate we are for a strong centre midfielder - without the often injured Manny we are dominated far too easily.  Joyce is anonymous when Manny doesn’t play, and Worrall achieves little in that role despite his work rate.

Positives Brown, Gibbo, Smith, thought Monty was decent, and Bennett made a difference when he came on.

Negatives - Crookes and midfield were poor, Cullen and Amoo struggled to get into the game.  Another game passes without a goal from open play, and this is a trend that may soon become worrying.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I get your point on the old data vs reality argument... it’s a fascinating topic.

Im someone that believes that the data does make a difference... but over a long enough period.

People lose money in a growing stock market... their view is too short.

Over a game, an xG stat can easily not correlate with the goals scored. But over a season, a higher xG will lead to more goals and more points.

That said there are always freak results because we play on a pitch not a spreadsheet.

Long term results have to be the best option to take an overall view of the position,IC.We could have won our first 2 league games and be sitting top of the league then we would have the Going Up thread.Generally,football fans want things yesterday.I think we should have a look after 20 games.😉

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Thinking about it after posting, I've also just realised we haven't scored from open play yet, and that after a quick check, under Askey we've P19 W4, in other words 21%.

Lose >2 out of the next 5 and it's going to get very concerning.

Don’t worry he has got a 3 yr contract.

11 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

Great that we have our club back but I don't see anything different on the pitch from the last couple of seasons. Early days though....

Agree.

Bit concerned having made 11 signings that only Amoo (and Crookes) are in the starting 11?

We play patches of decent possession football, good on the eye football.

Sady there appears no end result, however, saying that we should have beaten Northampton.

I think Askey may be looking to introduce change and introducing new players gradually. Remember the first 4 games of his tenure - defeats, then suddenly away at Notts County there was a massive change in system and dynamics!

He surely has focussed on strikers and attack minded players, lets see.

On first impressions it looks difficult to create goal threat, Oyeleke seems to have fitness issues at league level for some reason?

Positive response required at Salford.

Club is in a much better place now the fat controller has gone, it may take some time to turn the club around after he and a string of catastrophic decisions on the field have reduced us to near extinction.

I trust the Shanahans and John Askey to take us on to much better things.

Keep the faith.

Archived