onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players in and Out

Iron Curtain

Advert

I'm not fully aware of the story behind Grant leaving but he certainly made no secret of his dislike for Norman. Probably fell out over wages or just got understandably fed up back then. Didn't Askey sign him for Shrewsbury? I think we are definitely short of a powerful, strong midfielder but it appears that we are after a defender and a striker only. But plenty can change yet. Isn't the deadline for loans in early September? Not sure.

15 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I'm not fully aware of the story behind Grant leaving but he certainly made no secret of his dislike for Norman. Probably fell out over wages or just got understandably fed up back then. Didn't Askey sign him for Shrewsbury? I think we are definitely short of a powerful, strong midfielder but it appears that we are after a defender and a striker only. But plenty can change yet. Isn't the deadline for loans in early September? Not sure.

We weren't the same side after he left. If Manny is going to be out long term it's not a bad shout.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

He was on good money at Peterborough and on a higher league wage at Shrewsbury, so in all probability outside our budget. He's not a replacement for Oyeleke, as he plays a similar role to Joyce. He's better than Joyce but Joyce has another 12 months on his contract and will be one of our higher paid players. He is trouble as he's fallen out with someone everywhere he's played. Think the issue with us was linked to his desire to force a move away in the January window. We will miss Oyeleke defending set piece, where he is one of our man markers but it's his ability to link the midfield and forwards that makes him important in Askey's side. Foley took that role when he and Grant were playing. I like Grant as a player but he's not a replacement for Oyeleke, apart from his role when defending set pieces.

3 hours ago, JRC said:

We will miss Oyeleke defending set piece, where he is one of our man markers but it's his ability to link the midfield and forwards that makes him important in Askey's side. 

This is the problem, he has attributes our others do not. A bit of physical presence, the ability to takes us ten yards further up the pitch, burst into the box (e.g. the Colchester pen). The stats don't lie. In the league with Manny P30 W10 D11 L 9, average 1.37 points per game. Without P18 W2 D4 L12, average 0.55 points per game.

We have not won a game Manny did not start under Askey.

I guess Burgess, on paper, looks the most likely like for like replacement if we don't bring someone in in that role.

Regarding the wages that Grant is on at Shrewsbury compared to what we could/want to offer him is in my opinion not an excuse for not signing him. I obviously do not know what wages he is on but whatever it is Shrewsbury at the moment will be paying him 100% of it. Let's say for arguments say he is on £2000.00 per week and we wanted him but only wanted to pay him £800.00 per week (assuming Askey wanted him), then surely if Shrewsbury wanted rid of him they would be happy to pay the £1200.00 shortfall. So it would be a win win situation. I personally liked him as a player but would look elsewhere.

Archived