onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

I kept on and on all summer about needing a natural left back for balance. People kept vociferously shooting me down.

"Montano can fill in there"

"Lloyd can play there"

Both + Crookes are not left backs. 

This is nothing against Crookes as he's just playing where his manager has asked him, but he just isn't a LB.

For all the players signed, we still need a LB and a replacement for Oyeleke - minimum.

Advert

On 14/08/2019 at 13:29, valeparklife said:

I kept on and on all summer about needing a natural left back for balance. People kept vociferously shooting me down.

"Montano can fill in there"

"Lloyd can play there"

Both + Crookes are not left backs. 

This is nothing against Crookes as he's just playing where his manager has asked him, but he just isn't a LB.

For all the players signed, we still need a LB and a replacement for Oyeleke - minimum.

Totally agree, what’s happened to Elliott Durrell? He might be a good replacement for Manny. Definitely need an experienced left back too.

3 hours ago, pjg1876 said:

Totally agree, what’s happened to Elliott Durrell? He might be a good replacement for Manny. Definitely need an experienced left back too.

Durrell is a different type of player and very injury prone.

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We need Ben Whitfield to do the decent thing and find another club. 

I have no idea if Whitfield’s alleged off field activities are true or not, however Askey’s treatment of him would tend to indicate that he feels  it is. But to suggest that he himself needs to “do the decent thing” is a bit wide of the mark. 

You can have as many “good characters” in your squad as you like, but if they’re not good enough for the standard required, they are not going to improve the team.

I am not indicating that this alleged sort of behaviour should have a blind eye turned towards it but very few pro players, either old or new, could be described as “squeaky clean”

Inside the last decade we all knew of Gary Roberts’ “problems” but accepted it as he was a decent player.

To me, Whitfield is one player we have who can make a difference on the field. I see very few others who can.

42 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I have no idea if Whitfield’s alleged off field activities are true or not, however Askey’s treatment of him would tend to indicate that he feels  it is. But to suggest that he himself needs to “do the decent thing” is a bit wide of the mark. 

You can have as many “good characters” in your squad as you like, but if they’re not good enough for the standard required, they are not going to improve the team.

I am not indicating that this alleged sort of behaviour should have a blind eye turned towards it but very few pro players, either old or new, could be described as “squeaky clean”

Inside the last decade we all knew of Gary Roberts’ “problems” but accepted it as he was a decent player.

To me, Whitfield is one player we have who can make a difference on the field. I see very few others who can.

Who would you leave out to accommodate Whitfield bearing in mind he is not the most disciplined player in the squad ? 

51 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

This goes back to the old argument about Whitfield.

His stats are terrible... doesn’t change games coming off the bench, win ratio far better without him, goals last season game when games were already decided.

he is exciting for 10 mins and then fades.

1 minute ago, Mario said:

Who would you leave out to accommodate Whitfield bearing in mind he is not the most disciplined player in the squad ? 

Good question.

To accommodate him I suspect you might need to change formation somewhat and play him behind Pope in something of a free role.

I am not advocating that wholesale changes should be made purely to accommodate him, but when we have a squad so devoid of game changing players, I feel that it would be stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water.

We desperately need quality players and, in my opinion, we have one in Whitfield. We certainly won’t sign another with his quality before the window closes, so why ostracise him ? 

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

This goes back to the old argument about Whitfield.

His stats are terrible... doesn’t change games coming off the bench, win ratio far better without him, goals last season game when games were already decided.

he is exciting for 10 mins and then fades.

I.R. forgetting stats and ”moneyball” syndrome and his alleged poor attitude, do you think that he has ability ?

I’m not asking if you think he is worth a place, just simply is he a decent player ?

8 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Good question.

To accommodate him I suspect you might need to change formation somewhat and play him behind Pope in something of a free role.

I am not advocating that wholesale changes should be made purely to accommodate him, but when we have a squad so devoid of game changing players, I feel that it would be stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water.

We desperately need quality players and, in my opinion, we have one in Whitfield. We certainly won’t sign another with his quality before the window closes, so why ostracise him ? 

On the pitch he's all over the shop, remember his chasing down the keeper at Crewe that gave them their 94 minute equaliser,the ball was played through mid field he was nowhere to be seen I understand where you are coming from but if Askey doesn't think he can trust him to do his job then then thats ok by me.

7 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I.R. forgetting stats and ”moneyball” syndrome and his alleged poor attitude, do you think that he has ability ?

I’m not asking if you think he is worth a place, just simply is he a decent player ?

None of the other clubs he has been linked with this summer seem to think so?

2 minutes ago, Mario said:

On the pitch he's all over the shop, remember his chasing down the keeper at Crewe that gave them their 94 minute equaliser,the ball was played through mid field he was nowhere to be seen I understand where you are coming from but if Askey doesn't think he can trust him to do his job then then thats ok by me.

On you’re point about the Crewe game, there were 9 other outfield players ! 

But regards Askey, I suspect that it’s off field activities that really cheese him off, more than his performances on it.

Not that I know of course.

Archived