Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

A pity really because his pace was an asset to the squad. He'll always be fondly remembered by me as he scored one of the most important goals in recent history against Chesterfield last year. Hope he gets his career back on track.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, robf said:

Is it possible that this was agreed before yesterday's deadline but has only announced as news today?

If he was released before yesterday's deadline, I think he can still go to another League club as a free agent.

So he gets a pay off from us and both him and his agent get a better signing on fee as a free agent, nice work Ben! 

I doubt he’ll have got his full years wage, I guess they would have come to an agreement on a reduced amount. This is what happens when a club don’t want a player though.

His farewell statement on Twitter includes the phrase “Due to the way I have been treated I have decided to move on”

Sounds like Ben is claiming his lack of success is down to other people and not himself... I won’t comment on whether that mirrors his playing performances! 

18 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

His farewell statement on Twitter includes the phrase “Due to the way I have been treated I have decided to move on”

Sounds like Ben is claiming his lack of success is down to other people and not himself... I won’t comment on whether that mirrors his playing performances! 

He can practice saying "do you want fries with that" now... 

23 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He can practice saying "do you want fries with that" now... 

So was Ben Whitfield’s demise due to his attitude, his form , his off field antics or the fact that Askey didn’t rate him ?? 

15 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

So was Ben Whitfield’s demise due to his attitude, his form , his off field antics or the fact that Askey didn’t rate him ?? 

I suspect the fourth was due to the first three. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm a bit behind the curve on this, but I can't recall hearing any rumours about Whitfield's attitude and off field misdeeds unlike, say, Hannant and Miller last season. Obviously, that's not to say he was well behaved, just a bit surprised.

I couldn’t see that on Twitter, maybe he deleted it.

It’s a pity he didn’t turn up for games as often as say the Luton or Chesterfield matches. Had he been more consistent he would either be a regular starter for us or playing at a higher level. One of those players that flattered to deceive because of his inconsistency IMO. 

Edited by PV1973

There was a player in there. Sad to see him go. He's a lot better than some we've got. Something must have gone on behind the scenes I guess. Aspo started him first game last season.  Scored a great goal. Anyway, all the best Ben. No hard feelings from this Vale fan mate. You can play for sure.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I couldn’t see that on Twitter, maybe he deleted it.

It’s a pity he didn’t turn up for games as often as say the Luton or Chesterfield matches. Had he been more consistent he would either be a regular starter for us or playing at a higher level. One of those players that flattered to deceive because of his inconsistency IMO. 

It's still there, look in his tweets and replies.

I always feel a bit sad when a player doesn't make the grade but I genuinely think that this was entirely down to Whitfield rather than Askey being mean or whatever. You need to work your berries off if you want to play for a professional team; as lowly as Vale are at present, you still need to be one of the top, I dunno, 500 players in your position in this country to make it here and you're not going to get to that stage by being a bit of a twig.

• Thanks 1

Do supporters actually believe that IF Whitfield was going to score say 15 goals from mid field this season that Askey wouldn't want him at the club ?

I think the manager understands the team far better than the supporters and if he doesn't want him then it's cheerio.

Also, I want it to be the managers decision who he has in his squad, not any out side influences aka Smurthwaite.

Came across this, someone we were widely tipped to sign. Very odd he's still without a club as he was one of the standout players in the league at the back end of last season. Gives a good interview. Surely someone in the West Midlands/ North West needs a creative midfield player who scores and assists goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I always feel a bit sad when a player doesn't make the grade but I genuinely think that this was entirely down to Whitfield rather than Askey being mean or whatever. You need to work your berries off if you want to play for a professional team; as lowly as Vale are at present, you still need to be one of the top, I dunno, 500 players in your position in this country to make it here and you're not going to get to that stage by being a bit of a twig.

The frustrating thing is that we’ve seen what he can do, but only in fleeting glimpses. You actually make a good point there at the end, fans moan at the ground and on here that so and so is rubbish, non league quality etc etc, but the reality is that these players (despite our current position) are in the main pretty good. But you need more than just a bit of talent, you need to be mentally strong, committed, hard working, have the right attitude, character and a bit of luck along the way too. There are a lot of factors that go to making it as a pro. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

He has gone but not had a fair chance this season.

Askey said he would give everyone a chance, he has not. If Whitfield did something wrong tell the fans, dont leave us thinking bad things.

All the best Ben I rated you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I've always thought that Whitfield is a reasonable player but his problem to me is that he's not as good as he thinks he is.

I know who I would pick if I had to bring a game changer off the bench after 70 mins and it wouldn’t be Lloyd but Whitfield every time.

Strange that we have got rid of Hannant and Whitfield but signed Lloyd.

But they haven’t played for Macc Reserves.

41 minutes ago, JRC said:

Came across this, someone we were widely tipped to sign. Very odd he's still without a club as he was one of the standout players in the league at the back end of last season. Gives a good interview. Surely someone in the West Midlands/ North West needs a creative midfield player who scores and assists goals.

You never know.Whitfield leaving May have freed up some money to pay Durrell.