onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

12 minutes ago, gavcradd said:

Rudgie never had massive squads - we had a very definite first eleven and then a handful of backup players who were adequate cover at most. But the first eleven were usually of such quality that no one was shouting for others to be bought in. Quality over quantity. Unless we get an injury or unless we can sign someone of such quality that they'd go almost immediately into the first team, there's no point wasting more money on numbers. 

Still think we need a big centrehalf as cover for Legge. Don't think there's any money left after that anyway. Only one more week before injury cover is irrelevant until January.

Advert

5 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Agree with the first two. 

Joyce is that weird player, that you don't notice until he's not there. He's not flashy in any way, but he does his job and the manager seems to rate him. He actually grew on me last season as it went, and I can actually see what he brings to the team. As I said, he's not flashy as Manny or creative as Conlon, but he's that very important balance player, all teams need in midfield. 

I like Joyce but he's well into his 30s now and he's probably on one of better wages. If he stays may be on a reduced package.

1 hour ago, Danish Valiant said:

I think it's weird, that people are on here crying out for players not playing under several managers, are the solution to all our problems.

I liked Miller as a player type, and he was a nice bloke when you met him and talked to him. But I can still see he didn't exactly burn wholes in the nets all over the League, and obviously had/has problems outside the pitch. Otherwise, he would had been snapped up by another club in the summer, instead of laying bricks now...

The same with Whitfield. Never really fancied him, but he also only got the odd game here and there. He has an fine technical level, but has absolutely zero product of his work. He came on at Bury in the last game last season, and it was like playing with 10 men. He got pushed off the ball like he was a kid and looked no where near ready for League football. But some people like him, all though I'm not sure if it's for his footballing skills and what he added to the team, or because he was nice to their kid or their teen daughter fancied him and both parties liked to have their picture taken with him. I've seldom seen a player, having so many selfies taken with young girls, as him.

Same with Hannant. I liked him as well, especially in the beginning, because he brought something to the team we didn't have at the time. Mainly running his socks off and looked like he actually cared.

But the fact that he had the most crosses in the League, and only a very few assists or assist to the assist, shows that there clearly was something missing. Therefor, I didn't mind that the manager let him go.

Another thing is, people moaning that we are only bringing in players, Askey knows from Macc. I wouldn't be surprised, if it's the same people, that moaned that the Fat One signed all our players, over the managers head, and signing "no names" the managers had never seen before. 

Maybe the new boys are not "big names" or the big profiles we'd all like to see in a Vale shirt. But now, the manager actually knows and trusts his players, and only signs players, they think fit into the clubs charter. And now that is a problem too?

As long as we deliver and make progress on the pitch as well, he could be playing with 11 of his sons and nephews, and I still wouldn't give a flying f...! I just want Vale to do well and make progress on and off the pitch. We have our club back now, so why waste it on making signings we can't afford? They will come in due time, maybe not next season, but the season after. All it takes, is for us all to spend at the club, and the Shanahans to get as much sponsorships and other income, into the club as possible.  

Thats an excellent post .  

2 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

I think it's weird, that people are on here crying out for players not playing under several managers, are the solution to all our problems.

I liked Miller as a player type, and he was a nice bloke when you met him and talked to him. But I can still see he didn't exactly burn wholes in the nets all over the League, and obviously had/has problems outside the pitch. Otherwise, he would had been snapped up by another club in the summer, instead of laying bricks now...

The same with Whitfield. Never really fancied him, but he also only got the odd game here and there. He has an fine technical level, but has absolutely zero product of his work. He came on at Bury in the last game last season, and it was like playing with 10 men. He got pushed off the ball like he was a kid and looked no where near ready for League football. But some people like him, all though I'm not sure if it's for his footballing skills and what he added to the team, or because he was nice to their kid or their teen daughter fancied him and both parties liked to have their picture taken with him. I've seldom seen a player, having so many selfies taken with young girls, as him.

