onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

When did we last have a proper left back playing regularly? Was it Tyler Denton? Why do we seem to make do with using converted players there? 

I think you may be right. Last time I saw him was against Colchester when he made an excellent run and crossed for the equaliser. Pity he left imho.

It's all the more noticeable to the likes of us who got used to the likes of Ron Wilson, Alan Tankard and Darren Hughes. Both Aspin and Askew seem to have little feeling for the position. Let's hope Campbell-Gordon comes good - nothing better than a true left back who can defend, make electrifying runs and get in a testing cross.

Advert

40 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I think you may be right. Last time I saw him was against Colchester when he made an excellent run and crossed for the equaliser. Pity he left imho.

It's all the more noticeable to the likes of us who got used to the likes of Ron Wilson, Alan Tankard and Darren Hughes. Both Aspin and Askew seem to have little feeling for the position. Let's hope Campbell-Gordon comes good - nothing better than a true left back who can defend, make electrifying runs and get in a testing cross.

Sounds like a multi million pound footballer there, mate, lol.

57 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Another great tweet from D3D4 football showing a graph of Chances created vs Chances conceded.

We are in the quadrant labelled “Solid, Very creative”

Particularly interesting seen as a lack of creativity has been a mantra of some.

Anyone who says they cannot see the difference in our play this year vs last must be facing away from the pitch!!!

124203A5-4F40-4943-B218-A3D77D7451C7.jpeg

We've been good up until now. But an injury to Manny and Monty meant a reshuffle and a 5-2 defeat! 

I'd be interested to see that graph again after 20 games but we have started well which is good to see!

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

They aren't examples of good leftbacks of the last 50 years it's pretty much all of them. We also paid fees for all of them. The players you describe aren't available for free transfers and if they are command high wages.

14 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We've been good up until now. But an injury to Manny and Monty meant a reshuffle and a 5-2 defeat! 

I'd be interested to see that graph again after 20 games but we have started well which is good to see!

Oyeleke didn't play in our 2 best performances. 10 and 20 games are the right time to judge a team I'd agree - not straight after a first league defeat.

5 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

tisdeano  "versatility is the way"

Worral has played very well in a midfield three as well as a wide forward and there are a number of Askey signings who can play multiple positions.....

Evans RB/LB/DM

Kennedy CB/RB

Crookes LB/CB

Taylor MF/LB

Lloyd MF/LB/LW

Worrall MF/RW

Amoo LW/RW

Montano LW/LB

Bennett CF/LW

Archer CF/RW

Always thought it was the sign of a good footballer or football intelligence the ability to play in more than one position and cope with changes of system or formation.

Personally I completely disagree. These ‘versatile’ players generally average at best in all positions. Just looking at a couple there. Montano. He’s not versatile he’s a winger, not a left back. Lloyd, no chances he’s a left back, crookes no good at centre back, Bennett not fan of him out wide. For me it’s rare you get a player who is as good in their natural position as in there 2nd position 

think you have to be careful building a squad full of these jack of all trade players who don’t exactly excel in any position. For me 3/4 of these are great for cover reasons but just signing more and more versatile players isn’t good. You still need the majority of your players to be a certain for one position. 

Re the new signings. Don’t understand the signing of archer. He’s what we don’t need at all and his record is poor so don’t understand that at all. Quantity signing. 

Briesley - has experience, I’d guess he will move ahead of Kennedy who seems to be a pointless signing as well. Decent 3rd choice. 

Taylor - not seen him play but we were desperate for someone there. Hopefully he’s decent and gets some games unlike others. If he plays he needs to play centre mid. Not left back. 

15 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Jake Taylor on loan until Jan confirmed 

Has anyone seen him play? Just wondering if he can play the DM role to give competition to Joyce? 

