onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

Reading between the lines of Ardley’s comments he sounds like a player with ability, but perhaps doesn’t like the so called “ugly” side of the game.

Now problem with that, except to say that we already have a player in Whitfield who would be regarded by some as having similar traits.

Yet some fans on here seem only to keen to dispose of Whitfield’s services, whilst applauding the potential signing of a similar type of player.

Strange.

Advert

20 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Reading between the lines of Ardley’s comments he sounds like a player with ability, but perhaps doesn’t like the so called “ugly” side of the game.

Now problem with that, except to say that we already have a player in Whitfield who would be regarded by some as having similar traits.

Yet some fans on here seem only to keen to dispose of Whitfield’s services, whilst applauding the potential signing of a similar type of player.

Strange.

It not that strange though is it?

He plays a different role to Whitfield as a playmaker.

We know Whitfield adds nothing to the team. His stats say so.

What we don’t know is if this Lad will be able to add something... I’m guaranteeing you he will be cheaper that Whitfield and therefore less of an opportunity cost to find out. Basically it’s a cheaper gamble.

Also the criticism of Whitfield was that he didn’t do as asked when it came to defensive work... not that he was weak.

This lad is also younger and has time to develop and work on his ruff housing... if he follows instruction and tries to do his defensive work then he is already better in Askeys eyes.

37 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Reading between the lines of Ardley’s comments he sounds like a player with ability, but perhaps doesn’t like the so called “uglyside of the game.

Strange.

At the moment its just a trial. Had a lot in on trial to date and only signed Browne and the goalkeeper. 

Ben Whitfield needs to make his mind up, does he want to sit around for a year and then get a real job when his contract runs out, or does he want to play football somewhere? He is obviously not in our plans so he needs to find somewhere to play regularly, maybe he needs to adjust his salary expectations. Once the window closes he is stuck playing friendlies for our reserve team until January.

It’s a difficult situation. What would you in his shoes? You can’t find a club yet despite going on trial to a few. Your parent club want you out and have ostracised you to train with the youth in the hope you’ll take a reduced pay off to leave early. But even then you’ve still not got another job to go to. 

23 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

It’s a difficult situation. What would you in his shoes? You can’t find a club yet despite going on trial to a few. Your parent club want you out and have ostracised you to train with the youth in the hope you’ll take a reduced pay off to leave early. But even then you’ve still not got another job to go to. 

We don't really know if he has no offers or only offers on reduced terms. If he's had no offers its certainly hard to criticise him for not taking them. My instinct says he'll be here all season, clubs certainly aren't falling over one another to sign him up. Might be best for everyone to try and loan him to the conference. 

37 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He needs to accept the reality that he doesn't play for Bournemouth any more and decide if he wants to play football or count his money. Harsh I know but that is life as a professional footballer.

It’s easy to look at it from our rose tinted point of view, let’s get him out quickly and free that money up. Why won’t he go? Why can’t he just find a new club?

But if other clubs aren’t in for him at the moment and he has no club to go to then why should he leave just yet? At least he’s keeping fit with the youth team and training every day. If he goes now then we won’t pay him his full salary, it’ll just be a proportion of it. So the players loses out. Even more so if he had no other team to go to. I can see why he’s still here, if it were me I’d still be here too if I had nowhere to go, his name is out there and maybe clubs could pick him up on loan. 

This is the perfect example of why footballers have agents and why players often move when they get chance. A footballer is on his own with no one to look after his interests when a  club doesn’t want them. There is no loyalty in football from anyone, club or player. 

After Patching left the club Neil Ardley said "it’s hard for me to say too much because it can be personal stuff, but Will Patching is a very, very, good footballer in terms of his natural ability. He is very gifted and nobody has ever questioned that."

Here is a thread from the Man City forum: 

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/will-patching.316236

I'm sure it's no big problem if a player can't drive. Doesn't seem to be a bad boy or anything like that. Seems to have all the talent in the world, just a question over his whether he has the right mindset

According to the world of Twitter, we’ve rejected him and he’s now at Morecambe. Difficult to get to without a car
That has come from one of those rubbish "Ex-agent" accounts. Phil Bowers has confirmed he's still on twitter and there's a story on it on radio Stoke

18 hours ago, pjg1876 said:

we have Manny who is a bit of a box to box midfielder and is injured a lot

For me that's the area we need to strengthen if we can. 

There are plenty of options upfront - Cullen, Pope, Bennett as the "traditional" forwards - plus Amoo, Browne and Worrall adding pace to a front three. We have reasonable cover in defence although another centre-half would be useful.

But for me the one thing we don't have much cover for is the attacking/creative force from midfield. The two players who can provide that - Oyeleke and Montano - are the ones who pick up the most injuries. 

So, while it's easy to say on here "go and get a creative attack-minded midfielder" (and much harder in reality to do the deal) that would be the ideal addition for me.

robf

Interesting that within the last hour David Kevan has mentioned Patching as a trialist (still at the club) and described the lad as

a creative attacking midfielder seemingly a bit of a playmaker but also a midfielder who likes to break forward and join the strikers.

So could Patching aged 20 six foot offer something box-to-box maybe not as yet a regular starter but perhaps an option off the bench.

Think that with Pope/Bennett/Cullen as strikers and Amoo/Worrall/Montano/Browne as wingers plus Whitfield while still at the club then that is plenty of options for the front three and the real concern that needs sorting is a centre back before anything else.

Archived