Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Some comments from the Colchester fans forum, always an interesting guide:

“We created a couple of chances late on but a draw was probably fair enough”

“Vale looked very good and we were very ill-prepared in the first twenty mins”

“To say we were ponderous for the first 20 minutes in a bit of an understatement, and we were rightly being run ragged by Port Vale”

I also note that Eastman, their Centre back got MOTM, meaning we must have been doing something right up front.

22 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Why is virtually every thread allowed to descend into this pointless back and forth bickering instigated by the same people? Come on admin sort it out, or just give them their own thread. 

Again I hold my hands up and apologise.

I get passionate around game time and reading calculated inane drivel that is just used to drive a negative agenda winds me up. Im conscious that neutrals read this site and I think it’s right to point out that he is just making stuff up and is that poster that people dread posting.

Its not right that the idiot who just attacks for attacking sense gets a voice that goes unchallenged.

I’d happily debate Ern on a single thread, and have in fact tried that... but he just pollutes every thread with his agenda.... I will set up a thread now and hopefully he and I can have a logical debate on there rather than through other threads. Fingers crossed.

Again, apologies from me... must try harder!

59 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

It’s quite worrying that you keep repeating the same old rubbish to back up your posts. 

Keep taking the happy pills to see the bright side of everything.

We have signed eleven new players but only one in the starting line up.

I suppose you see that as an improvement in your twisted mind.

Two of the eleven were in the starting line up.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Overall I thought that was a good battling performance. A total contrast to last season there. That first 25 minutes or so really showed what we can do. We had both flanks pushing on causing problems for their full backs. We had the midfielders and centre half's getting on the ball and switching play. We were pressing and forcing mistakes, we had a few half decent efforts from Amoo, Manny and Gibbo in there too and the goal was nothing more than we deserved. Worryingly after that 25 minutes our work rate in front of the back 4 dropped, their defenders and midfielders were getting on the ball much more, they were overloading us down the left and we couldn’t get out. In the main our defence kept a really good shape, there was very little space for them to play inbetween our fullbacks and centre half's, which is what the defence work on a lot and most of what they got in to the box was dealt with. Having said that I thought Gibbo was getting too tight and getting in to a holding match with Nouble saw him rolled easily or concede a few free kicks. Disappointing to concede so late in the half, but to be fair they probably deserved it. 

Second half I thought we improved the defensive side in front of the back 4, Worrall put a real shift in until his booking which pretty much killed his defensive duties and him going off was the right move, but he and Gibbo having linked up well attacking in the first 25 minutes were able to link up well defensively and it was a better half in that regard for them.  Amoo faded second half and arguably offered little threat, although I’m not convinced Bennett is the answer there and i thought our left hand side ended up being exposing a bit more in that second half, especially when he came on. Again we dealt really well with a lot of stuff they threw at us, I think Browns only real save came from a cross, unless someone got a touch on it on its way through I couldn’t tell. Both full backs tucked in and covered well at the back post. Smith and a Legge got their and heads and bodies in the way of virtually everything.  We had a couple of decent opportunities ourselves that came down the right, in particular Cullens chance from a great through ball from Gibbo, for all the world I thought he should have taken it early on his left. I’d love to see that one back. Manny ended up with a decent chance to shoot on goal in the last minute too and our work rate never stopped. Joyce, Manny and Conlon put some miles in across that middle too. Manny was relieving pressure by running with the ball, and it was a total contrast to his personal performance at the same ground last year. Colchester are a good side, they have a lot of quick players and players comfortable on the ball, I can see them giving some sides a good hiding at their ground this season.

Overall I was happy with that performance, I didn’t expect us to get anything if I’m honest. For me there were a lot of positives in that game, the first 25 minutes especially how we linked up well and looked to have a pattern of play with intent, with everyone getting involved on the ball. Smith and Legge did well, Gibbons comes out of that with a lot credit too. Worrall goes without saying. But I’d probably put Manny as my man of the match. 

