Jump to content
Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

Recommended Posts


29 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

The one position we don’t need is a striker. Need a centre half to replace rawlinson and then a decent midfielder 

Askey must have faith in his replacements, because midfield looks pretty threadbare to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We do need another striker since we only have three. Strikers can drop back to midfield and do a job whereas midfielders rarely make good improvised strikers. 

You underestimate the work of a midfield player.

Pope,Bennett,Cullen playing in midfield ! No way. Lets put Joyce,Conlon,Lloyd up front at the same time ! No way

Our midfield is weak with a full squad to choose from and nothing on the bench to change it. The back four too is weak and again nothing on the bench to change it around.

We do have strikers and wide men, plenty of them, just hope they are capable of getting the goals we need but midfield is the bigger problem area followed by the back four.

We need one midfield player is the starting 11 and one defender. Urgent

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was my point though, midfielders are not strikers but strikers have some attributes which allow them to perform adequately in midfield with support from proper midfielders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, davehartshill said:

We don’t need any strikers.. we need a midfield enforcer and a centre back.

We have a decent striker in Cullen but Askey won’t play him because he plays with one striker up front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with many people on here, we don't need a striker - Pope, Cullen and Bennett are good enough at this level.

We need a replacement for Manny - someone strong and athletic to get about the pitch.

I'd also say we need a natural LB but I've been saying this all summer!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how are the fringe players getting match fit ( I don't mean training fit ) the first team have played six games the rest one game against wolves bringing in two more player will mean two players joining the rest with no games to play. other than now and again friendly's 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We do need another striker since we only have three. Strikers can drop back to midfield and do a job whereas midfielders rarely make good improvised strikers. 

Don’t think we need a forward personally. We play with one up top as well, Browne can play there if need be. 

We look very weak on the middle. I think we needed a cm even before manny was injured. Need a cb due to allowing rawlinson to leave so need some cover there, but a cm who is good enough to start is vital. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't score enough goals last season, a striker or attacking midfielder with a good goalscoring record might be useful. I wonder what is happening with Ben Whitfield now. If he doesn't find a club soon he will be stuck with us until January. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheshirevaliant said:

Kennedy has replaced Rawlinson hasn't he?

We had both at the same time so I don't think so.

Smith, Legge, Kennedy are the only CB's we have, unless Crookes plays in his proper position too - bit then we have 0 LB's!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rsb said:

how are the fringe players getting match fit ( I don't mean training fit ) the first team have played six games the rest one game against wolves bringing in two more player will mean two players joining the rest with no games to play. other than now and again friendly's 

The Central Leagues are now down to 12 teams so only 22 games. I think Askey's point that a trip to Scunthorpe only to find they were putting out a youth team was a waste of time and effort. Probably more to be gained from playing a mixture of local U23 sides and clubs within 60 miles who bring a proper reserve team. If we could have got into Central League North West the travel times would have been much less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rsb said:

how are the fringe players getting match fit ( I don't mean training fit ) the first team have played six games the rest one game against wolves bringing in two more player will mean two players joining the rest with no games to play. other than now and again friendly's 

According to Arthur in today’s Sentinel we played Wolves yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Don’t think we need a forward personally. We play with one up top as well, Browne can play there if need be. 

We look very weak on the middle. I think we needed a cm even before manny was injured. Need a cb due to allowing rawlinson to leave so need some cover there, but a cm who is good enough to start is vital. 

We didn’t score enough goals last season, and I don’t see us being that much more prolific this, so I think a forward plus replacement for Rawlinson along with a strong central midfielder must be added before the deadline.

We've hamstrung ourselves a bit by signing an injured player in Browne, who’d have probably played in place of Montano on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We didn’t score enough goals last season, and I don’t see us being that much more prolific this, so I think a forward plus replacement for Rawlinson along with a strong central midfielder must be added before the deadline.

We've hamstrung ourselves a bit by signing an injured player in Browne, who’d have probably played in place of Montano on Saturday.

Think we have enough goals up top this time personally. Pope should get 10-15. Bennett has already got 2 and Cullen scored a fair few last time he was at this level, I’d hope the likes of Worrall can contribute more in terms of goals and we have amoo whonhas two as well. For me we’re so much weaker in the middle than up top. Especially with manny out. 

At the moment we have 3 out and out strikers fit who are all decent and have played at this level. In terms of centre mids we have Joyce and Conlon who are out and out centre mids fit. For me we’re desperate for someone there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to know why Askey thinks that his midfield is sufficient.

As I see it, we have a first choice of Joyce, Conlon and Manny.

First replacement is Worrall, which weakens the frame of the team, as he is lost to the right wing.

After that, it's Lloyd and Burgess.

Seems really lacking to me, which is why I'd love to know why the management seem content.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SFBT said:

As I see it, we have a first choice of Joyce, Conlon and Manny.

First replacement is Worrall, which weakens the frame of the team, as he is lost to the right wing.

After that, it's Lloyd and Burgess.

Seems really lacking to me, which is why I'd love to know why the management seem content.

Manny is the only player in the midfield with the power to carry that ball up the pitch. Joyce and Conlon compliment him nicely, but they are similar players who can get the ball and just pass it on and keep things ticking over. If they are given the time to do that. Their pass completion ratio must be through the roof as they keep it simple. That’s no disrespect to them because they are what they are. But we need something other than that. They aren’t players to take the ball up the pitch 30 yards, they aren’t going to be out muscling the opposition, they aren’t going to battling and winning important headers all over the place. That’s why for me someone to compete with manny is a must. A strong midfielder. It’s all well and good having players like amoo, Gibbons, Worrall or Monty who can take the ball up the wing and get us into the opposition half, but we need that in the middle of the pitch too IMO. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy