onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

Advert

20 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Why would you want a creative player to defend ? No one asks defenders to make things happen at the other end do they ?

As a team you try and get the best out of the players you have available. You’re not going to get the best out of Whitfield by telling him to defend, likewise, you’re not going to get the best out of Crookes by telling him to be a Montano for example.

Any side at any level needs creative players. Defensive minded players may well save games, but creative players win them. Defenders are ten a penny, whereas a player with something different in his locker is not.

In there lies the difference. 

Fair challenge... But Amoo and Montano have to hold appropriate shape, track their men and apply appropriate pressure. 

No player these days get free access to wander around and do what they want... unless they are Neymar.

Ben wasn’t good enough to ignore his other duties.

Just now, valiant_593 said:

Whitfield scored tonight to get a point for Torquay. 

I’m pleased for him, found his level like Quigley, Harris and Elliot.

If his wages have been used on Archer, and he continues in the same vein as his cameo tonight then I’m more than happy.

On 19/08/2019 at 20:20, JRC said:

10 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Check I said Macc Reserves not decent players who could play in the first team.

Players like Lloyd,Kennedy and Burgess we could have got a decent first team player instead of wasting the budget.

Yet we beat a league one team with two of those three playing. Sorry everyone for replying....

Kennedy had a decent game I thought. His distribution isn’t fantastic but he looked solid other than the freak own goal. 

Thought Evans had an okay game too. He looked nervous but his tackling and desire to win the ball backwas there. 

Lloyd had an okay game, too. Looks better in a midfield 3 than as a winger. 

Our squad looks like a decent one for league two. 

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

A front 3 of Amoo, Archer & Worrall is very exciting! Pace, power and energy everywhere!

With Bennett, Browne, Pope and Montano as backup too!

I still feel we're a really good CM short but they're hard to find (and pricey). Someone like a Dave Brammer (without the £500k fee!).

Or a player like “Ray Walker “on loan.

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

A front 3 of Amoo, Archer & Worrall is very exciting! Pace, power and energy everywhere!

With Bennett, Browne, Pope and Montano as backup too!

I still feel we're a really good CM short but they're hard to find (and pricey). Someone like a Dave Brammer (without the £500k fee!).

Not sure Archer should be first choice just yet but a solid debut for him 

Thought Archer last night looked powerful and pacey. Impressed by his performance and his goal was icing on the cake. OK its only one game but was the sort of debut that fills you with hope.  Also quietly impressed with Evans  who had a decent debut. Thought he was mobile with good energy and impressed that he was still going strong at the end.  Maybe a better option than pulling Worrall  back into midfield when cover is needed.

23 hours ago, davehartshill said:

I think he has some quality about him but was never given a decent enough run in the side.

Don’t think he’s a winger, either. He suits a number 10 role in behind a striker, or playing just off a big man up top. 

Hope he does well at Torquay. 

I wish him well, that goal v Chesterfield was vital and we should never forget that.

But, he's failed to make the team regularly under the last 2 managers. Not because he isn't talented enough I presume (As there clearly was something there), but because of something else. Both Aspin and Askey believed in strong work ethics first, and players who didn't have that were always going to have a tough time. There's a reason why two managers didn't pick him regularly, and perhaps that's something for him to think about now he's moved to Torquay.

His treatment by Askey towards the end is not a surprise. He gave him a chance, Ben didn't take it and then Askey obviously wanted him out. So training with the kids, not playing 1st team games, making him be at the club all day without taking part are all moves that are regularly made by managers who want a player out. It worked in the end as they came to a mutual agreement to end the contract. Some players just aren't wanted by certain managers, and as long as everyone is honest with each other then there shouldn't be too many hard feelings. Obviously Ben feels differently in these circumstances, but splashing it on social media that he got treated badly is poor form. Especially when it there are two sides to this story, of which many people are aware of. I'm guessing the club will not respond tit for tat to his accusations.

34 minutes ago, stupers said:

I wish him well, that goal v Chesterfield was vital and we should never forget that.

But, he's failed to make the team regularly under the last 2 managers. Not because he isn't talented enough I presume (As there clearly was something there), but because of something else. Both Aspin and Askey believed in strong work ethics first, and players who didn't have that were always going to have a tough time. There's a reason why two managers didn't pick him regularly, and perhaps that's something for him to think about now he's moved to Torquay.

His treatment by Askey towards the end is not a surprise. He gave him a chance, Ben didn't take it and then Askey obviously wanted him out. So training with the kids, not playing 1st team games, making him be at the club all day without taking part are all moves that are regularly made by managers who want a player out. It worked in the end as they came to a mutual agreement to end the contract. Some players just aren't wanted by certain managers, and as long as everyone is honest with each other then there shouldn't be too many hard feelings. Obviously Ben feels differently in these circumstances, but splashing it on social media that he got treated badly is poor form. Especially when it there are two sides to this story, of which many people are aware of. I'm guessing the club will not respond tit for tat to his accusations.

Now that hes left, would you care to enlighten the ones out of the loop please mate?

My understanding is he was one of the players (Alongside others) that Askey was talking about when referring to lack of discipline unlike anything he'd ever seen. That led to him being transfer listed at the end of the season. Training sessions missed, wasn't up for it when he was there were the least serious of the problems. If someone else wants to come on here and go through perhaps some of the more serious issues then that's up to them (Not sure it would benefit OVF as a website). I would expect that his close friendship with Hannant didn't help, and the fact that the lad was in his early 20s but could never manage 90 minutes for one reason or another.

I don't doubt the fact that Aspin wasn't there often led to the start of this ill-discipline, but when Askey got there he had to bite his tongue until the end of the season. Millenials eh!

Archived