onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Fight for Football`s Soul

Fosse69

Advert

This is slightly off on a tangent but all related.

I have to say that when I see players earning in excess of 300k a week it makes me feel pretty frustrated and angry. In many ways I'm pleased we have a lower division club to support and we are not subject to contributing towards the wages of players on such astronomical salaries, a million miles distant from the working man on the terraces. But the days of walking up the Hamil with Albert Leake and Tommy Cheadle have long since departed.

It's completely out of hand and in the austere society in which we presently live it's quite frankly appalling. But you can't blame the players from maximising their short careers and it's supply and demand that dictates all this. I realise that. But it doesn't make it right.

On the other hand, we see what is going on at Bolton and in particular Bury and I find it all very depressing. The Premiership could club together today and pay Bury's bills and they'd be none the wiser.

9 minutes ago, TheSage said:

This is slightly off on a tangent but all related.

I have to say that when I see players earning in excess of 300k a week it makes me feel pretty frustrated and angry. In many ways I'm pleased we have a lower division club to support and we are not subject to contributing towards the wages of players on such astronomical salaries, a million miles distant from the working man on the terraces. But the days of walking up the Hamil with Albert Leake and Tommy Cheadle have long since departed.

It's completely out of hand and in the austere society in which we presently live it's quite frankly appalling. But you can't blame the players from maximising their short careers and it's supply and demand that dictates all this. I realise that. But it doesn't make it right.

On the other hand, we see what is going on at Bolton and in particular Bury and I find it all very depressing. The Premiership could club together today and pay Bury's bills and they'd be none the wiser.

It is the community aspects that are important especially at our level

Issue with it all is, as the game at the top level is that lucrative & there are so many people that want to watch it, for every true fan of football that gives up on their team or decides to boycott, their place will be taken by a PL glory hunter, so it will make little difference. Add to that the huge viewing numbers on TV, I just can't see it ever getting any better. For me, the Championship will always be the better/more interesting league, & the one to aim for when it comes to me watching Vale. The success & money that would be obtained by reaching the heights of the PL (not that we necessarily would) would come with a massive price IMO.

I no longer envy the likes of yo-yo clubs & teams such as WBA, Palace, Norwich, Watford, Wolves, Bournemouth etc, as they have nothing to aim for, aside from their bite of the Sky cake & utter mediocrity every year (or even just survival). I imagine there are hundreds of thousands of proper football fans already sick of the way the game is run, however without huge collective willpower (which is unlikely), there's no way anything is ever going to change for the better.

#againstmodernfootball

The wider the gap between the players and the fans the more chance of it eventually imploding.

It must be ten years ago now when I spoke to a bloke who used to support one of the big teams but even back then said he'd packed it in as it was becoming ludicrously expensive and divorced from reality. But it's hard to predict when the bubble will burst. It's still on an upward trend at present.

I'm no expert on costs to follow a top club but I guess it's, what, between £30-50 a single adult ticket, plus perhaps transport costs, refreshments, programme possibly, purchases from the shop, etc. And if there's 2-3 of you in your family multiply that and see what you get. Away games as well. It really is for the prawn sandwich brigade now!

Also lost interest with the Premier League its just too far away from the reality that is Port Vale. My daughter has entered her works Fantasy Football League, unable to offer her any advise as  dont even bother with MOTD anymore . She is better informed than me. By contrast the EFL is now on Quest, that's how big  the gap is.

I’ve said this a million times before and it’s now going to be a million and one.

For all the media hype and all the oodles of cash swilling around in the Greed Is Good pig trough, is the product any better than it was before Sky ruined the game ?

Years ago, players like Newcastle’s Alan Shoulder for example were working in factories before they got their chance in the pro game and knew the value of this “apprenticeship” Yet today, all youngsters are “hoovered up” by clubs at an early age and never really know what it’s like to work for a living. Hence that detachment from reality.

This is but one of the many reasons why that fan/player relationship has been lost as, unlike bygone days, that common bond no longer exists.

Where have all the characters gone ? Who are today’s Leatherhead’s Chris “the lip” Kelly. (one for the kids), Rodney Marsh, Paul Gasgoigne etc etc. They don’t exist.

And neither now does that bond between the working man and his (or her) Saturday afternoon heroes.

This article reflects more on the Premier, but sadly the same situation exists throughout the Football League, just to differing degree’s. 

Sad, but true. 

57 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I’ve said this a million times before and it’s now going to be a million and one.

For all the media hype and all the oodles of cash swilling around in the Greed Is Good pig trough, is the product any better than it was before Sky ruined the game ?

Years ago, players like Newcastle’s Alan Shoulder for example were working in factories before they got their chance in the pro game and knew the value of this “apprenticeship” Yet today, all youngsters are “hoovered up” by clubs at an early age and never really know what it’s like to work for a living. Hence that detachment from reality.

This is but one of the many reasons why that fan/player relationship has been lost as, unlike bygone days, that common bond no longer exists.

Where have all the characters gone ? Who are today’s Leatherhead’s Chris “the lip” Kelly. (one for the kids), Rodney Marsh, Paul Gasgoigne etc etc. They don’t exist.

And neither now does that bond between the working man and his (or her) Saturday afternoon heroes.

This article reflects more on the Premier, but sadly the same situation exists throughout the Football League, just to differing degree’s. 

Sad, but true. 

I've also noticed changes at England games where flags promoting PL clubs have diminished.We now have many more fans from the EFL and non-league instead.Very rarely have I seen flags from the 'Big Six' clubs apart from Man.City.

Do fans from the these clubs think they are bigger than England perhaps?

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

I've also noticed changes at England games where flags promoting PL clubs have diminished.We now have many more fans from the EFL and non-league instead.Very rarely have I seen flags from the 'Big Six' clubs apart from Man.City.

Do fans from the these clubs think they are bigger than England perhaps?

I've actually seen this in the press; big 6 clubs' fans look askance at England fixtures because they say the football is better at club games.

We've already had the example of Sir Alex refusing to release his Man U players for 'meaningless' friendlies or making sure they suffered 'injuries' that had mysteriously cleared up by the next club game. I'm sure he wasn't the only one. 

1 hour ago, Heatwave said:

I've actually seen this in the press; big 6 clubs' fans look askance at England fixtures because they say the football is better at club games.

We've already had the example of Sir Alex refusing to release his Man U players for 'meaningless' friendlies or making sure they suffered 'injuries' that had mysteriously cleared up by the next club game. I'm sure he wasn't the only one. 

Most players in the top 4/6 teams are internationals of a similar or better quality than England, and importantly they play together a lot more. The point really is supporting your national team, which for EFL fans has the benefit of watching players they rarely see live. 

Archived