onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester U v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

12 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Do you think Walka003’s comment that is was the same old ****** was reasonable today?

I didn’t... and as you yourself defend, it’s my right to call him out on it.

Oh forgot you are always right and conveniently forget the bad things like after signing 11 new players only having one new signing in the team.Your memory loss must be worse than I thought..

8 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Oh forgot you are always right and conveniently forget the bad things like after signing 11 new players only having one new signing in the team.Your memory loss must be worse than I thought..

But you said all the new signings were crap so surely you didn't want them picked? 

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Dear dear keep your knickers on.

I didn't go so i may be well off. But it sounded like we didn't play well at all second half and created very little from open play. Was that not the issue from last year? Only being able to do it for a half and not clinical?

No....last year we got battered there!!!

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Radio Stokes Vale coverage has a default position of being negative.

The Crewe coverage is equally embarrassing in the opposite direction, how Crewe haven’t won the champions league yet baffles me after listening to Peter Morse.

Don’t think that’s true. Phil Bowers is quite upbeat ,Ray Williams Dunn’s half moan

Gibbons had a good game against a very awkward opponent, Nouble is tall, rangy and skillful, when he runs I bet his elbows are on a level will Gibbo's nose.

Sometimes have to give an opponent credit, Nouble is one of the better players in Lge 2 and will cause many teams problems hence why much of the threat came down Vale's right.

I thought that was a typical away performance under Askey. Hard working, committed and restricting the opposition but we don't create a lot and have a lack of pace throughout the team. Manny was clearly our best player but no one had a stinker and Gibbons got better as the game went on. One up top is Askey's preferred away formation and I dont see last season's away form of not conceding many but scoring many changing much this.

Next week will be interesting. I'd like to see two up front to get us on the front foot and hopefully improve on our dreadful home form but today was decent and a good start to the season.

2 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Welcome to the club.

IC lives in la la land and thinks Askey is taking us to the Premier League.

Usual tactics playing Pope up front on his own to be battered by their big centre backs.

Thank God Manny got us that penalty or we would have lost.

Just hope he has the balls to play two up front at home next Saturday and IC has a  Happy Meal At McDonalds before the game.

" Thank God Manny got us that penalty or we would have lost."

What a daft statement, same as saying if my Aunty had balls she would have been my Uncle.

Welcome to the club.
IC lives in la la land and thinks Askey is taking us to the Premier League.
Usual tactics playing Pope up front on his own to be battered by their big centre backs.
Thank God Manny got us that penalty or we would have lost.
Just hope he has the balls to play two up front at home next Saturday and IC has a  Happy Meal At McDonalds before the game.

Silly , immature Ernie

I can imagine the builders of Rome spending time assembling all the materials and personnel to start construction.... the boss rolls up and says..... right lads, I want this finished today.

I will leave comment on the play to the brave souls who made the journey..... good on ya.

I'm always a little disappointed when we don't win..... I'm always a little pleased when we don't lose... it's only one game but we seemed in it, which is more than can be said of a number of games last season, that's encouraging..... we didn't capitulate as we have done in the past, that's good news.

It's the first step on a long journey.

Overall I thought that was a good battling performance. A total contrast to last season there. That first 25 minutes or so really showed what we can do. We had both flanks pushing on causing problems for their full backs. We had the midfielders and centre half's getting on the ball and switching play. We were pressing and forcing mistakes, we had a few half decent efforts from Amoo, Manny and Gibbo in there too and the goal was nothing more than we deserved. Worryingly after that 25 minutes our work rate in front of the back 4 dropped, their defenders and midfielders were getting on the ball much more, they were overloading us down the left and we couldn’t get out. In the main our defence kept a really good shape, there was very little space for them to play inbetween our fullbacks and centre half's, which is what the defence work on a lot and most of what they got in to the box was dealt with. Having said that I thought Gibbo was getting too tight and getting in to a holding match with Nouble saw him rolled easily or concede a few free kicks. Disappointing to concede so late in the half, but to be fair they probably deserved it. 

Second half I thought we improved the defensive side in front of the back 4, Worrall put a real shift in until his booking which pretty much killed his defensive duties and him going off was the right move, but he and Gibbo having linked up well attacking in the first 25 minutes were able to link up well defensively and it was a better half in that regard for them.  Amoo faded second half and arguably offered little threat, although I’m not convinced Bennett is the answer there and i thought our left hand side ended up being exposing a bit more in that second half, especially when he came on. Again we dealt really well with a lot of stuff they threw at us, I think Browns only real save came from a cross, unless someone got a touch on it on its way through I couldn’t tell. Both full backs tucked in and covered well at the back post. Smith and a Legge got their and heads and bodies in the way of virtually everything.  We had a couple of decent opportunities ourselves that came down the right, in particular Cullens chance from a great through ball from Gibbo, for all the world I thought he should have taken it early on his left. I’d love to see that one back. Manny ended up with a decent chance to shoot on goal in the last minute too and our work rate never stopped. Joyce, Manny and Conlon put some miles in across that middle too. Manny was relieving pressure by running with the ball, and it was a total contrast to his personal performance at the same ground last year. Colchester are a good side, they have a lot of quick players and players comfortable on the ball, I can see them giving some sides a good hiding at their ground this season.

Overall I was happy with that performance, I didn’t expect us to get anything if I’m honest. For me there were a lot of positives in that game, the first 25 minutes especially how we linked up well and looked to have a pattern of play with intent, with everyone getting involved on the ball. Smith and Legge did well, Gibbons comes out of that with a lot credit too. Worrall goes without saying. But I’d probably put Manny as my man of the match. 

For those listening at home what was Radio Stokes view on the game, team performance and individual performances?

Archived