onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

49 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

He’s better than some of the tripe we are being convinced are world beaters signed by Askey 

And yes, Chesterfield at home was defining as his goal kept us up

Who , in our team , are we being convinced are world beaters ?????. We have what we can afford , we all know that they are NOT world beaters. Just hope that maybe on the odd occasion they can perform like they are. See a lot of people still expecting miracles, not stability.

Advert

51 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Whitfield played in the team when it was at its absolute worst under Aspin and early Askey. Very difficult for any attacking player to shine in those circumstances. 

He is still quite an inexperienced player and needed better guidance, which is down to the coaching staff. The club has a lack of goals and he has the potential to be a great attacking threat. 

Instead with a whole year left on his deal, with wages we are paying each week, he gets cast off. 

Seems like a repeat of the Aspin efforts towards Worrall. 

People forget how good Whitfield was before we signed him permanently. 

Tom Pope also played in the same team and scored 30+ goals in two seasons. How many did Ben score? It wasn't Bens one goal that saved us from relegation, if Tom hadn't scored some of his we would have been relegated anyway. Whitfield is a show pony and until he realises that he isn't Messi he is no use to anyone. 

15 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Tom Pope also played in the same team and scored 30+ goals in two seasons. How many did Ben score? It wasn't Bens one goal that saved us from relegation, if Tom hadn't scored some of his we would have been relegated anyway. Whitfield is a show pony and until he realises that he isn't Messi he is no use to anyone. 

You are completely correct RZ. The reason for my analogy that he saved us was that the Chesterfield game was absolutely pivotal. We looked likely to lose that game once Pugh was sent off and they scored that dubious free kick. We moved 8 points clear with Bens' winner as opposed to 5 clear. It just seemed that moment in the season which turned things in our favour. You can point to all 46 games and say if this happened if that happened but as Pope himself has said he was nearly in tears after winning that game. It was that important.

Last season THAT game for me was Mansfield, the penalty save was the pivotal moment of the season. I doubt we win that game if we go 1-0 down, then confidence is low v Yeovil a few days later so who knows.

It is all surmising and conjecture but there is no doubt it was one of the most important goals in recent history. Does he do it regular enough , no way or he wouldn't be at Vale would he. Funnily enough Conlon only scores wonder goals but can't use his right foot other than for standing on. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Whitfield played in the team when it was at its absolute worst under Aspin and early Askey. Very difficult for any attacking player to shine in those circumstances. 

He is still quite an inexperienced player and needed better guidance, which is down to the coaching staff. The club has a lack of goals and he has the potential to be a great attacking threat. 

Instead with a whole year left on his deal, with wages we are paying each week, he gets cast off. 

Seems like a repeat of the Aspin efforts towards Worrall. 

People forget how good Whitfield was before we signed him permanently. 

He's not inexperienced he's 23 and played 130 first team games. He looks young and plays like an inexperienced player. Liverpool expect the likes of Salah and Man City the likes of Sane and De Bruyne to put in a shift defensively. He was good for a month before we initially tried to sign him. He was pretty average from February until we did sign him last August.

50 minutes ago, JRC said:

He's not inexperienced he's 23 and played 130 first team games. He looks young and plays like an inexperienced player. Liverpool expect the likes of Salah and Man City the likes of Sane and De Bruyne to put in a shift defensively. He was good for a month before we initially tried to sign him. He was pretty average from February until we did sign him last August.

He may have it listed as 130 games but I bet a lot of those are coming on late as a sub. But I think he’s been below average since he got injured at Exeter late in 2017 with the very odd exception along the way. I think whitfield is a moot point anyway, I can’t see anyway back for him with Askey.

54 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He may have it listed as 130 games but I bet a lot of those are coming on late as a sub. But I think he’s been below average since he got injured at Exeter late in 2017 with the very odd exception along the way. I think whitfield is a moot point anyway, I can’t see anyway back for him with Askey.

92 starts 38 off the bench.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

His goal kept us in the football league. Personally I’d have Whitfield on the bench over most of our players. He has quality, dosent always show it but in terms of quality he is a far better option to have off the bench. Playing him where he actually plays would be a start as well. 

This is the thing with Ben... every argument in his favour is an emotional one.

This “his goal kept us in the football league” argument is an emotional. It was one of a number of winning goals that did so. I agree it’s the one we emotionally remember and gave us the biggest relief. But our entire season wasn’t that goal.

Factually, he hasn’t performed.

Emotionally he has given us some memories.

i don’t think we can afford his wages for a few emotional memories.

32 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

This is the thing with Ben... every argument in his favour is an emotional one.

This “his goal kept us in the football league” argument is an emotional. It was one of a number of winning goals that did so. I agree it’s the one we emotionally remember and gave us the biggest relief. But our entire season wasn’t that goal.

Factually, he hasn’t performed.

Emotionally he has given us some memories.

i don’t think we can afford his wages for a few emotional memories.

I know what you mean and agree. I do still think there is more quality there though. And it’s fair to say he wasnt the only one who hasn’t performed. 

Whitfield is one of these players whom fans think are better when they're not in the team!  He has the odd moment of brilliance and a lot of nothingness around it.  Shortly before the key Chesterfield game we played at Cheltenham.  We were 2-1 down with about half an hour to go.  Whitfield came on as one of two attacking subs to try to get an equaliser.  The first thing he did was lose the ball, they scored and we lost 5-1!

At 23 would expect Whitfield to be showing what he has by now , ok not massively experienced but neither is he a babe in arms. Admittedly has only been lightly used but apart from odd games haven't seen enough to justify more. When you consider he was on the fringes of a Premier league club have seen little to justify that. Lets not forget its league 2 level football we are judging him against . Interesting that no one has been in for him which suggests  that Askey isn't alone in not rating him. Also worrying that at 23 he cant last a full game. Not sure how he is off the pitch but if he has the talent on the pitch seems reluctant to show it consistently . Amoo looks a better bet.

6 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

He’s better than some of the tripe we are being convinced are world beaters signed by Askey 

Have you been taking lessons from Ernie?

NOBODY has EVER said these players are “world beaters”.

Ernie is a laughing stock on here and I assume the user most on people’s “ignore list” because of making tripe up like this.

You are better than that. 

In Ben Whitfield's situation I think it's a case of defending the indefensible.

• He was picked up by Bournemouth in 2014 but never played for them - as far as I know
  • Since then he is stated as having made less than 130 appearances in 5? seasons for 3 clubs - Kidderminster, Yeovil and us
  • At 23 I would have thought his appearances to have be much higher

What am I missing?  

4 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Seems like we won't be bringing in another midfielder, as Askey says we are pretty strong in that area, even with Oyeleke missing.

I find that a bit concerning if Oyeleke is going to miss a lot of games again, as is very likely.

Worrying that. I don’t think we’re strong in that area with manny fit. Joyce isn’t good enough and I’m not convinced by Conlon just yet. We’re 100% need a new midfielder. 

Archived