onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

29 minutes ago, JRC said:

Not sure how much Brisley was to blame for last season at County as he barely played. Was a main stay of the team that finished 5th the season before. County wanted an upgrade on Brisley, who was seen as he was seen as predominantly a player who tackled and won his headers, rather than a ball player. With hindsight those traditional centrehalf virtues may have served them better. I suspect one of his biggest atteactions is we can probably afford him rather than his Macclesfield connection.

Far too sensible a view point.

People don’t like facts, they like an angry rant because he played for Macc 7 years ago.

Forget his time at other league clubs!

Advert

15 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

People don’t like facts, they like an angry rant because he played for Macc 7 years ago.

Yes like every other player we’ve signed. It’s fine if it’s a couple but now it’s 5/6 or even more. Shocking scouting from the club. 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Yes like every other player we’ve signed. It’s fine if it’s a couple but now it’s 5/6 or even more. Shocking scouting from the club. 

I agree that we have over indexed on players from macc as John builds a team he can trust.

What I’m saying is it’s silly to judge a played purely on the fact he played for them 7 years ago... which a few seem to have done. They know nothing about him other than that fact.

Not sure how much Brisley was to blame for last season at County as he barely played. Was a main stay of the team that finished 5th the season before. County wanted an upgrade on Brisley, who was seen as he was seen as predominantly a player who tackled and won his headers, rather than a ball player. With hindsight those traditional centrehalf virtues may have served them better. I suspect one of his biggest atteactions is we can probably afford him rather than his Macclesfield connection.
According to soccerbase he played 26 times? Started the season the he appeared to be dropped only coming back in for the last two games

48 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'm just old fashioned but in division 2 I look at a defence and want to see at least 3 of the defence able to win 60 to 70% of their headers. If they can pass a ball 30 metres I see that a bonus. I thought Chesterfield and Notts County were both guilty of trying to play Championship football without doing the basics.

Time will tell what to make of the Macclesfield connection. Clearly our budget is limited. Will they add more than some cheap squad players on loan from Championship clubs? They're probably less of a gamble as they've played man's football, although probably not as good technically. I felt last season the drop off from our first 11 was quite steep. We'll know by the end of September if we are stronger when all teams are playing squad players in some positions.  To get a guaranteed starter in at centrehalf we probably need to pay Legge wages and we could only do that by shifting Legge off the wage bill. As supporters we can't really make a strong judgement as we don't know who the alternatives were for the same wage demands. I would have liked Guthrie over Brisley .... but Guthrie may well have held out for 1500 plus a week. 

He was replying to a post in which I clearly said I didn't care about his time at Macclesfield.

28 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

He was replying to a post in which I clearly said I didn't care about his time at Macclesfield.

Comment wasn’t aimed at you then... I was merely commenting on how much I liked his post

I think the general point some are making is a fair one - in that we were perhaps expecting 3-4 better, automatic first team players to arrive this summer and at the moment we've only got the one, Amoo, and it's debatable if he's better than Monty. 

I share that disappointment and thought we'd see a few more established new players in our first XI. 

It would be good to see if we can get Cullen in the side alongside Pope but our midfield isn't strong enough to do that, particularly with Oyeleke out. If we had the likes of Griffith and Grant there we could probably play with two strikers but not with Conlon and Worrall as midfielders.  

Plenty of time yet to strengthen but fans are fickle and have been battered from pillar to post in the past three seasons.

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Embarrassing now this is. What is our scouting team doing? It literally is has he played for macc at some time? Yes. Sign him then. Not one of these ex macc players is in the starting 11 and are all back up (probably not particularly good) and we just keep overloading the squad with them. Be lovely if we actually tried to sign a first team player and someone who could heaven forbid improve us! 

Your embarrassing...7 (Seven) years ago he played on loan at Macc,he had a career after that,for Christ sake.

18 hours ago, Walka003 said:

According to unofficial vale, Shaun Brisley is training with us

Close the club. The only person who has done well out of the club in recent years is Smurfwaite. Extorted loads of money out of the Shanahans, who have saved us, but we are left with a club struggling to survive. 

It makes sense for us to sign a lot of ex-Macclesfield players for a number of reasons:

1) Of course, the manager used to manage them in a successful side so he knows them, they know him and they've had success together before.

2) Macclesfield are local, so the players will be local.

3) Macclesfield have had huge financial problems, so are a good club to easily pick players from

4) The budget is quite poor, so we need to sign players as cost effectively as possible.

Yes if his signings aren't making the team and results are poor then Askey will rightly be criticised, but the logic is there for the huge Macc connection.

22 minutes ago, Mario said:

Your embarrassing...7 (Seven) years ago he played on loan at Macc,he had a career after that,for Christ sake.

Yeah it’s fine let’s just keep signing ex macc players. Don’t care if it’s 7 years ago or not the others weren’t 7 years ago. And there’s one think they all seem to have in common.... they’re not good enough for our first team. 

Archived