Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Quiqley was awful so no point comparing.

So when comparing this year’s squad to last years you would like to discount examples where last years squad was rubbish? 

I’m not sure that’s how comparing works

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

??? 

Ive backed askey since he took over and still back him now! Just because I’m not impressed with the signings dosent mean I don’t rate the manager. Askey is our strongest manager for a while and actually seems to understand tactics. But you’ve clearly read some posts where I’ve said I’m not happy with signings and made up that I want askey out / don’t back him. 

I think there is a difference between Hoping he succeeds and actually “backing him”

2 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Quigley nets third in three games as Barrow beat Yeovil.

He’s found his level I reckon. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

It’s exactly the same. None of them will play just as none of the loan players played. At least with them there loan wages were covered. 

A percentage will have been covered, not all. Do you know what percentage or are you peddling an opinion? What percentage of Quigley's wage? Dodds ... there seems some evidence he cost us 800 a week and Chesterfield contributed about 1200. Some of the younger loan players may have just cost board and lodgings. There is no completely free loan signing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

There is only Amoo in the team plus Crookes who was signed on loan by Aspin who are picked in the first eleven.

The other nine signings having been signed by the Manager aren’t in the team and aren’t getting much game time.

75% of our goals have been scored by players signed by the manager.

It does make you wonder. Quigley and Harris start finding the net, Pyke gets picked up by Rochdale and started the other week... was it just poor recruitment by us or has there been something else fundamentally wrong at the club that has dragged down players who maybe aren’t as terrible as they looked with us?

• Like 1

It does make you wonder. Quigley and Harris start finding the net, Pyke gets picked up by Rochdale and started the other week... was it just poor recruitment by us or has there been something else fundamentally wrong at the club that has dragged down players who maybe aren’t as terrible as they looked with us?

Nathan Ferguson has 2 in 3 games for Crawley this season

14 minutes ago, Santa said:

Not one of those players had a chance in the league with us. Firstly because Pope is so good and secondly we didn’t play with 2 up front. So they have to make an impression straight away when they come on. Personally I think they’ve found their level. Judging them on scoring in the league below v the league above is another step up in quality. 

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Quigley nets third in three games as Barrow beat Yeovil.

Mark Harris has netted a few for Wrexham too but I do think they may both have found their level. Apart from a sharp finish in a FLT game, Quigley didn't do anything, while despite their manager saying he did "really well" at Port Vale, I can't remember Harris posing any goal threat while here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vale victory said:

Nathan Ferguson has 2 in 3 games for Crawley this season

He has been at 3 non league clubs since he left us but doesn't seem to have played for their first teams. Be interesting to see if he continues to score.

Edited by Rampant Zebra

12 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He has been at 3 non league clubs since he left us but doesn't seem to have played for their first teams. Be interesting to see if he continues to score.

I think the fact he's taken this long to get into the league says he probably wasn't fully ready when we had him. 

• Thanks 1

We could certainly do with a midfield player who can chip in with 8-10 goals a season. It's a while since we had one.

1 hour ago, Santa said:

Pyke was an odd one.

Top scorer in pre-season for us with about 5 (?) goals and looked set to be the main man.

Then Brown bizarrely dropped him to the bench for the 1st game and rarely played him?

What a way to destroy confidence!

3 hours ago, Santa said:

And Harness, who's gone to L1 Portsmouth for a fee on a three year deal. Although I didn't think he was as bad for us as many others did. Quite liked him.

Edited by toyahw

4 hours ago, TheSage said:

We could certainly do with a midfield player who can chip in with 8-10 goals a season. It's a while since we had one.

Worrall manny conlon and Joyce  won’t get 8 between them

Edited by sandyford_valiant

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

And Harness, who's gone to L1 Portsmouth for a fee on a three year deal. Although I didn't think he was as bad for us as many others did. Quite liked him.

The strangest one is Jules who was signed by Macc then moved to Walsall.

I,m surprised Askey didn’t sign him with his Macc connections.

16 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

Worrall manny conlon and Joyce  won’t get 8 between them

I think if you check the records Oyeleke, Conlon and Joyce have played around 125 games for us and the three of them together have scored 6 times.

Bridge-Wilkinson played 125 times for us and scored 31 goals on his own.

It was something we badly needed to address in the summer and as yet we haven't done so. You can't coach a player to score goals. It's innate. The last number ten we had who could do that in his prime was Dodds (bingo). 

Currently the back four are not chipping in and only Pope for the third year in a row is a natural scorer and a regular first team player. We are so predictable I'm afraid. 

We need to develop a team in which we have 3-4 goal threats and not just one.

It's not rocket science.

• Like 1