Jacko51

No cash at Colchester

I know a lot of people will moan about this, but I'm hoping more clubs (as well as other businesses) go in this direction. Contactless everything makes for a much more streamlined experience & takes away all of the fuss of having to pay, as well as speeding queues up. Good for retail/hospitality workers too who no longer have to check notes, mess about with change in tills or wait for customers to get the correct money out etc.

Stupid idea, can understand the turnstiles being cashless but having to use a card to buy a cup of tea or bag of crisps, ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Coventry did this a while ago and some Prem clubs still do. 

Glad we don’t do it, it’s got to lose sales. I for one won’t be buying anything  at Colchester.

• Like 1

I use contactless wherever I can and carry as little cash as possible. Unfortunately that’s easier said than done coming back for home games when there isn’t even a free cashpoint in Burslem let alone chip and pin machines. 

I think this will cause ppl perhaps not to go. There is still a lot of ppl that use cash, just look at the ages of fans sitting around you at our next home game. I understand that with handling cash there are costs of handling and also the temptation of theft.

Ive posted an extract from Shrewsbury fans forum titled, how could this happen. This would be a way to resolve that problem

Hope one of the old ones you are  looking at is not me, I always use contactless on the tube in London on my trips, 

• Like 1

No wonder so many EFL clubs are suffering financial problems if they can't be arsed to handle cash

Agree, until the strip on your card gives up.  Then you are well and truly, facing a problem.

Edited by toyahw

Will card readers be issued to the homeless?

Will charity boxes be swipe enabled?

Will everyone be granted a bank account no matter what their circumstances?

Markets/car boots/street vendors/school fairs/instant reissue of cards on loss...... just a few of the relatively minor problems..... add in the costs of using a card abroad..... rubbish exchange rates/high bank charges/certain cards unacceptable etc.

An old adage...... if a computer can write it it can also rewrite it.

The obvious problem is system failures/power outages/hacks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Conrad said:

Stupid idea, can understand the turnstiles being cashless but having to use a card to buy a cup of tea or bag of crisps, ridiculous.

It's the modern way Conrad - 'Tap and Go' - but not so clever for those without the magic plastic.

If my memory still serves me well it was back in the 50s when the French suggested moving to cashless trading. Now we hear of people 'phoning their favourite eatery 24/7 for a Latte to be delivered by Uber and paid for via their mobile or other device. Bonkers I say.

As for main sporting/entertainment venues? Here in Perth WA almost all tickets are pre-paid online or by 'phone, and where provision is made for walk-ups it's 'Tap and Go'.   

8 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Cash unfortunately is dead. This is the future and in 20 years it will be unheard of that we took physical money anywhere

Ha. I remember almost this exact phrase being used in IT lessons when I was at school 30 years ago. I hardly ever use cash (my wife hates it when I use contactless for something for 25p in Tesco) but it's not going away completely any time soon.