onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

Advert

12 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Another 1 year deal.

Do any of these 1 year deals have options for further years? Could be recruiting another 15 players again next summer!

Precisely what I've thought.

I anticipate many of this Summer's signings to be released next May. Seems indicative that the vast majority of the signings are 'squad-fillers' to get by for a season before we hopefully can be more ambitious with signings next Summer, with an increased playing budget.

33 minutes ago, pjg1876 said:

With the signing of three players, does that mean that Whitfield has been fixed up elsewhere I wonder.

My guess is he hasn't. Askey said he'd try for a couple more around deadline day when wages come down and he did a similar thing at Macclesfield. Looks like Whitfield will be jogging around Burslem park for 4 months or they may come to a settlement so he's a free agent. Outside chance we might offer Patching something, although that trial now looks an insurance policy in case a league one side had come in for Jake Taylor; who I suspect Askey was desperate to get in. He's obviously been working on it for about 6 weeks. I could see the sense in Patching if he just needs toughening up on a three month loan at conference level but with Taylor in, Oyeleke fit again and Worrall the midfield is suddenly looking stronger. Danny Pugh has the role of looking after and scouting youger players out on loan; so they seem to be looking at developing under 23s, without running an U23 side. I think its likely that signing Taylor will free up Campbell-Gordon to go out somewhere for at least a month; which could then be extended unless we have an injury crisis. Probably waiting until after the Shrewsbury game to get a few of the younger players out somewhere.

On 31/08/2019 at 13:35, valeparklife said:

Archer signed.

Another 1 year deal.

Do any of these 1 year deals have options for further years? Could be recruiting another 15 players again next summer!

Thats good surely....We dont want to get lumbered with players who dont fulfill their promise and it makes those players work to a) get another contract of b) Impress another club.

On 31/08/2019 at 13:55, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

...I anticipate many of this Summer's signings to be released next May. Seems indicative that the vast majority of the signings are 'squad-fillers' to get by for a season before we hopefully can be more ambitious with signings next Summer, with an increased playing budget.

Or, maybe, it's just the manager being sensible and seeing whether they're what he wants, without having to pay 2 years wages? If they are we can offer longer...and improved...contracts before the 12 months is up. Possibly, even, that flexibility has been agreed with each player on a 12-month deal? In which case - as I said - sensible!

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Or, maybe, it's just the manager being sensible and seeing whether they're what he wants, without having to pay 2 years wages? If they are we can offer longer...and improved...contracts before the 12 months is up. Possibly, even, that flexibility has been agreed with each player on a 12-month deal? In which case - as I said - sensible!

Depends which way you look at it. Someone like amoo who is proven at this level should have been given a 2 year deal. The issue with all these 1 year deals is what if someone really impresses? Makes it very easy for someone to come in and sign them. We don’t want to be in a position come summer where half are leaving because they’re contract has expired and others because they’ve now received other offers. For me amoo should have been given a 2 year deal and it makes no sense him being on a 1 year deal especially with how impressive he’s been. He needs to be offered another year before other teams start sniffing around. 

I think we are trying to build a team where the players first thought is to stay with us because they like it. Amoo has had injury problems in the past, we need to see how well he performs before offering too long a deal. John has shown that he can recruit players well, anyone who leaves at the first sniff of money isn't a team player. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Depends which way you look at it. Someone like amoo who is proven at this level should have been given a 2 year deal. The issue with all these 1 year deals is what if someone really impresses? Makes it very easy for someone to come in and sign them. We don’t want to be in a position come summer where half are leaving because they’re contract has expired and others because they’ve now received other offers. For me amoo should have been given a 2 year deal and it makes no sense him being on a 1 year deal especially with how impressive he’s been. He needs to be offered another year before other teams start sniffing around. 

I suppose if he plays regularly he could extend his contract in January.

Garlick has a history of offering 12 month deals with an option for another year if they play so many games.

This is why we got lumbered with Tonge and Pugh.

Strange really that Amoo signed a 12 month contract when he could have stated at Cambridge.

Archived