Same with Hannant. I liked him as well, especially in the beginning, because he brought something to the team we didn't have at the time. Mainly running his socks off and looked like he actually cared.

But the fact that he had the most crosses in the League, and only a very few assists or assist to the assist, shows that there clearly was something missing. Therefor, I didn't mind that the manager let him go.

Another thing is, people moaning that we are only bringing in players, Askey knows from Macc. I wouldn't be surprised, if it's the same people, that moaned that the Fat One signed all our players, over the managers head, and signing "no names" the managers had never seen before. 

Maybe the new boys are not "big names" or the big profiles we'd all like to see in a Vale shirt. But now, the manager actually knows and trusts his players, and only signs players, they think fit into the clubs charter. And now that is a problem too?

As long as we deliver and make progress on the pitch as well, he could be playing with 11 of his sons and nephews, and I still wouldn't give a flying f...! I just want Vale to do well and make progress on and off the pitch. We have our club back now, so why waste it on making signings we can't afford? They will come in due time, maybe not next season, but the season after. All it takes, is for us all to spend at the club, and the Shanahans to get as much sponsorships and other income, into the club as possible.  

Agree with this!

As mentioned in another thread ... Almost everyone says that slow and steady improvement is what is required.

Some however seem to only like that approach in theory... as soon as it started happening in practice it wasn’t good enough!

Football fans are a fickle bunch! 

With a couple of weeks to go to the deadline I'd still expect Whitfield to leave. Otherwise he's stuck in the stiffs and vegetating which in no good for anyone, him least of all.

With Rawlinson off the books that should give us a bit of leeway to strengthen. The loan market too is I believe something we are looking at.

For me our aim ought to be to look at players who can make a difference and not just more squad players to sit on the bench but it's easier said than done.

11 minutes ago, TheSage said:

With a couple of weeks to go to the deadline I'd still expect Whitfield to leave. Otherwise he's stuck in the stiffs and vegetating which in no good for anyone, him least of all.

With Rawlinson off the books that should give us a bit of leeway to strengthen. The loan market too is I believe something we are looking at.

For me our aim ought to be to look at players who can make a difference and not just more squad players to sit on the bench but it's easier said than done.

Completely agree with the final paragraph. When you look at the average wages in the leagues above there is a very small pool of players better than our best 14 or 15 who we can afford. 

There's also been an interesting trend of Scottish teams recruiting from the division 2 pool. Historically Scotland has had a surfeit of talent. 15 years ago SPL clubs wouldn't have been coming in for the likes of Sam Foley and Jon Guthrie. Not sure how much the quality of Scottish players has declined and how much English players have improved but it makes league 2 recruitment more difficult.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Completely agree with the final paragraph. When you look at the average wages in the leagues above there is a very small pool of players better than our best 14 or 15 who we can afford. 

There's also been an interesting trend of Scottish teams recruiting from the division 2 pool. Historically Scotland has had a surfeit of talent. 15 years ago SPL clubs wouldn't have been coming in for the likes of Sam Foley and Jon Guthrie. Not sure how much the quality of Scottish players has declined and how much English players have improved but it makes league 2 recruitment more difficult.

Maybe Scotland has the same problem as we have here in Denmark. In that the quality of the players, don't match the price and the salary they require. Which has seen the Danish League, even the second best league, have an absolute s...load of players from the Baltics and Africa. They don't improve the Leagues at all, bar maybe a handful across the League,  the rest are not better than the young Danish players, but are much much cheaper for the clubs. 
I can imagine, it's cheaper for the likes of Falkirk and Motherwell, to sign experienced League 2 players, that are cheap compared to young homegrown players, who are paid way ott at Celtic or Rangers, who they have to teach the mens game first, on top of the spending. Just a thought...

1 hour ago, pjg1876 said:

The fans seem to want a left back and a box to box midfielder. The management want a centre back and a striker. What can they see that we can’t?

If you can't see that we are desperate for a striker it's time to give up see the railway men have sig ned another striker 

Archived