Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

Come July next year we’ve got more players out of contract like Smith, Gibbons, Monty. So it could be a busy Dec / Jan if those players play well enough for the club to feel they need to earn a new deal. We had the same last year when the club were offering deals to Manny and Hannant in January and they turned them down. 

Edited by PV1973

12 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Depends which way you look at it. Someone like amoo who is proven at this level should have been given a 2 year deal. The issue with all these 1 year deals is what if someone really impresses? Makes it very easy for someone to come in and sign them. We don’t want to be in a position come summer where half are leaving because they’re contract has expired and others because they’ve now received other offers. For me amoo should have been given a 2 year deal and it makes no sense him being on a 1 year deal especially with how impressive he’s been. He needs to be offered another year before other teams start sniffing around. 

How do you know what Amoo has agreed with the Vale ? He could have asked for a one year contract with an extension if he wants to stay and he's settled in the area.

He wouldn't have signed a one year deal if he felt he deserved a two year deal.

48 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

So Whitfield will be staying until at least December? Poor guy.

I can’t understand Whitfield at all. 

39 minutes ago, blackdog said:

How do you know what Amoo has agreed with the Vale ? He could have asked for a one year contract with an extension if he wants to stay and he's settled in the area.

He wouldn't have signed a one year deal if he felt he deserved a two year deal.

Would be quite strange for a player to want to sign a one year deal than two. Maybe he did, just hope we sign him up for longer. 

47 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I can’t understand Whitfield at all. 

I dont think anyone can - You can have all the talent in the world but if your head is not right then you will struggle to get on in the game. Many Many would be footballers think they are better than they are and that others should pander to them and their desires which often leads to adolescent behavior issues when people dont think as they do. Ben's problem, in my opinion, is that he still thinks he is good enough to be at a premier club rather than the Vale. He is also easily lead by other less talented people into taking the wrong path.      If he has a decent agent then he/she should give Ben a serious shake up into the reality of life in general. Ben needs to bend over backwards to get back int the Vale setup OR take a leap of faith somewhere else and see if his career kicks on. If he does that and he fails to make the grade there then he has the answer that HE needs to improve not everyone else, but if his career takes off and he steadily climbs the leagues he can look back at Vale and saw, Your Loss, my gain. Either way its purely down to Ben if he goes on to become a proper footballer or one of those hundreds that falls by the wayside . 

Maybe whitfield just isn’t that good after all and right now doesn’t have the quality, consistency or the mentality to make it in league football. It needs a big turn around from him at this point to rescue himself a career.

1 minute ago, PV1973 said:

Maybe whitfield just isn’t that good after all and right now doesn’t have the quality, consistency or the mentality to make it in league football. It needs a big turn around from him at this point to rescue himself a career.

He had a trial at Cheltenham but nothing came of it.  Who knows if this was down to them not wanting him or Whitfield asking for too much money? 

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

He had a trial at Cheltenham but nothing came of it.  Who knows if this was down to them not wanting him or Whitfield asking for too much money? 

Let’s say it was the latter..... At this point he should be thinking that he needs to try and salvage what he can of his  career and start afresh, if that means taking a pay cut or dropping down a league then so be it. The ball is in his court to back his own talent and prove to Vale that it was wrong to cut him loose.

12 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

That is true. But Wilson had been injured all season prior and you wouldn’t have found anyone at the time who’d have thought a 2 year deal for Whitfield was a bad thing. 

2 years for key first team players is a must imo, the rest fair enough but for me personally I’d be getting amoo signed up for another year ASAP. Don’t want to have a situation come January that he has say 7 goals and teams come sniffing. 12 months with an option probably best option as you say, just hope we have that option. 

Wilson played 26 times the season before in a promotion winning side.  On paper looked a good signing.

Agree with what you are saying about most wanting Whitfield on a 2 year deal which confirms what I am saying in that there are no guarantees.  I would say Aspo never seemed that keen on him (nor Askey or Cheltenham since), so maybe he was the Bloated ones vanity project.

From what I have seen of Amoo so far I also hope he stays in Burslem for longer than 1 year.

10 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

He could still go to a non league club but would have to take a pay cut unless Vale paid up some of his contract. 

He won't be worth more in another year if he doesn't play much this year. I wonder if he has any workplace skills to enable him to get a job when his Vale contract runs out? 

I’m sad about this, he seemed so enthusiastic in his first spell and got his head turned. I’m not sure if there were behind the scenes issues but I hope he gets his career back on track and wish him well.... except against us obviously.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

He could still go to a non league club but would have to take a pay cut unless Vale paid up some of his contract. 

Is it possible that this was agreed before yesterday's deadline but has only announced as news today?

If he was released before yesterday's deadline, I think he can still go to another League club as a free agent.

Personally I’m sorry that it’s ended like this for him. Reading between the lines, his problems would appear to be more off the pitch than on it.

It’s a shame, both for him personally and Vale as a team, that it didn’t work out better here. 

But good luck to the lad.

• Like 1