For those listening at home what was Radio Stokes view on the game, team performance and individual performances?

Pretty much what I thought of the game. Watched on ifollow so had radio stoke commentary and I thought they were quite complementary, especially the first 20 minutes they were very impressed. Bowers more so but both impressed. 

I wasn't there so can't comment from a position of authority but it was interesting to hear the CU manager say we were more athletic than last season. Askey clearly felt that we needed to get fitter and run harder and he's obviously continuing in that way now. Maybe that was also the reason for changing subs in the second half and using the full 14 - so that the front three could keep pressing.

I don't know what most of the lads on the bench are like because I've seen little of them (Burgess, etc.) but I would imagine if we went down the loan route then another solid midfielder and a defender would be of use.

For me it was a great point yesterday. They are a couple of years ahead of us in terms of development and recruitment. 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Pretty much what I thought of the game. Watched on ifollow so had radio stoke commentary and I thought they were quite complementary, especially the first 20 minutes they were very impressed. Bowers more so but both impressed. 

I'm in a minority on here [perhaps] but I don't subscribe to the view that RS is unfair in its reporting. I think they say it as it is. Blimey, in the past 3 years we have had NOTHING to get excited about, got relegated once and only by our fingernails escaped the drop twice more. I very often went home from a game fuming and beside myself, so I can understand why the commentators were not particularly complementary. When we do play well and entertain they are fulsome in their praise. Williams was a Vale player and chief scout. He, as much as anyone, wants us to do well, though at times, I agree, he comes across as a bit downbeat. Bowers is a big Vale fan. 

So the Colchester manager said how well we played,their fans said how well we played,yet SOME of our fans aren't happy.

I think we will battle away from home and attack more now at home,i will say now our home form will be a lot better than it was last season and we will be ok.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

I'm in a minority on here [perhaps] but I don't subscribe to the view that RS is unfair in its reporting. I think they say it as it is. Blimey, in the past 3 years we have had NOTHING to get excited about, got relegated once and only by our fingernails escaped the drop twice more. I very often went home from a game fuming and beside myself, so I can understand why the commentators were not particularly complementary. When we do play well and entertain they are fulsome in their praise. Williams was a Vale player and chief scout. He, as much as anyone, wants us to do well, though at times, I agree, he comes across as a bit downbeat. Bowers is a big Vale fan. 

Completely agree. 

A good point that considering Colchester beat us 5-0 on aggregate last season and probably could if they wanted have beaten us by more .

Having seen only brief highlights as away for the night at Warrington as booked go the 80s rewind festival at Capesthorn hall but it was cancelled so went Lpool instead on train from Warrington ,didn’t seem a lot going on in the game but you cannot argue that Brown had little to nothing do so that’s cracking .

There goal seemed a bit soft but it was deserved as they were finishing the half attacking non stop .

Happy with that well done Vale .

As long as the 427 followers enjoyed it that’s all that matters those who didn’t go like me well my opinion is diddly squat .

UTV  

In the short time he was on Monty didn't seem switched on, he had a shot on goal that was blocked and sat there admiring his work instead of springing back to his feet and on another occasion when they were on the break down our right he was just ambling back as though he'd got all day and only realised he'd got go through the gears after a opposition player went steaming past him..... signs of not mentally match fit me thinks

16 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Radio Stokes Vale coverage has a default position of being negative.

The Crewe coverage is equally embarrassing in the opposite direction, how Crewe haven’t won the champions league yet baffles me after listening to Peter Morse.

Crewe reporters and fans took their performance as a positive and felt they deserved something from a game they lost 3-0. They are amazing to hear sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Crewe reporters and fans took their performance as a positive and felt they deserved something from a game they lost 3-0. They are amazing to hear sometimes. 

In fairness it can happen. 

Take Vale 1 Stevenage 4 , at 1-2 we absolutely battered them. 

Though I agree they are a bunch of twonks

Archived