Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

Like Valist said, I dunno, but I always thought that only counted if a young player we have developed contracts expired. Then as long as we offer him a new contract on at least the same terms we would be due the compensation for how long he's been here and that if he moved elsewhere. If he is still under contract, couldn't we be daft enough to still turn 2 million down if we wanted to? I remember a few moans to some rule changes a few years back along the lines of something to do with teams higher up being able to nab other players easily and cheaply but I can't remember what that was.

3 minutes ago, glenpvfc said:

Like Valist said, I dunno, but I always thought that only counted if a young player we have developed contracts expired. Then as long as we offer him a new contract on at least the same terms we would be due the compensation for how long he's been here and that if he moved elsewhere. If he is still under contract, couldn't we be daft enough to still turn 2 million down if we wanted to? I remember a few moans to some rule changes a few years back along the lines of something to do with teams higher up being able to nab other players easily and cheaply but I can't remember what that was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41839083

System up to 16. I think scholarships are 2 year contracts so from 16 to 18 players are then contracted to a club.

https://www.lawinsport.com/content/sports/item/determining-the-level-of-compensation-for-out-of-contract-football-players-the-fpcc-danny-ings-award

Overview of 18 to 24.

• Like 1

UV saying:

Shaun Brisley, defender from notts, lots of experience but many will focus on the fact he played for Macc many moons and many clubs ago. Spent time in the championship.

Jordan Archer, striker from Bury, scored a few in the national league but nothing to set the world on fire.

Jake Taylor, Midfielder on loan from Forrest.

Unofficial vale reporting its shaun Brisley, Jordan Archer and Jake Taylor from Notts forest on loan

Archer looked very bright in that friendly with Bury. Brisley... Erm yeah. I know nothing about Taylor so I'll ressrve judgement there but hopefully he adds that extra quality we need when we are down a few players next time.

UV saying:
Shaun Brisley, defender from notts, lots of experience but many will focus on the fact he played for Macc many moons and many clubs ago. Spent time in the championship.
Jordan Archer, striker from Bury, scored a few in the national league but nothing to set the world on fire.
Jake Taylor, Midfielder on loan from Forrest.
Beat me too it!

Archer has pace, can also play wide

Brisley will be solid enough, bags of experience

Taylor I don’t know much about , other than he can slot in at LB if needed

• Like 1

Another three players in would help the squad, but I thought the 2 mentioned were supposedly loan players from league one teams.

Archer had a 1 in 4 minutes per goal ratio last season (although only scored 4 in total!). At 6'3 he's another big lad up top along with Pope and Bennett. Can play on the wing too but I'd personally have preferred a nippy pacey player rather than another target man. I'm not sure why we have 4 strikers when we play with 1 up top. Creativity is the issue with us! A JMW or Mark Marshall type is what we needed.

Brisley has good experience and could hopefully be a decent backup to Smith and Legge.

Again though, all 3 seem like yet more squad players to sit on the bench!

Edited by valeparklife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Archer had a 1 in 4 minutes per goal ratio last season (although only scored 4 in total!). At 6'3 he's another big lad up top along with Pope and Bennett. Can play on the wing too but I'd personally have preferred a nippy pacey player rather than another target man. I'm not sure why we have 4 strikers when we play with 1 up top. Creativity is the issue with us! A JMW or Mark Marshall type is what we needed.

Brisley has good experience and could hopefully be a decent backup to Smith and Legge.

Again though, all 3 seem like yet more squad players to sit on the bench!

We've got 4 wingers (Browne, Amoo, Montano, Worrall) plus Lloyd, Campbell-Gordon and probably Archer who can also play there. Any 2 of Montano, Worrall and Amoo Are as good a pair of wingers as any team in this league. Not sure we need more in those positions. 

Brisley is genuine competition for Smith and Legge. Solid enough with the aerial stuff, not a footballing centrehalf but a defender.

I've no idea about Archer. Caused us problems in the friendly. Ryan Lowe seems a decent judge of players and paid a fee for him 12 months ago. Other clubs were also in for him at the time.

Taylor is someone we've chased for a while, so not just a deadline day need for bums on seats. Forest see him as a first team prospect in 12 months. I know nothing about him but it's not a panic signing.

Gut reaction is Brisley and Taylor are genuinely in contention. Archer probably 4th choice as things stand.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

Phil Bowers has now confirmed we should be signing those three today.

I assume this also means there's no room for Will Patching.

If he's still training with us maybe. As he's out of contract there is no rush to sign him. May well have been let go already. 

If he's still training with us maybe. As he's out of contract there is no rush to sign him. May well have been let go already. 
Two of those three are out of contract (Archer and Brisley)

4 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
20 minutes ago, JRC said:

Two of those three are out of contract (Archer and Brisley)

Archer interviewed for a newspaper in Chester yesterday  and he's got offers on the table from other clubs. No idea if Brisley is in a similar situation.