Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a couple of weeks to go to the deadline I'd still expect Whitfield to leave. Otherwise he's stuck in the stiffs and vegetating which in no good for anyone, him least of all.

With Rawlinson off the books that should give us a bit of leeway to strengthen. The loan market too is I believe something we are looking at.

For me our aim ought to be to look at players who can make a difference and not just more squad players to sit on the bench but it's easier said than done.

11 minutes ago, TheSage said:

With a couple of weeks to go to the deadline I'd still expect Whitfield to leave. Otherwise he's stuck in the stiffs and vegetating which in no good for anyone, him least of all.

With Rawlinson off the books that should give us a bit of leeway to strengthen. The loan market too is I believe something we are looking at.

For me our aim ought to be to look at players who can make a difference and not just more squad players to sit on the bench but it's easier said than done.

Completely agree with the final paragraph. When you look at the average wages in the leagues above there is a very small pool of players better than our best 14 or 15 who we can afford. 

There's also been an interesting trend of Scottish teams recruiting from the division 2 pool. Historically Scotland has had a surfeit of talent. 15 years ago SPL clubs wouldn't have been coming in for the likes of Sam Foley and Jon Guthrie. Not sure how much the quality of Scottish players has declined and how much English players have improved but it makes league 2 recruitment more difficult.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Completely agree with the final paragraph. When you look at the average wages in the leagues above there is a very small pool of players better than our best 14 or 15 who we can afford. 

There's also been an interesting trend of Scottish teams recruiting from the division 2 pool. Historically Scotland has had a surfeit of talent. 15 years ago SPL clubs wouldn't have been coming in for the likes of Sam Foley and Jon Guthrie. Not sure how much the quality of Scottish players has declined and how much English players have improved but it makes league 2 recruitment more difficult.

Maybe Scotland has the same problem as we have here in Denmark. In that the quality of the players, don't match the price and the salary they require. Which has seen the Danish League, even the second best league, have an absolute s...load of players from the Baltics and Africa. They don't improve the Leagues at all, bar maybe a handful across the League,  the rest are not better than the young Danish players, but are much much cheaper for the clubs. 
I can imagine, it's cheaper for the likes of Falkirk and Motherwell, to sign experienced League 2 players, that are cheap compared to young homegrown players, who are paid way ott at Celtic or Rangers, who they have to teach the mens game first, on top of the spending. Just a thought...

1 hour ago, pjg1876 said:

The fans seem to want a left back and a box to box midfielder. The management want a centre back and a striker. What can they see that we can’t?

If you can't see that we are desperate for a striker it's time to give up see the railway men have sig ned another striker 

Thought Crookes was excellent at Salford and again last night.  I trust the manager to mould the squad - I expect he sees Campbell-Gordon as having the potential to play there as well as other options, and therefore he would prefer to spend his budget elsewhere.

Crookes was excellent last night. I think the area he needs to improve on is going forward, by being on the front foot a bit more to either move the ball faster and go for the return or to get a ball in to the box. Also his positioning in going past our winger too. But seeing as he’s a converted centre half it’s understandable that he won’t have been coached in the things that a normal full back would take for granted during their entire footballing career.

7 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Thought Crookes was excellent at Salford and again last night.  I trust the manager to mould the squad - I expect he sees Campbell-Gordon as having the potential to play there as well as other options, and therefore he would prefer to spend his budget elsewhere.

That's kind of how I see it too. Wikipedia says Callum Evans can play left-back too. So maybe the club are not looking for any more left-back.

From what I've read the club has a lot of faith in Campbell-Gordon and it's noticeable that while the other graduates have been loaned out, there's no suggestion that C-G will be.

That tends to suggest they see him as in contention for a place. I would not be surprised if he starts the odd FLT game.

UV reporting we have taken Will Patching on trial.

19 year old Midfielder so one for the future.

Ex Man City youth graduate and England under 18 representative. The Manchester evening news reported the shock of him being let go as he was considered on the path to being a city player.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-academy-transfer-news-14858900.amp

Signed for Notts county and played 6 games last year.

Has been told to go on loan and decided he would rather end his Notts contract and is now on trial with us.

• Tomo locked this topic

Archived