onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Northampton Town

Fosse69

First home game of the New Era,  and with a bumper gate  to show  our appreciation to Carol and Kevin Shanahan the new owners of Port Vale.

Any  team changes  expected to suit the Cobblers style?  .League positions  are mainly built from home points,  one of our failings last season,  So with the boost  of an away point at Colchester, we must be confident of three points with a more attacking style.

Advert

I’d imagine we will go with the same 11. 

For me at home I would play Cullen over Joyce and go 442, wouldn’t be looking to bring bennet on as a winger either, either up top or not at all. 

Brown 

gibbons 

legge

smith

crookes

Worrall

manny 

conlon

amoo

cullen

pope

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

First home game of the New Era,  and with a bumper gate  to show  our appreciation to Carol and Kevin Shanahan the new owners of Port Vale.

Any  team changes  expected to suit the Cobblers style?  .League positions  are mainly built from home points,  one of our failings last season,  So with the boost  of an away point at Colchester, we must be confident of three points with a more attacking style.

We are the home team Fosse it's Northampton who should be worrying about our style. 

Take the game to them and leave their expensive acquisitions at the bottom of the league.

I think it will be pretty much the same team apart  from I think we should start with both Pope and Cullen.

I think the plan this season will be to start with Pope most games but take him off after an hour so he’s not getting as tired or injured by playing the full 90 of every game as he has done in recent seasons.

It will be interesting to see the team sheet and how/when we use subs given that we have a winnable home tie in the cup just a few days later.
Of course league points are most important but a nice run in the cup would bring welcome income and some decent media attention for the right reasons for a change.
For me we have to take the game to Northampton so maybe Cullen should start alongside the Pontiff.

17 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

It will be interesting to see the team sheet and how/when we use subs given that we have a winnable home tie in the cup just a few days later.
Of course league points are most important but a nice run in the cup would bring welcome income and some decent media attention for the right reasons for a change.
For me we have to take the game to Northampton so maybe Cullen should start alongside the Pontiff.

League the priority but beating last year's Semi Finalists would be great and I would love a high profile draw for once instead of our usual Scunthorpe or Huddersfield. 

Looking forward to this one immensely!

i have been reading their forum and they are mixed on their assessment of their opening day loss.

Some saying they were unlucky, but the majority saying Curle needs a win or he will be under sever pressure.

Their main gripes were:

1. They play Zonal marking and it doesn’t work

2. Their Right back is really a centre half and doesn’t look comfortable

3. Lines was anonymous and morais should be starting but is on the bench... however as it was first game of the season they are not too concerned about that one.

4. They played the famous formation of the moment with a diamond in midfield. They don’t like it and felt overrun by an energetic young midfield.

So... plan of attack to target their right back via Amoo on the left and keep three in the middle to harass their midfield?

26 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Looking forward to this one immensely!

i have been reading their forum and they are mixed on their assessment of their opening day loss.

Some saying they were unlucky, but the majority saying Curle needs a win or he will be under sever pressure.

Their main gripes were:

1. They play Zonal marking and it doesn’t work

2. Their Right back is really a centre half and doesn’t look comfortable

3. Lines was anonymous and morais should be starting but is on the bench... however as it was first game of the season they are not too concerned about that one.

4. They played the famous formation of the moment with a diamond in midfield. They don’t like it and felt overrun by an energetic young midfield.

So... plan of attack to target their right back via Amoo on the left and keep three in the middle to harass their midfield?

Askey ain't going to play 442, pretty clear from his comments in the paper today. Very rare teams do today. If they do one normally gets quite deep.

Not convinced Northampton have recruited that well. A lot of players on the cusp of being too old. Looking forward to this one.

6 minutes ago, JRC said:

Askey ain't going to play 442, pretty clear from his comments in the paper today. Very rare teams do today. If they do one normally gets quite deep.

Not convinced Northampton have recruited that well. A lot of players on the cusp of being too old. Looking forward to this one.

I completely agree. I think Northampton could be this season’s Notts County. Too many old boys past their best. 

8 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I don't usually believe in over hyping situations, but I would love Kevin and Carol to be introduced  to the home support before the game,just so we can have the chance to show them our appreciation.

#newera.

Despite them being around for a few months, many won't have been to the friendlies or even seen them in person before so it's not a bad idea really. We'd do the same with a manager so why not!

Another tricky fixture. Given the occasion the first goal will be more vital than ever.

When teams have made wholesale changes it’ll usually take a few games for all the new faces to click, so this will hopefully work in our favour.

With regards to 442, I don’t think we’ll start that way but maybe at home we’ll revert to this formation after 60-70 mins.

Chance of another player in place of Rawlinson perhaps?  Also when is Rhys Browne due back?  Would be handy to have another wide man to bring on late in the game.

Archived