onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

1 hour ago, Aussie Rules said:

In Ben Whitfield's situation I think it's a case of defending the indefensible.

• He was picked up by Bournemouth in 2014 but never played for them - as far as I know
  • Since then he is stated as having made less than 130 appearances in 5? seasons for 3 clubs - Kidderminster, Yeovil and us
  • At 23 I would have thought his appearances to have be much higher

What am I missing?  

What?! 130 appearances is considered bad for a 23 year old? and Bournemouth are a Premier League club you know?

Here is a list of our 21-25 year old players ranked by experience:

Smith, 23, 205 league appearances

Whitfield, 23, 130 league appearances

Lloyd, 25, 126 league appearances

Browne, 23, 122 league appearances

Conlon, 23, 99 league appearances

Burgess, 22, 85 league appearances

Tricket-Smith 23, 77 league appearances (mostly for Leek Town)

Kennedy, 25, 69 league appearances

Evans, 23, 45 league appearances

If you want to criticize Whitfield for not having Nathan Smith's level remarkable consistency and experience for a young lad then the rest of the squad must be absolute trash.

Oh yeah, also:

Oyeleke, 26, 139 league appearances

Advert

3 minutes ago, Wrex said:

What?! 130 appearances is considered bad for a 23 year old? and Bournemouth are a Premier League club you know?

If you want to criticize Whitfield for not having Nathan Smith's level remarkable consistency and experience for a young lad then the rest of the squad must be absolute trash.

Oh yeah, also:

I'd imagine that the majority of those should have "non-" before "league" appearances!

9 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Oh yeah, also:

Most of those are non-league appearances though and it’s deceiving seeing that someone has made as many appearances as Whitfield, because most are sub appearances or he was subbed himself. I’d be willing to take a flyer that someone like Gibbons with half Whitfield’s  number of appearances is probably very close to Whitfield in terms of actual minutes on the pitch. Look at someone like Dan Turner he’s listed as making over 40 appearances for us, sounds impressive, but as we all know he rarely started or finished a game and was mainly a sub.

5 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

According to unofficial vale, Shaun Brisley is training with us

29 years old and 6ft 2 according to the ever reliable height chart that is wiki.

Some of our more special characters will be focused on the fact he played for Macc but that was back in 2012.

Spells at Peterborough, Carlisle and Notts county along with some loan appearances with Northampton, Scunthorpe and Leyton orient.

i don’t know much about him but has the experience as a good age.

53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Most of those are non-league appearances though and it’s deceiving seeing that someone has made as many appearances as Whitfield, because most are sub appearances or he was subbed himself. I’d be willing to take a flyer that someone like Gibbons with half Whitfield’s  number of appearances is probably very close to Whitfield in terms of actual minutes on the pitch. Look at someone like Dan Turner he’s listed as making over 40 appearances for us, sounds impressive, but as we all know he rarely started or finished a game and was mainly a sub.

Taking out the non-league games then the statistics are just as s stark.

Smith, 23, 138 EFL appearances

Whitfield, 23, 101 EFL appearances

Conlon, 23, 98 EFL appearances

Browne, 23, 68 EFL appearances

Oyeleke, 26, 41 EFL appearances

Lloyd, 25, 30 EFL appearances

Kennedy, 25, 23 EFL & SPL league appearances

Burgess, 22, 20 EFL appearances

Evans, 23, 19 EFL appearances

Tricket-Smith 23, 0 EFL appearances

Gibbons had 1,151 minutes on the pitch last season, and Whitfield had 1,526. Though Whitfield had the most substitute appearances in the squad and only Miller, Hannant and Conlon were substituted off more.

29 years old and 6ft 2 according to the ever reliable height chart that is wiki.
Some of our more special characters will be focused on the fact he played for Macc but that was back in 2012.
Spells at Peterborough, Carlisle and Notts county along with some loan appearances with Northampton, Scunthorpe and Leyton orient.
i don’t know much about him but has the experience as a good age.

The Macclesfield connection at vale is unreal

On 05/08/2019 at 21:24, valeparklife said:

Rawlinson was a capable backup CB but clearly Askey doesn't rate him.

We definitely need another CB now.

Donervon Daniels or Alex Lacey would be nice.

Will probably be Shaun Brisley though!

Ha! I was right! Called it 2 weeks ago LOL.

Literally looked at any CB's that were free agents and played for Macclesfield!

We really do need a proper scouting team at Vale.

I'm not bothered that he played at macc. I am bothered that he played alot of games for a Notts defence that conceded enough goals to go down and has been deemed surplus to requirements and replaced by rawlinson in the league below.

Still, this is unofficial vale we are talking about, it's probably Shaun Goater training with us.

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Have you been taking lessons from Ernie?

NOBODY has EVER said these players are “world beaters”.

Ernie is a laughing stock on here and I assume the user most on people’s “ignore list” because of making tripe up like this.

You are better than that. 

Don’t give me the capitals mate, if you don’t like what I say then fine . Block me. I blocked Ernie 2 years ago!

I agree that nobody has ever said they are world beaters, I wish they were , but the link with Macc is unreal. 

13 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I'm not bothered that he played at macc. I am bothered that he played alot of games for a Notts defence that conceded enough goals to go down and has been deemed surplus to requirements and replaced by rawlinson in the league below.

Still, this is unofficial vale we are talking about, it's probably Shaun Goater training with us.

Not sure how much Brisley was to blame for last season at County as he barely played. Was a main stay of the team that finished 5th the season before. County wanted an upgrade on Brisley, who was seen as he was seen as predominantly a player who tackled and won his headers, rather than a ball player. With hindsight those traditional centrehalf virtues may have served them better. I suspect one of his biggest atteactions is we can probably afford him rather than his Macclesfield connection.

14 hours ago, Walka003 said:

According to unofficial vale, Shaun Brisley is training with us

Embarrassing now this is. What is our scouting team doing? It literally is has he played for macc at some time? Yes. Sign him then. Not one of these ex macc players is in the starting 11 and are all back up (probably not particularly good) and we just keep overloading the squad with them. Be lovely if we actually tried to sign a first team player and someone who could heaven forbid improve us! 

10 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Don’t give me the capitals mate, if you don’t like what I say then fine . Block me. I blocked Ernie 2 years ago!

I agree that nobody has ever said they are world beaters, I wish they were , but the link with Macc is unreal. 

I’m not having a dog... but these are the kinds of comments that get everyone riled up. People are happy to just say stuff as fact to stir things up and then  themselves from the comments when it’s pointed out.

Your actual quote is “He’s better than some of the tripe we are being convinced are world beaters”

Now you are saying “I agree that nobody has ever said they are world beaters”

So were we being convinced they are world beaters or not? Or was it just a sensationalist comment?

Also well done for blocking Ern 2 years ago... it took me a lot longer to come to my senses!

That does however mean you won’t have read his most recent posts... they sounded a lot like yours! Almost word for word.

Archived