4 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Personally I completely disagree. These ‘versatile’ players generally average at best in all positions. Just looking at a couple there. Montano. He’s not versatile he’s a winger, not a left back. Lloyd, no chances he’s a left back, crookes no good at centre back, Bennett not fan of him out wide. For me it’s rare you get a player who is as good in their natural position as in there 2nd position 

think you have to be careful building a squad full of these jack of all trade players who don’t exactly excel in any position. For me 3/4 of these are great for cover reasons but just signing more and more versatile players isn’t good. You still need the majority of your players to be a certain for one position. 

Re the new signings. Don’t understand the signing of archer. He’s what we don’t need at all and his record is poor so don’t understand that at all. Quantity signing. 

Briesley - has experience, I’d guess he will move ahead of Kennedy who seems to be a pointless signing as well. Decent 3rd choice. 

Taylor - not seen him play but we were desperate for someone there. Hopefully he’s decent and gets some games unlike others. If he plays he needs to play centre mid. Not left back. 

Not sure what your issue with the (potential) signing of Archer is? Seems like a few clubs were tracking him a year ago, so must have something about him. I haven’t seen him play, but from the reports I've read, seems like he has raw pace, so will offer us something different up top.  

3 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Has anyone seen him play? Just wondering if he can play the DM role to give competition to Joyce? 

Not sure what your issue with the (potential) signing of Archer is? Seems like a few clubs were tracking him a year ago, so must have something about him. I haven’t seen him play, but from the reports I've read, seems like he has raw pace, so will offer us something different up top.  

Just not to sure if we will ever see him play. We already have a load of players for those positions and there decent players. Hopefully he’s better or as good as the others but just feels like we’re overpacking the squad there. 

35 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Glover LB/CM mainly before we signed him

Walker CB at Villa CM/CB at times

Guppy LW played for England LBW

McCarthy RW played RWB at Bham

Mills CM converted to RB

Swann CB/ CF 

Aspin RB/ CM

Walsh RB/ CM

Earle RW/ CF/ CM

Porter RW/ CM/ RB

Most players have and continue to be able to play in more than one position. The issue is average players never manage to nail down a spot in a side and end up just filling in different positions until someone better gets fit. Oyeleke can play right back, we never see him play there because he's clearly our best midfield player. He could well be the best right back in the squad but we'll never know. 

Current squad you'd say you know which position most are competing for. The exceptions for me are Lloyd and Evans. Maybe Worrall and Amoo are in the same category but in their case they are good enough at this level to start in both positions.

JRC thankyou and bless you.....in football terms and speak....versatile players are a god send....in the modern game post "Total Football" any footballer should be able to do and understand the job that the worker next to them endeavor to achieve but also understand a simple system and change tack as the game changes....Askey has tended to sign players with technical ability but also players who are mobile and hungry.

At the end of the day in terms of the press and transition players need to show energy and be organised but also technical ability on the ball....there is a clear plan and the players to do it .....this is a good manager and many players that fans seemingly attack are good technically and mobile....the point being that it is a very well thought out squad for the money and in terms of building for the future for the first time in ages clever signings not just in terms of experience but young hungry players of good pedegree and more importantly hunger and the new epoch feeling around the club all bodes well......as they said about Askey it is not about money give him time.....the turn around from mayhem to method is remarkable.

Which is very good for a drunk post in the small hours but love football love community love people always absolutely and without any doubt ever about the truth of the people and their right to justice and democracy....peace out.

Signed out Burslem Academicals spelling check impaired fcukd.thankyou.

A good big 'un is always better than a good little 'un, as the actress said to the bishop (never mind, forget it) so I'm pleased to see 6/2 Brisley sign and 6/3 Archer sign. We needed a bit more height and strength in the squad. These new lads will give everyone a boost. Good news.

34 minutes ago, TheSage said:

A good big 'un is always better than a good little 'un, as the actress said to the bishop (never mind, forget it) so I'm pleased to see 6/2 Brisley sign and 6/3 Archer sign. We needed a bit more height and strength in the squad. These new lads will give everyone a boost. Good news.

Has Archer signed ? 

Archived