onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

No cash at Colchester

Jacko51

10 hours ago, Conrad said:

Stupid idea, can understand the turnstiles being cashless but having to use a card to buy a cup of tea or bag of crisps, ridiculous.

It's the modern way Conrad - 'Tap and Go' - but not so clever for those without the magic plastic.

If my memory still serves me well it was back in the 50s when the French suggested moving to cashless trading. Now we hear of people 'phoning their favourite eatery 24/7 for a Latte to be delivered by Uber and paid for via their mobile or other device. Bonkers I say.

As for main sporting/entertainment venues? Here in Perth WA almost all tickets are pre-paid online or by 'phone, and where provision is made for walk-ups it's 'Tap and Go'.   

Advert

8 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Cash unfortunately is dead. This is the future and in 20 years it will be unheard of that we took physical money anywhere

Ha. I remember almost this exact phrase being used in IT lessons when I was at school 30 years ago. I hardly ever use cash (my wife hates it when I use contactless for something for 25p in Tesco) but it's not going away completely any time soon.

36 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

If you to lend someone a fiver do they need to carry a machine with them ?I’m never without cash.

Can you lend us a fiver?

It's a good point actually. Far more likely to come across a cash ONLY place and I've had to 'lend' friends cash. Refusing to carry cash can probably save you a tidy sum, though not having any on card would save you £20 at Colchester apparently.

The government doesn't like cash as it helps builders and small businesses avoid paying tax. Funnily enough the likes of Google and Amazon are 100% online and therefore cashless but the government is happy for them to pay zero tax. Maybe builders could club together and promise well paying jobs to and spend fat sums on 'hospitality' for politicians and top civil servants. Then suddenly we'd start becoming a cash only society.

5 hours ago, geosname said:

Will card readers be issued to the homeless?

Will charity boxes be swipe enabled?

Will everyone be granted a bank account no matter what their circumstances?

Markets/car boots/street vendors/school fairs/instant reissue of cards on loss...... just a few of the relatively minor problems..... add in the costs of using a card abroad..... rubbish exchange rates/high bank charges/certain cards unacceptable etc.

An old adage...... if a computer can write it it can also rewrite it.

The obvious problem is system failures/power outages/hacks. 

The buskers on the London Underground now have card readers, geo!

6 hours ago, geosname said:

As a matter of principal I'm against anything that allows the mass collection of data.

Geo, I think that was one of the major concerns when 'Banks went electronic back in the 1990s -  the ability for governments to eventually 'centralise' all and every digital transaction.

Apart from the obvious not having enough I've had 3 problems paying cash.

I bought 2 pay as you go phones in Hanley,  paid cash to be told I couldn't have them unless I provided my details.... after some discussion I took the phones without my details.

I purchased some equipment, about £400, same as above, I went to another supplier.

I booked a hotel for 3 days, UK,  arrived paid cash to be told I couldn't have the room if I didn't have a credit card..... another discussion.... they agreed I could have the room if I provided my passport and driving licence... I found another hotel.

If legal tender becomes unacceptable we have problems.

You've got to ask yourself why changes are made and who benefits. As is usually the case it's big business, banks and those in power who benefit. I have a card but will always pay cash for any in person transactions.

15 minutes ago, portvaleofbelvoir said:

I don’t like the surveillance society and while I’ll pay on card for larger transactions I always have cash on me when out. 

It’s important we keep using cash as if we don’t the freedom to use it will keep ebbing away.

No mobile phone? Access to ATMs is becoming more difficult in rural areas. 

Archived