onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

Should have won that, had enough chances, despite a poor first half. Leggy and ineffective long ball with Pope isolated.

Referee and Linesman - I will refrain from commenting in detail to avoid an inciting violence conviction. Decision making aside, the constant stop start whistleblowing and not playing advantages ruined the game. 

If Northampton are a promotion side we’re top 3. They were crap. 

I hope the Shanahans had their staff walking around today making notes on the operational inadequacies still going on, i.e still a big queue in the railway at HT with no hot food left. Shouldn’t take long to rectify once they’ve had a few home games to get to grips.

They need to address the lack of lighting in the gents toilets in the railway stand too, extremely dangerous considering the floor is swimming in urine.

Advert

Not seen much so far this season to divert from my opinion that we'll be a solid mid table team. A better performance than last week, against opposition that are not as good as Colchester. Chances for both sides few and far between 1st half, but we were good second half and deserved to take the points.

Having seen some of the more contentious decisions on iFollow, it wasn't a corner leading to their goal. The two red card challenges could have gone either way. Their number 3 should have been sent off, possibly twice. I am enjoying watching us again because we are exciting going forward and don't look like a complete shower at the back. Once we get that first win, then I think others will follow.

The first half was pretty much a case of cancelling each other out with the strong blustery wind ruining the game. The pity was that we couldn't hold on to the lead. We didn't defend well enough. It's ok blaming the officials but as far as I'm aware they don't kick a ball or head one either. We were sloppy before the break and errors gave them 2-3 corners in succession when we should have done better.

Their only ploy was the high ball to their tall lad(s) - predictable but effective. They nearly scored twice at the start of the second half but Amoo cleared off the line and Brown made a fabulous save. After that it was all Vale and we were unlucky not to win it towards the end. That said, they defended stubbornly and our final ball just wasn't clinical enough, the same as last year.

It's still last season's team, with the addition of Amoo, so we will struggle to score goals. Criticism of Pope is way over the top. It's a very hard job when you are an isolated lone striker with no-one within 40 yards of you. Our two other "forwards" are both wingers so Pope does get left on his own a lot. But that isn't his fault. 

I enjoyed the second half. They were fortunate not to get at least one red card and rode their luck at times but I suspect that's a game that we might have lost last season so plenty to be encouraged about.

Oyeleke's hamstring injury is a worry. I still think we look a bit lightweight in midfield when we haven't got the ball.

But all in all quite an entertaining game and we were a bit unlucky not to win it at the end.

We defended stoutly and Conlon was perhaps rightly given the MOTM award.

Arguably a game we should have won, but I thought there were plenty of positives in there.

I didn’t expect Northampton to be so route one, but in the main we coped well with it. That’s kind of battle that plays right in to the hands of players like Legge and Smith, I think that’s what they’re good at. The first half took a while to get going, it was quite a close game but we were good value for the goal I thought. Great header from Amoo. The end of the second half saw a few untidy mistakes that put us under a bit of pressure so it was disappointing to concede so late in the half for the second week running. 

Second half we really took the game to them and I thought it was much better to watch. Crookes and Amoo were linking well, as were Gibbons and Worrall. At times they couldn’t cope with our play down the wings and by comparison their full backs weren’t offering anywhere the forward outlet ours were. We got ourselves into some really good positions and there were definitely times we should have taken a shot instead of crossing. Listening to Askey after and it seems as though it’s an aspect of our game we’re working on to get people free in the box. The only thing I’ll say about Crookes is that when he gets in to forward areas  he seems to stutter a bit and I think that’s down to left back not being his natural position and it’s just not an instinct he has. Disappointing to see Manny go off, because I felt that when he and Conlon were getting on the ball that we were taking control. I felt Joyce had a good game in the midfield, he was covering everywhere. Pope had a hard afternoon against a couple of physical centre halves and he should have done better with the chances that came his way, but he really lead the line well. 

We played some nice stuff, it’s refreshing to see us actually working on ways to be more of a threat and seeing that in a game. I feel more hopeful that we won’t be battling relegation this year, we look to have more of an idea. Pick of the players today for me were Joyce, Gibbons, Worrall, Conlon and Smith. Anyone of those could have been man of the match. 

How they got away without a red card is beyond me.

Great to see we are going to cause problems with the direct running on the wings.. Love Conlon's work rate in midfield he just needs to improve his decision making passing the ball quicker and keep his concentration but think he can be a dominant midfielder for us.

Still think we need another ball playing attacking midfielder in the Khan mould, in particular with Manny's injury record. Would also like to see Monty play LB - him and Amoo combining on the left will scare every team to death in this league.

Ref ...oh my dear one of the worst ever!!

The officials once again ruined a decent game,where do they get these people from?

Back four was ok today but we didn't work their keeper enough,especially in the first half and goals may be a problem once again?Frustrating to see Manny coming off injured as well.

Roll on Burton Albion in midweek and a chance to see Monty,Cullen and Bennett perform.

I'd like to see Cullen given a chance alongside Pope against a lesser League Two side. A midfield four of Amoo, Conlon, Joyce (seeing as Oyeleke is injured) and Worrall with Pope up alongside Cullen. I'm not a big fan of Joyce as he can look leggy and ponderous, but Burgess is untested as of yet. Can Lloyd play centre-midfield?

Unfortunately our best midfielder and arguably player will more than likely miss large parts of the season agaian seeing as he's so injury hit. With that in mind we need more quality in the middle of the park and not just another body. Someone like a Callum Guy from a few years back would be ideal.

So even if you block someone you still see their posts when they’re quoted. Any way around that admin?

if anyone watched that game today and thought it was the same as last season then I really must be watching something different. We have energy and a gameplan. 

Enjoyed that thought we deserved win .

Legge should have had two by his name this evening .

Worrall ball delivery and whole performance a 8 .

Conlon was everywhere 8

Joyce 8 thought was he did was very good and always involved.

Amoo he gives us something else a 8 also plenty of excellence about him .

There was so many positives .

There goal a bit naff but we were docile around the end of the half and start of second half but once we got into a rhythm we made so many good passes and moves it was very enjoyable.

Archived