onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

No cash at Colchester

Jacko51

When I worked in a shop, a customer tried to buy something with a £50 note. I asked the manager if we were ok to take them and he said that we had to check that they weren't forgery and that to do that I would need to lick it. If it was ok, then it would taste minty. Cue gormless me rubbing my tongue all over a filthy note, looking like an utter chump and a queue of customers laughing at me.

Advert

18 hours ago, geosname said:

Do they charge you for drawing money abroad?..... does the machine or the bank who ownes the machine you are using charge?

No and no.  If I use the card to pay for anything it is done at the actual exchange rate for that day with no additional charges.  If I withdraw money from an ATM abroad I get the actually market rate for that day.  Halifax then charge me interest as it is a cash advance but I have the Halifax app on my phone so as soon as I withdraw the cash I simply transfer the equivalent amount from my bank account and never pay interest.  I pay off what I owe every month in full so again, never pay interest.  It's the best card on the market if I want to use one abroad.  It's like having your cash but without the worry of carting it around.

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

No and no.  If I use the card to pay for anything it is done at the actual exchange rate for that day with no additional charges.  If I withdraw money from an ATM abroad I get the actually market rate for that day.  Halifax then charge me interest as it is a cash advance but I have the Halifax app on my phone so as soon as I withdraw the cash I simply transfer the equivalent amount from my bank account and never pay interest.  I pay off what I owe every month in full so again, never pay interest.  It's the best card on the market if I want to use one abroad.  It's like having your cash but without the worry of carting it around.

If you used it here the bank would charge you (this end). I have accounts in Chiang mai  if I use my card to draw cash in another district (same bank) they charge...... lots of places surcharge for using credit cards too.

If you think about it, it's hardly likely you will get a 50 in your change and because most establishments are wary about them it would be stupid to forge them, although I don't doubt some may, because they are difficult to get rid of..... 20s 10s and even 5s will pass unnoticed and unchecked so they would be the forgers choice..... that doesn't help if you get landed with them.

19 minutes ago, geosname said:

If you think about it, it's hardly likely you will get a 50 in your change and because most establishments are wary about them it would be stupid to forge them, although I don't doubt some may, because they are difficult to get rid of..... 20s 10s and even 5s will pass unnoticed and unchecked so they would be the forgers choice..... that doesn't help if you get landed with them.

Having worked with cash most of my working life,we had special pens to detect forgeries.A one second process.Fifties ,twenties and tenners were checked if they looked or felt dodgy. It seems contactless purchases are quite easy with a stolen card?

18 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Having worked with cash most of my working life,we had special pens to detect forgeries.A one second process.Fifties ,twenties and tenners were checked if they looked or felt dodgy. It seems contactless purchases are quite easy with a stolen card?

They are, as are online sales if you have your card cloned as I did. Then again, the card company were on to me within half an hour of suspicious payments appearing on my account - they just asked me to identify the fraudulent ones, let the correct ones pass and raised a new card account for me, all within a few minutes. Neither was I charged for the fraudulent transactions.

I can just imagine people thousands of years ago.....

I'm not carrying a load of heavy metal discs round with me just to trade. 

I grow beans, what's wrong with trading beans? I know what everything is worth in beans when I buy things at the market. I just have to take as many as I need with me.

I don't mind that the man selling corn doesn't accept beans because the man who sells iron will and the man selling the corn accepts iron.

Now I have to buy a pouch to carry my metal discs round just so I can trade.

If someone took some beans I wouldn't notice if anyone stole any but I can count my discs and know people are always stealing them.

It's similar to people a few years ago who couldn't understand why you might want to take a picture on your phone who now constantly post pictures of their grandchildren on Facebook or refusing to use chip and pin because a signature can't be forged.

Things progress and you have to move with the times. The fact that places are even considering going cashless shows that there are large benefits which more than outweigh the negatives.

Most card and account fraud stems from the users lack of education rather than the banks in particular using the same password. People complain at the security measures they put in place then complain when the banks question them despite the fact that their money has more often than not been covered by the bank anyway. How many people use the same password for their online banking as OVF, haven't got antivirus on their phone or PC, store their card details in their browser? The equivalent would be leaving your wallet in the garage with the door wide open.

With regard to the amount lost to online fraud how much is lost to the washing machine, back of the sofa or left in lost wallets? We will never know as no one ever keeps track of it. How much money is stolen but not reported due to crime etc.? How much money paid for items never makes it into a till due to theft or selective accounting? It would be a lot harder for your typical criminal to use the proceeds of their crime or even take payment if cash wasn't about.

As others have said Burslem is stuck in a time zone half the pubs don't have card machines which seems even stranger considering there aren't any free cashpoints. 

There are benefits both to a cash economy and a cashless one but we should embrace change rather than reject it otherwise we will never progress.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

If you used it here the bank would charge you (this end). I have accounts in Chiang mai  if I use my card to draw cash in another district (same bank) they charge...... lots of places surcharge for using credit cards too.

Mine doesn't. 

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I assume you would get the banks rate of exchange?

1 hour ago, geosname said:

I assume you would get the banks rate of exchange?

I get the Mastercard day rate which, having just checked is the market rate. 

Geo, has anyone ever used the words "bee" and "bonnet" in describing you??!

Archived